Sign in to follow this  
JaredC

Does anyone reload .500 s&w???

Jarded, got your PM.

I reload each round for ~83 cents a pop. This assumes the starline brass lasts 3 reloads. I'm running a CCI large rifle primer, 43.1 grains of Hodgdon H110 (Its actually .1 grain over max, but whos counting :p) and a Sierra 350 grain JHP. It pushes them a hair over 1900 FPS which is as hot as you can go. The slow powder and "light" bullet combo produces a nice fireball too.

firehands.jpg

I don't yet reload. I think in my mind I waiting for my small children to grow before I set up a press in the basement. I buy my S&w .500 ammo from cheaper than dirt. Or a random box or two at a store now and then. I was always buying 275 or 300 ish grain rounds. I recently got a box of 400 grain and was shocked at the reduced recoil these produced. Is that common place where heavier bullets always recoil less for a known reason like because the heavier bullet takes up more room and there is less powder in the load or are the particular rounds I got just loaded lighter?

I'm shooting a 540 grain hard cast wfn bullet at around 900 fps. It's still a hoot. And a heck of a lot cheaper than jacketed ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

540 gr? largest i could find was hornady custom 500 gr... hows it kick?

Jarded, got your PM. I reload each round for ~83 cents a pop. This assumes the starline brass lasts 3 reloads. I'm running a CCI large rifle primer, 43.1 grains of Hodgdon H110 (Its actually .1 grain over max, but whos counting :p) and a Sierra 350 grain JHP. It pushes them a hair over 1900 FPS which is as hot as you can go. The slow powder and "light" bullet combo produces a nice fireball too. firehands.jpg

thats awsome... i shot some cheap 500 and it send out a muzzleblast and a plume of smoke... comparable to a 12 gauge blank lol...

im having a hard time finding any 500 rounds up by me... willing to sell any of your reloads?

My 540 is a semi custom load. I have up to 700 or so but haven't time time to try it out yet.

Recoil of a 540 at about 1000 fps is Impressive but controllable with a 5 inch barrel xframe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thats awsome... i shot some cheap 500 and it send out a muzzleblast and a plume of smoke... comparable to a 12 gauge blank lol...

im having a hard time finding any 500 rounds up by me... willing to sell any of your reloads?

Jared,

Due to liability, I dont sell reloads. Especially not when they are loaded to the edge (tecnically, over the edge) of max pressure. 60,000PSI in a handgun is no joke!

EDIT:

I am GlennP, forgot to switch accounts. Ugh!

Jarded, got your PM.

I reload each round for ~83 cents a pop. This assumes the starline brass lasts 3 reloads. I'm running a CCI large rifle primer, 43.1 grains of Hodgdon H110 (Its actually .1 grain over max, but whos counting :p) and a Sierra 350 grain JHP. It pushes them a hair over 1900 FPS which is as hot as you can go. The slow powder and "light" bullet combo produces a nice fireball too.

Have you tried using a LRMP? I reload 454 with aa9 powder and SRMP at max loads. Thinking of trying h110 next for a bit slower powder

Not sure where you are but meltzers in Garfield had at least 6 boxes of 20 last week. Also cheaper than dirt had them and I get them from there.

ill take a ride there tomorrow and see what he has now...

Jared,

Due to liability, I dont sell reloads. Especially not when they are loaded to the edge (tecnically, over the edge) of max pressure. 60,000PSI in a handgun is no joke!

EDIT:

I am GlennP, forgot to switch accounts. Ugh!

ok i understand.... im just going to try to find a bulk buy until i get into reloading

Jarded, got your PM.

firehands.jpg

Look anakin skywalker and his lightsaber