wink-_-wink

Laser/light combo

I feel like a bug being drawn into a bug zapper.... this green laser I can not stop looking at and I think it my be my next toy.... soooooooo sweeeeet ZAP! Anyone drop the money on one of these? do you friggen love it or is it just one of those novel fun for a while/ conversation piece at the range but useless waste of $400? (looks like they have "Military, law enforcement, NRA Trainer, fire and EMTs " discounting available so once my account gets upgraded we will see how much cheaper they are....)

X5L_MP_Store.jpg

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/xl5-laser-sight

Depends what you want it for. If any laser, red, while not being more visible, at least would not give your position away easily. The greens are a straight path from target to where you are located. The beam is very visible. At least that is my tactical view of it. Otherwise, it's much more visible in daylight and very visible at night. The red usually only leaves a dot on the target UNLESS it's in a foggy or dusty environment. Then you'll see the beam too.

"154 lumens of blinding light" - that's funny!

I would pass. A quality white light of sufficient output (I have found 200 lumens to be the absolute minimum for "usable" light) on a fighting gun is astronomically more important than a laser.

For $400 you could get an X300U (500 lumens of usable and non-blinding light) with DG switch and still have money left to buy ammo and take a class from a reputable trainer.

The ammo and instruction would help your shooting worlds more than any laser.

I have tried so many different kinds of lasers on pistols. None of them has ever lived up to my expectations. Full disclosure, I never had the time, ammo, or energy to devote the lions share of my training to maximize the use of the laser.

The laser would be for intimidation and aim assist for the wife... Takes a lot of guesswork out of it for her, I just like the green beam.... And I've seen it for about half that price...

:facepalm: A laser isn't intimidating.

As far as aim assist, you need to already be a decent shooter for the laser to be helpful in aiming. The bullet isn't a guided missle. Unless your trigger control, recoil management, follow through are perfect and you have already trained any anticipation out the bullet won't even be close to where the dot is.

I am both a huge Streamlight flashlight guy and also a green laser guy- once you play around with either a Streamlight flashlight or a green laser you get hooked IMHO.

I was going to post two things- first of all, MidwayUSA has the Streamlight TLR-4 on sale and also the TLR-3 I believe. The TLR-4 is a compact light and laser combo perfect for Midsize and smaller pistols (Like a G23 and G27/G19 and G26 etc. and whatever sizes M&P etc. coorespond. ) The TLR-3 is a compact light only.

However I am basically hooked on green lasers, I have a few toys and they are AMAZING day or night, so I am going to wait for a Viridian. We are probably moving to FL soon and if so, buying a new handgun is much easier, I'd probably buy myself a celebratroy handgun and then equip it with a Viridian. They look amazing as well.