Sludog

M&P Pro Series 9mm or Glock 34 Any owners out there?

I just saw Hickok 45's clip of the M&P pro series 9 mm and he gave it a very favorable review. Is this gun NJ legal? I was set on getting a Glock 34 until I saw this review and I am wondering which is better. I will be using for strictly range shooting and double as home defense as well. If I got the the M&P it would be the 5" barrel.

Also how about the M&P in general. Is it a good firearm? I have heard that these guns are hard to come by as of late.

If you are into gun games;

I would get an m&p pro 40 in 5" full capacity legal mags at 15.

I can get an aftermarket barrel and shoot 9mm without changing a thing other than obtaining 9mm mags.

Most of the retailers that I checked would not order a Full size 9mm pro due to the 17 round mags.

I can get an aftermarket barrel and shoot 9mm without changing a thing other than obtaining 9mm mags.

Most of the retailers that I checked would not order a Full size 9mm pro due to the 17 round mags.

^^ This. I have a 9L and it's awesome.

I have been looking for the S&W 9pro and they are very hard to find. The 4.25 regular one is around but any of the 5in ones are very difficult to come by and when I have seen one if was over MSRP so screw that. I will wait until they are more plentiful. I have the 34 and I like that just getting back into using it for USPSA and I had forgotten how nice it is to know I will have no jams or misfires while competing.

That's what I meant about being legal. I was interested in an xdm 9mm but was told that they could not be sold because of the mags.

Ronny, I believe a few folks had them with 10 round mags, and have been aware of one case where a dealer swapped them out for 15's some time ago.

I will say, the pinned mags, while a great service, are permanently modified, as such most of which I have seen, cannot be opened in order to clean the inside of the mag out. For most gun owners, this will not be an issue, however.... if you shot matches and such.... you will likely want to get 10 rounders.

The M&P 40 and Glock 35 are great alternatives in 40 cal, and then get a 9mm conversion barrel as Ronny suggested.

Heritage Guild swapped out the mags for me to 15-rounders no problem on the 9-Pro with no extra charge, paid under list as well but this was last year. I went with 9mm. If you are going to shoot uspsa with 40, then you will need to reload as the boxed 40 are a tad hot for competition, at least that was the advice given to me way back when. I love my 9-Pro, I modded the large backstrap, changed the fibre front to red, and added a ram. I like the Novak front sight as its a larger dot, but I changed out just the rod for a red from dawson, their rods really capture the light and are very bright, they sell the rods in several sizes including the larger novaks.

IMHO, the 40 (plastic guns) is the best way to go for gun games.

In USPSA, you can use the gun in 3 different divisions; production, limited 10, and limited.

Run the same rig and you "can" be competitive.

Yes 40 factory ammo is hot, but if you reload you have a nice soft load.

My brother picked up a 5" pro 40. He wanted it in 9mm but everyone we contacted was unable to get one.

How much are the 40 and 9mm M&P Pro's going for these days? Just in case I see one in a shop and decide to put a deposit on one. I don't want to get raped.

I may just get a Glock 34/35 instead since they are a little easier to come by and the price markups don't seem to be that bad.

You missed idpa, no advantage to 40 over 9. If you mod the 40 for limited, then you need to unmod it for production. If you dont mod it then you will be at a disadvantage in limited. As recommended, you should really reload the 40. So it goes back to the OP purpose. If its for some semi-serious games, where he will get into reloading and modding for uspsa, then 40 is a must. If its for some weekend recreation and home defense and family training, the 9 will be better (never mod your hd pistol). If it starts as fun and goes to semi-serios, he will be buying more pistols anyway!

It seems that you can't go wrong with either the M&P or the Glock of the guns mentioned. If I see a reasonably priced 40 or 9mm in store then I will put some cash down on it.

Now on that note I have been pricing the Glocks since they're a little bit easier to come by. What is a fair price for the M&P 9mm and 40 pro? I have yet to see one in store.

Bought the M&P 9mm Pro for use in competition last month and sold it two weeks later. Hated the trigger. Their trigger bar seems to have to move over a round protrusion to disengage the safety and you can feel it. It ruins what would otherwise be a good trigger. I understand that you can get an Apex trigger to eliminate the problem but would not recommend it without the Apex. The Glock 34 on the other hand is popular for competition for a reason. You really do not need to do much to it other than perhaps change the sights. Mine was great but I stopped competing so it went bye-bye too but not because I had problems with it.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot more holster choices and accessories for the Glock 34 than the M&P. I had to have a holster made for the M&P. While the M&P line is making inroads in both competition and law enforcement, the Glock 34 remains as the most popular production model gun used in competitions and do not discount the many user installable accessories made for it. I did not miss them until I bought a different gun that was a bear to make changes on to the point that I messed up the trigger so bad that it fired a shot when I pressed against the slide release since the trigger bar runs right next to it and even touches it.

I don't know if thete is a "better," so I wouldn't stress about that. Glock has a longer track record and a TON more accessories. I have a 34 and it's excellent. I bought it for the same MO as you. Its great for a fun range/rec gun with the unexpected benefit of being extremely popular platform. Can't comment on the Smith, but they'really also a great company so I wouldn't expect less... IMO if you were set on the 34, go for it.

I got the 5" Pro Series as my first pistol. I shot some gen 4 Glocks and did well with them but enjoyed the fit of the Smith.

I was able rent both at Shore Shot and purchased the M&P there. I don't have the sku number but there is one that is NJ legal. It comes with 2 10 round magazines. I purchased my 15 rounders from G&R Tactical. If you do a search for the m&p you should find the threads where I posted all of the skus with links.

I don't shoot mine in competition much but I do enjoy using it. So much so that I got a M&P22 to practice/compete with.

I got the 5" Pro Series as my first pistol. I shot some gen 4 Glocks and did well with them but enjoyed the fit of the Smith.

I was able rent both at Shore Shot and purchased the M&P there. I don't have the sku number but there is one that is NJ legal. It comes with 2 10 round magazines. I purchased my 15 rounders from G&R Tactical. If you do a search for the m&p you should find the threads where I posted all of the skus with links.

I don't shoot mine in competition much but I do enjoy using it. So much so that I got a M&P22 to practice/compete with.

I was in the area area yesterday so I stopped at Shore Shot and see the inventory. They had no Pro series M&P's in stock and no Glock 34 or 35 for sale. They did have a M&P 40 in stock. I also stopped at Brick Armory and they had about 10 guns on the shelf but nothing that interested me. Place was empty and the range had only one shooter.

178010 is the sku for the pro that I got.

I also got mine a couple years ago so things were a bit different. SS didn't have a m&p9 for rental? That would give you the feel of the pistol.

I know they do have M&P's for rental there. Not sure what caliber. Is their much of a difference in shooting the M&P compared to the pro model? I know the sights are different but they trigger is supposed to be better on the pro.

Thanks for the SKU number it could come in handy if I buy out of state. Is there a M&P pro that comes with 15 rounds for NJ compliancy? I would hate to have to pay $700 for a gun and then buy 15 round mags afterwards.

A couple of years ago I was really hot to get the M&P 9mm Pro. After asking around at dealers, and after several calls directly to S&W, I was told that they would not ship them to NJ, due to the 17 round mags. Apparently, that has changed since then.

I ended up picking up a Glock 34 instead, and it was love at first shot. It's still my favorite handgun, and definitely the one that I shoot best. I subsequently added an M&P 9 and replaced the trigger with an Apex. It's a nice gun, but even with the improved trigger, I don't use it nearly as much as I do the G34. Oh, and most of the holsters I have that fit my Glock 19 and XD9 also fit the G34.

If there's anything I don't like about the G34, it's that I wish I could get 15 round mags for it. OTOH, in a few months that may well be a moot point in our sorry state (pun intended).

I know they do have M&P's for rental there. Not sure what caliber. Is their much of a difference in shooting the M&P compared to the pro model? I know the sights are different but they trigger is supposed to be better on the pro.

Thanks for the SKU number it could come in handy if I buy out of state. Is there a M&P pro that comes with 15 rounds for NJ compliancy? I would hate to have to pay $700 for a gun and then buy 15 round mags afterwards.

I shot the M&P in 9mm when I was first shopping.

Sights and trigger pull.

The rental pistol I used was worn (as to be expected with a rental) but I was there to test out the fit in my palms. I dig the trigger on my pistol. You are more than welcome to try it out if you like. I usually shoot at OBRPC but make it down to SS when my NY friends want to shoot.

Sku worked in NJ. Contact Shore Shot. They got it for me and I walked out with 2 10 round mags.

Oh and my purchase date was 12/23/2010.

You're gonna have to buy 15 rounders anyway unless you find a FFL that will swap mags for you.

http://www.gandrtact...ction&key=39498

Sludog how many mags are you looking to own? I know the 10s might sound small but I can still use them in PPC and Bullseye.

A couple of years ago I was really hot to get the M&P 9mm Pro. After asking around at dealers, and after several calls directly to S&W, I was told that they would not ship them to NJ, due to the 17 round mags. Apparently, that has changed since then.

I ended up picking up a Glock 34 instead, and it was love at first shot. It's still my favorite handgun, and definitely the one that I shoot best. I subsequently added an M&P 9 and replaced the trigger with an Apex. It's a nice gun, but even with the improved trigger, I don't use it nearly as much as I do the G34. Oh, and most of the holsters I have that fit my Glock 19 and XD9 also fit the G34.

If there's anything I don't like about the G34, it's that I wish I could get 15 round mags for it. OTOH, in a few months that may well be a moot point in our sorry state (pun intended).

I agree with your process. I dig the 34. I have been meaning to get one.

I am surprised there is no 15 round mag for the pistol. What are you using now? Anyone we can petition/pester to make 15 rounders?

Also don't give up. They haven't won yet.