njwideglide

NEW STAG Owner- what do you think of yours

Can't comment on the Stag as I don't own one. I did look at a Model 2 in a shop that was pretty basic. Build and finish seemed so so. Was really looking for a Model 3G which I was never able to find.

I just have to ask. What scope is that? It's massive!

I own the stag Model 6 and i love it. Shoots sub MOA all day long, eats everything I feed it, and looks great just sitting there taking a rest. Fit and finish are great, upper and lower are nice and tight together. Trigger is very good, but can always be a bit better (a simple cure with a drop in). You can hear the buffer spring cycle each shot. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Stags are great semi autos! I would focus on getting a dedicatdd upper with a longer barrel. Do not go with a carbine length with the longer barrel. Go at least mid or rifle length. And get that scope off there, haha. Save that for the long barreled upper.

Stick a red dot on that or leave it with the iron sights.

NIce!

Take your time and add things as you go. Some make the mistake of just jumping in and buying a bunch of crap to hang on it.

After several years I finally have my ultimate AR build almost done.

All NJ-compliant, Drum Mag. is perm. pinned to 10 rounds. I like it cause it helps balance things out.

tacticool-ar-15-1024x485.jpg

Just picked up my Stag.Only fired 100 rds. so far.What do you of yours?I would like to add a longer barrel in the future it came with a 16" I'm thinking about a 24" in stainless fluted.post-4397-0-77280200-1363667521_thumb.jpg

Yeah man that scope has to go imho. You want something fast and light. I have one scope on my long range ar but it serves a purpose.

On second thought its your gun have a ball with it. If you decide to sell the scope let me know.

Cheerio.

If you are going to run a scope that big, I'd get rid of the fixed front sight and get a BUIS. Then remove the carry handle and mount the scope directly to the reciever, or at most to a riser using low rings. Much better cheek weld and always best to have the scope as close to the bore centerline as possible.

I also think that anything over 20" is a waste with the 5.56/.223 - and it would be amazingly heavy. Here is my RRA (16" HB)...

4sn1pv.jpg

But that's the great thing about the AR platform - its modularity. Have fun with it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you are going to run a scope that big, I'd get rid of the fixed front sight and get a BUIS. Then remove the carry handle and mount the scope directly to the reciever, or at most to a riser using low rings. Much better cheek weld and always best to have the scope as close to the bore centerline as possible.

I also think that anything over 20" is a waste with the 5.56/.223 - and it would be amazingly heavy. Here is my RRA (16" HB)...

4sn1pv.jpg

But that's the great thing about the AR platform - its modularity. Have fun with it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I respectfully disagree Bob. I agree the 5.56 cartridge was designed originally around a 20" barrel.

But for reaching out and touching varmints I shoot a 24" bull. theoretically it gives me an extra 100fps and lots of weight for stability.

post-1785-0-73744500-1363706536_thumb.jpg

I really like my stag mod 3 upper. I've put it through moderate to heavy use at some points and nary a malfunction to be seen.

The only downside I've found is its fuggin heavy. this might not be a concern to you since it looks like youre going for a bench gun.

IMG_20130307_162421_436_zps05f198f1.jpg

The stag is the top one

My only turn-off of not picking up the Stag when I was playing with it in my hands was that it had a carbine length DI and a 1:12 twist M4 barrel. I was looking for a mid-length DI 1:7 twist gov't profile barrel. If the setup met that criteria, I probably wouldn't have hesitated picking it up.

My only turn-off of not picking up the Stag when I was playing with it in my hands was that it had a carbine length DI and a 1:12 twist M4 barrel. I was looking for a mid-length DI 1:7 twist gov't profile barrel. If the setup met that criteria, I probably wouldn't have hesitated picking it up.

Are you sure the stag wasn't a 1:9 twist?

Also what is your reasoning for a gov't profile verses a LW?

Seriously though, Stag is fine, shoot it and enjoy it.

When your looking for a different barrel it is tough to beat the RRA Bull barrels for price and accuracy. I had a 1:8 twist 18" one and it was a tack driver, kind of wish I never sold it.

Do what the others have recommended as far as your scope mount and then have fun!

Just picked up my Stag.Only fired 100 rds. so far.What do you of yours?I would like to add a longer barrel in the future it came with a 16" I'm thinking about a 24" in stainless fluted.post-4397-0-77280200-1363667521_thumb.jpg

never thought I would see the Hubble mounted on a rifle

NIce!

Take your time and add things as you go. Some make the mistake of just jumping in and buying a bunch of crap to hang on it.

After several years I finally have my ultimate AR build almost done.

All NJ-compliant, Drum Mag. is perm. pinned to 10 rounds. I like it cause it helps balance things out.

tacticool-ar-15-1024x485.jpg

You want to balance that out hang weights from the back of it. It will help with the 10 pounds of accessories on the front

I have had a Model 2 for a little over a year. It's my first and only AR, so I have nothing with which to compare it, but it has been everything I would want it to be. I've run it through a few fairly intense classes, and have never had a problem.

The only mods I've made to it were to add a single point sling hook and sling; an Aimpoint PRO optic; and I recently installed a Geissele SSA trigger, at the recommendation of a number of people, including many on this board. (And believe me, if I could install it, anyone can do it.) Have not had a chance to try out the new trigger, but in dry firing, it seems pretty sweet.

Are you sure the stag wasn't a 1:9 twist?

Also what is your reasoning for a gov't profile verses a LW?

That's what the sales guy told me. Just checked the specs on the website. Guess he was wrong. I was a novice at the time, not to say I'm a pro now, but when I was shopping, 1:7 seemed to be the twists to get. All the higher tier brands had that twist rate. I wanted the gov't profile as I didn't mind some additional weight in the front to counter muzzle lift and have a more stable barrel. My plan was to use it for 3G'ing. Another turn off was I wanted a free-floating barrel. The Model 2 wasn't. So, being picky from day 1 on my first AR, I ultimately landed on a SR15 Mod1. The other brands I was looking at during that time was Daniel D, Noveske and LMT. It was a buy once, cry once decision. Going by internet popularity and reviews was my only information when shopping. At the time, never even shot one before.

After becoming more informed on AR platforms and having shot various brands, my mindset has changed. ARs are in essence Honda Civics. Leave em stock, and they'll run fine. Tinker, tweak, or modify them to your heart's desire. I'm actually working on my first build now. The upper is going to be a WOA 26" match w/ 1:8 twist. This build's going to be strictly for bench and target competition.

mine (Model 2L) choked on steel-cased ammo, badly

dumped it a few years ago and built one on a Stripped Stag lower

Please take that scope off, and the mount, thanks.