dbldune

NICS checks

The NICS is supposed to be "instant". That is what the I stands for. If the buyer or seller has to pay for this check and it is not "instant" is not the provider of the service committing fraud by claiming that it is instant when it is not?

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me if you are promised instant and pay for it, and then are not provided with the service you paid for that is fraud.

The NICS is supposed to be "instant". That is what the I stands for. If the buyer or seller has to pay for this check and it is not "instant" is not the provider of the service committing fraud by claiming that it is instant when it is not?

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me if you are promised instant and pay for it, and then are not provided with the service you paid for that is fraud.

Exactly

I too wonder if the state is doing this on purpose. It feels like they have created a defacto waiting period under the guise of "increased demand". ReloaderGuy is right, I don't see how there are enough gun shops/gun owners to justify the delays. We have one of the lowest gun ownership rates in the country, and a FID/permit system. How is it that states like Pennsylvania, a state with MUCH higher rate of firearm ownership than NJ, and where any non-prohibited person can walk into a gun shop and purchase a firearm in 15 minutes, have no such delays? I smell a rat.

I know from now on all of my long gun purchases will be in PA. These friggin delays are for the birds.

Why punish NJ FFL's?? It is not their fault, and that kind reaction if it gains traction will surely put a lot of Gun Stores out of business in NJ. Then the State Libs really win.

Tomorrow is day 8 for me of waiting for my shotgun. To lift my spirits i went to PA today to buy a new .22 bolt action...15 minutes and i was leaving with my new rifle. FU new jersey...lol

What you are really saying is "FU to NJ gun shop owner's their employees and their families". What are you going to do when there are no gun shops left within reasonable driving distance from your home, and you have to drive all the way to PA for a box of ammo or a bottle of Hoppes. I know you can get ammo mail order...but for how long??

Im 7 business days in now and still waiting. FFL said its been taking like 10 days lately. I too went over into PA on my last purchase. I went local first but they didnt have what I wanted. Took 30 min. and I was done.

I asked about the 3 day rule but was told there is no proof of receipt. I said the fax confirmation would be proof. Basically shows sent but we dont know if they actually recieved it in hand its a grey area.

What you are really saying is "FU to NJ gun shop owner's their employees and their families". What are you going to do when there are no gun shops left within reasonable driving distance from your home, and you have to drive all the way to PA for a box of ammo or a bottle of Hoppes. I know you can get ammo mail order...but for how long??

Both the gun shops and us perspective buyers need to step up to the State Police and demand that this nonsense stop and the checks go back to being instant.

NJ2AS would be a perfect organization to lead us and be the voice for us, but it doesn't seem like anything has gained any traction.

To think that I could move out of state, establish residency, buy a handgun, and move back to NJ a lot faster than NJSP is processing my P2P is absolutely rediculious. I'm coming up on 100 days of waiting.

And to think they want background checks on private sales...just think about how backlogged NJSP will be then with the NICS checks.

Today is day 16 for me. I called the dealer and he said if we haven't called you it's not back. I asked if he thought it could be lost and he admitted it was a possibility. I asked him at what point he would resubmit and he told me at least 30 days!!! That would take me past the expiration date on the permit!!

Ask for a refund if he refuses. That is absurd. He could call the Nics Supervisor line and find out in a minute if it should be re-faxed. Find a new dealer for the future.

Both the gun shops and us perspective buyers need to step up to the State Police and demand that this nonsense stop and the checks go back to being instant.

Here is the email link to Senator Stephen Sweeney, PRESIDENT OF THE NJ SENATE. I'll bet a couple hundred emails to him will get some action to move the NJ State Police ladies off their duff. Also send you district Represenatives and Senators plus the NRA the same email

http://www.njleg.sta...s/SelectRep.asp

I already sent an email to Sweeney and my other District Represenatives supporting the endorsement of adding ones's FID number as an endorsement on your drivers license. They need an amendment to the proposed law ... they propose it for every 4 years but your driver's license expires every 5 years Also requested they enforce the SHALL requirement of local police department to issue FIDs and P2P's ...

30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents

Also write-call or email your Congressional representatives in Washington. Tell them what is going on in NJ. Congress just appropriated $20,000,000 to improved the FBI NICS

I asked about the 3 day rule but was told there is no proof of receipt. I said the fax confirmation would be proof. Basically shows sent but we dont know if they actually recieved it in hand its a grey area.

Definite grey area bc the law doesn't say proof of receipt is needed.

I already sent an email to Sweeney and my other District Represenatives supporting the endorsement of adding ones's FID number as an endorsement on your drivers license. They need an amendment to the proposed law ... they propose it for every 4 years but your driver's license expires every 5 years Also requested they enforce the SHALL requirement of local police department to issue FIDs and P2P's ...

Could you elaborate? Have you seen the text of the bill? It's not up yet.

Here is the email link to Senator Stephen Sweeney, PRESIDENT OF THE NJ SENATE. I'll bet a couple hundred emails to him will get some action to move the NJ State Police ladies off their duff. Also send you district Represenatives and Senators plus the NRA the same email

http://www.njleg.sta...s/SelectRep.asp

30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents

Also write-call or email your Congressional representatives in Washington. Tell them what is going on in NJ. Congress just appropriated $20,000,000 to improved the FBI NICS

I don't support this bill, it's my constitutional right to own guns. I shouldn't have to reapply for a permit every 4 or 5 years. New Jersey can't keep up with the backlog of FID, P2P applications, and NICS checks as it is. Can you imagine adding millions of expiring FID's every 4-5 years? They already have me waiting 100+ days for a P2P. The amount of people necessary to facilitate this renewal process will cost a ton. You think your taxes are high now?

We need to ensure NJ submits mental health records to the FBI NICS, and do away witht his archaeic system they are using and begin allowing FFL's to move into the 21st century, and use the internet to conduct the necessary checks.

I sent an e-mail to my State Senator, and respective Assemblymen regarding the amount of time it's taking for our citizens to obtain FID's and P2P's. I also mentioned the almost 2 week wait for an "Instant" background check.

NJGF, you are forgetting one of the requirements for your FID ... if you have a change of address, one must obtain a new FID so the addresses on the FID and your driver's license are the same. With an endorsement on one's driver's license, the addresses would coincide and it would not take in my case, 8 months, for the local police department to issue a replacement FID

But the flaw in the endorsement law proposal is followup recourse when a FID or P2P is not issued within the 30 day period required by State Statute. I can't find the case law but supposedly if one filed a suit with their County Superior court for recourse because of the delay, the Court denied the case. So there exists a SHALL Statute for 30 days that has no teeth and is violated by nearly every police department in NJ. Even the State Police violate the issuance time requirement

If there was an administrative order from the Governor to the NJ State Police to dissolve their fax NICS processing process and allow FFL's to subscribe to direct dial up - we wouldn't be waiting these inordinate number of days. In my case, 13 days so far and a weekend coming up

All you guys who are complaining about days 7 or 13, today is day 23 for me!! I called 3 times and went in twice to the dealer. I'm almost thinking if I get the call today it will be an April's fool joke. But I really don't expect a call. I have officially given up. BTW, this is the second of my permits to purchase, so really I'm at day 53!!