iRescue

New Permit in - 45acp or .357?

I just got word my permits are in!!

So my current handgun collection consists of a lonely Glock 19.

I have a good amount of 9mm ammo in both range and HD/SD variety.

I plan on picking up a G26 as a HD backup, CCW for pa and messing around at the range. I also like the fact that it can use the G19's mags and that I have a decent supply of ammo for it now given the scarcity.

Now to my problem...

I want a larger caliber handgun. I want to keep to 2 or 3 calibers total. SO, I've been considering a .45acp or .357 revolver.

In 45acp I've been looking at:

Glock 21

Glock 30S

1911 of some sort

in .357 I really would have my heart set on a 686 SSR. That thing looks so dang sweet.

If you were me...what would you get??

Need some help hashing out pros and cons..

Thanks!

two different calibers... two different platforms. If you like shooting revo's, then the .357 is the way to go. IMHO, the .357 is the best revolver caliber out there. :p

On the other hand, .45 acp is the only caliber I reload at this time because I love shooting it on my 1911's. The only way I can shoot it as much as I do and keep the cost down is by churning out my own ammo.

S&W 686 rocks! Check out the 686 plus, it gets you 7 rounds of 38 or 357!

I've heard good stuff about RIA, never had experience with them. HOWEVER, if you are looking at spending the $1,000 on a S&W 686 SSR, why would you spend $500 on a 1911??? Step it up with the 1911. Go for a S&W, Sig, Kimber.

I've never owned a revolver, but it is something high on my list.. I feel like every American should own a good revolver... :-)

If I were to go 1911 route, I'd get a sig, Kimber or s&w.

However, a striker fired 45acp with a mag cap over 10 rounds is extremely enticing..

Ugh choices...

Glock 21

S&W 686

SIG 1911

I just got word my permits are in!!

In 45acp I've been looking at:

Glock 21

Glock 30S

1911 of some sort

in .357 I really would have my heart set on a 686 SSR. That thing looks so dang sweet.

If you were me...what would you get??

Need some help hashing out pros and cons..

Thanks!

I went your route and bought a Glock 26, 19 and 17. Did not take me long to realize that I could make the 26 grip as big as the 19 with a mag extension so no need for the 19 and 17. Anyway, revolvers are good for the range as you go through ammo much more slowly than you would with a 15 round mag. A .357 is still top of the heap for practical sized carry guns for stopping power. Revolver reliability is great for home defense as you can store it loaded and pull it out 10 years later and it will go bang. I have been shooting revolvers for over 40 years and my various .357's have protected my home all that time. Bad guys must have heard about them because they never came around. :) Had two civilian encounters and all I had to do is show my .357 snub nose guns to end them right there and then with no shots fired. It is a magic round or maybe just confirmation that the studies show that in over 90% of civilian gun encounters, no shots are fired.

This is what I use. A Wiley Clapp Ruger Gp100 in .357. Fiber optic front sight, Novak rear, melt job all around, tapered cylinder for easy holstering, chamfered chambers for easy reloading with speed loaders, combo wood/rubber grips so that rough part is only where it needs to be, 3" barrel with a grey satin finish that does not reflect the light. The 3" barrel is long enough to get a lot out of today's ammo while still allowing it to come onto target quickly. It is designed as a fighting gun. I had a 686P but did not like the S&W L frame at all. Too big and heavy for what it is. I am old with arthritis so holding that gun with one hand for any length of time was difficult and I do not want guns that REQUIRE 2 hands to shoot. You young guys may do better but I suggest you hold one before buying it. It is a big gun. The GP100 is smaller (and cheaper) and will handle the hottest .357 loads for a lifetime with no problem.

1752.jpg

For a .45 I use this for pocket or belt carry in summer with a light Tee shirt and shorts. Although this year we had no winter in Florida. Did not wear a jacket once so it was mostly pocket carry for me except when going to be sitting down a lot like driving or eating out.

XDS-Size-300x225.jpg

I prefer a .357 though because I can shoot .38 spl, .38 +P and .357 ammo in it. No problem with getting .38 spl ammo around here and much cheaper than .45 or .357 ammo. Very versatile gun since it will shoot 3 kinds of ammo and there is no debate about the power of a .357.

HOWEVER, if you are looking at spending the $1,000 on a S&W 686 SSR...

They can be had for considerably less than that...

http://www.gunsamerica.com//969265427/SMITH_AND_WESSON_MODEL_686SSR_PRO_SERIES_357MAG_STAINLESS_NEW.htm?wl=1

And if he wants to play gun games he needs a 6-shot, not 7 or 8. Just sayin'

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if you can't decide between a revolver and a 1911 in .45, why not have the best of both worlds with a revolver chambered in .45 ACP? Mmmmmmmmmmm, nothing like 625 goodness.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

http://www.gunsameri...SS_NEW.htm?wl=1

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if you can't decide between a revolver and a 1911 in .45, why not have the best of both worlds with a revolver chambered in .45 ACP? Mmmmmmmmmmm, nothing like 625 goodness.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good points as I found out when I got my 7 shot 686P. Plus the L frame is just so darn big. I prefer a K frame myself for home defense and the range but after 40 years of owning and shooting S&W and Colts, I switched to Ruger. You get a lot of gun for the money and never a lick of trouble. I had a $65 trigger job done to the gun I posted and it is smooth as can be.

You guys make some pretty compelling points for the revolver. I do like that ammo for it is a bit more available than some of the other more popular handgun cartridges.

Now to find a shop that has one in stock or can get one... I'd love to shoot the 686 first

...the L frame is just so darn big. I prefer a K frame myself...

OD:

The grip frame of the L-frame and the K-frame is the same. The extra weight of the full underlug on most L-frames may contribute to the feeling of "bigness", but the L-frame doesn't have to have a flat milled on the bottom of the forcing cone to clear the crane, like the K-frame.

Always a trade-off - Full underlug = less perceived recoil / ejector rod housing only = faster transition between targets. A lot of the Pro and PC revolvers have gone to ejector rod housings rather than an underlug. A lot have also milled the side of the barrel flat - cosmetic, but a smidgeon of weight saving.

Seems kind of funny hearing someone complain about the size of the L-frame in one breath and then tout the Ruger GP100 in the next. For all intents and purposes they are almost identical in size and weight: GP100 = 40 oz./9.5"L 686 = 39.7 oz./9.56"L

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'll echo the revolver sentiment! My first was the 686 SSR, I've since added a few others (and a 1911 too). With revolvers there are some nice more historical options too, depends on what you're looking for. Like if a 686 or 586 feels a little large you can get a used Model 19 or 66 or if you want beefier can get a 27 or 627.

My first handgun was an S&W 686 with a 6 inch barrel, bought it when I turned 21 and still have it. My next pistol will most likely be a .45 ACP. Absolutely love the 686 and yes, it is lots of fun to shoot!

http://www.gunsameri...SS_NEW.htm?wl=1

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You rabble rouser... haha.

7 is always better then 6 when it comes to capacity. He's asking what his second piece should be, doubt he'll be joining ISPC anytime soon.

I agree the 625 is a bunch of fun as well!

Wheelgunners have more fun at the range. ssr is nice but if you can find one, google "686 the american"

discontinued but awesome

http://www.gunsameri..._357_Mag_NE.htm

I love my American Series 686. I enjoy shooting it more than my 1911. I have since added the Hogue rubber grip and it feels perfect in my hand.

sw686.jpg

OD: The grip frame of the L-frame and the K-frame is the same. The extra weight of the full underlug on most L-frames may contribute to the feeling of "bigness", but the L-frame doesn't have to have a flat milled on the bottom of the forcing cone to clear the crane, like the K-frame. Always a trade-off - Full underlug = less perceived recoil / ejector rod housing only = faster transition between targets. A lot of the Pro and PC revolvers have gone to ejector rod housings rather than an underlug. A lot have also milled the side of the barrel flat - cosmetic, but a smidgeon of weight saving. Seems kind of funny hearing someone complain about the size of the L-frame in one breath and then tout the Ruger GP100 in the next. For all intents and purposes they are almost identical in size and weight: GP100 = 40 oz./9.5"L 686 = 39.7 oz./9.56"L Adios, Pizza Bob

My Ruger is a 3" barrel and weight 36 oz. Pretty close to a snubbie length. :)

Get the .45 and drink a 40 when you get home to celebrate.

.45's are so common they are what everyone else is getting. Just borrow a friend's. I know a few guys who never owned/shot a revolver and I find more people asking about my revolver than they do about my semi autos. There is a whole generation or two raised on Semi autos who would never consider a revolver. Be different. Go retro and you may learn why the revolver is still a popular gun even now.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a 686 now.

Now the question becomes... 686P or the SSR?

Main uses will be HD gun at some point and range fun. I'd like to get into gun competitions at some point but that's down the line. My focus now is more and more training.