343gremlin

Panic buying at its finest

I woke up this morning... Checked a few sites for 9mm. Luckygunner had two different brands in stock, both of them had over 90 boxes selling at $33 a box.. Check back an hour later, one is sold out and the other has 20 left.... What is wrong here!?! People need ammo that badly theyre willing to double + pay and then have shipping on top of it?!? Wow... Sorry... Had to vent haha. Its really unbelievable

We're 3+ months away from election/Newtown and IMO nothing has calmed down.. Still seeing .223 for .90 cents . 45 for 29.00$ a box.. People freeking camping out at Dicks so they can get 3 boxes..driving 50 miles into PA searching for a box..and now were getting the Stockholm syndrome where we see ammo for $1.00 a round and say "not a great price but for today not bad".. I reckon back to when i walked into a LGS and got federal 5.56 for .33 cents a round in october.. I think the dealers limiting quantities are helping out by imposing a little self control on us..because some people cant

Unfortunately, this may be the new normal. Put yourself in any ammunition supplier's position.

Toyota discovered this some 30 years ago. Why sell 5 $5k Corollas when you can sell 1 $35k Lexus. Only "luxury" ammo is around.

As we reward gouging, they will continue. The average price has been reset--as has the mindset.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that market theory comes through for us and eventually panicky demand will go down. Or else there are going to be a lot fewer gun owners.

Unfortunately the supply will be kept artificially low due to the current political environment. There are few producers who will feel confident enough in demand to invest any substantial capital in production. And the barriers to entry are also artificially high due to political pressure especially on the east and west coasts.

This situation has the potential to exist for quite a while, until the bubble finally bursts and even then I think the pricing will be permanently "re-set". Especially with the dollar falling in value due to all of the $$ that has been printed and infused into our economy in the form of stimulus and the fact that developing countries are now competing for commodities.

Call me utopian but if we would collectively just take a freeking brake from buying for a couple of weeks we would see a tangible positive change in the supply/ price spread..testing out the market theory..but im also realistic and know this would never happen

I woke up this morning... Checked a few sites for 9mm. Luckygunner had two different brands in stock, both of them had over 90 boxes selling at $33 a box.. Check back an hour later, one is sold out and the other has 20 left.... What is wrong here!?! People need ammo that badly theyre willing to double + pay and then have shipping on top of it?!? Wow... Sorry... Had to vent haha. Its really unbelievable

That is nothing. 2 weeks ago I had added ammo to my cart and was still shopping. When I went to checkout, most of the items were sold out. From now on I buy quick and do not spend 15 minutes browsing the website looking for more ammo.

Call me utopian but if we would collectively just take a freeking brake from buying for a couple of weeks we would see a tangible positive change in the supply/ price spread..testing out the market theory..but im also realistic and know this would never happen

Game theory 101...

You go first.

Just read this little nugget.. People waiting 3.5 hours in line to get ammo.. Now its becoming epically sad and disturbing what people will do and pay for rounds..like govt cheese line

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/03/16/thousands-line-up-outside-cal-expo-gun-show-to-buy-ammunition/

Or as Pogo famously said: "We have seen the enemy, and he is us."

We are lucky here in Florida as every Pawn Shop, and there are many in each town, are also gun stores and carry ammo. Some of these shops have been around for 50 years or more and they have very long time connections with vendors and a good ole boy network. They often surprise me by having hard to find guns and ammo in stock when no one else has them. I have been buying ammo from my local Pawn shop cheaper than I can get it online although the prices are still higher than normal. I am lucky that I saw this coming and bought a 1000+ rounds of the calibers I needed at the time. However I saw a guy checking out a new XDs on Friday and as he went to look at a PPS I bought it. You snooze, you lose. So I needed .45 ammo and the Pawn Store had about 25 boxes of PMC at $30 a box so I bought 200 rounds plus 3 boxes of Golden Saber JHP for carry. Checked today online and they want $34 per box plus $15 shipping and a month or more wait for it. This will be enough to test the gun for now and I have plenty of .22, .38 and 9mm to shoot for the rest of the year. If I reduce my range visits from once a week to once a month I will have enough ammo for two years which is more than enough.

It also doesn't help that there are jackasses (some on this very forum) who buy popular calibers they don't need so that they can "sell or trade" to people who can't find any. If you don't need it, don't buy it. We remember those who hoard for personal gain.

It also doesn't help that there are jackasses (some on this very forum) who buy popular calibers they don't need so that they can "sell or trade" to people who can't find any. If you don't need it, don't buy it. We remember those who hoard for personal gain.

Very fair point

On this forum?? Never <_<

It is amazing how fast the stuff goes online. I bought some last week online from Cabelas and thought I was lucky. Got up this morning to find and email that what they said I had and paid for is now back ordered and I will have to wait till April 30th for it to come in. This really sucks. Many of the sites are now limiting sales to only 5 boxes (250 rounds) and when you tack shipping on such a small order it gets expensive fast :( Sure picked a bad time to start getting into shooting!

It is amazing how fast the stuff goes online. I bought some last week online from Cabelas and thought I was lucky. Got up this morning to find and email that what they said I had and paid for is now back ordered and I will have to wait till April 30th for it to come in. This really sucks. Many of the sites are now limiting sales to only 5 boxes (250 rounds) and when you tack shipping on such a small order it gets expensive fast :( Sure picked a bad time to start getting into shooting!

I had a few where I placed the order, received confirmation and then later received an email stating that my order had been cencelled and cannot be back ordered.

I have noticed with Gunbot that 9mm FMJ has averaged more each week with under 50 cents/round a rare sighting. As someone else said, I've had purchases in my online shopping cart sold out as I was still in checkout. A few minutes ago I saw the forum has a new vendor, Alamo Ammo. I clicked on the add, SERIOUSLY, about a dollar per cartridge. I will not entertain the idea!