dbldune

NICS checks

Wow, I just learned that you guys go through the NJSP for NICS. No wonder there is a backlog and so many delays. Here in the Gunshine State the FFL just call NICS directly and in a few minutes you have your OK. The worst I experienced was at xmas when it took 20 minutes and people were not willing to wait that long and said that they would come back the next day. There is no NICS backlog. I bought 5 guns since January this year and two of them were in the last two weeks. Five minutes or less and I was all done. So whatever you are being told about NICS is really about the NJSP. There is no delays with NICS. It is working just fine. Your State is the problem.

Does the NJSP also do their own check or what is the purpose of using them as a middle man? I can see it as an effective means to keep track of its citizens and even slow the flow of firearms in the State. As an outsider it just seems to me that gun owners are slowly being subjected to more and more roadblocks and wondering when does the straw that broke the camel's back appear or will it ever as long as gun rights are slowly impinged upon over time so as to be given out like bad tasting medicine, a little at a time to make it more palatable? Heck here in the Gunshine State they cannot even pass tighter gun laws despite all the negative publicity from the Zimmerman case. Nothing ever came of that except a committee report that said keep the law the way it was but make it clear to understand for LEO.

So Old Dog, just what do you propose we do? Go to PA to buy all our long guns? Still have to go through the double-check procedure here in NJ to purchase a handgun. The PPP process is a joke and should be dropped, but it's just a back-door way of registration so they will never stop it.

The wife just started the NICS process tonight, we'll see how long it takes. I will be putting in for another FID card this week (can't find mine), plus pistol permits since I have to pay the $18 background check again, we'll see how many months this takes..............

So, are we allowed to have guns shipped to FFL's OUTSIDE on NJ and go there to pick them up instead? Seems that in PA the NICS check is less than a half hour. I'd rather use Cabellas for example and not have to wait 2 weeks for an "instant" check.................... (Yes, talking about long guns only here, not handguns)

I have no problem with transfer fees, I am paying an FFL to do it. I do have a problem with the NICS check taking forever. You know it used to be a 15 minute deal, I have bought several guns from you in the past. I am certainly not blaming any FFL in NJ, I am blaming the stupid system we have in this state, it is BROKEN!

NICS faxed april 8th, recieved call today (19th) with approval.

Well, This gives me hope. I did mine on the 9th. I went into the LGS last night and they said they were getting them back from the 5th...

Just for comparison, I was up in NH this past weekend visiting my folks. My Father went to the LGS there and bought a pistol. They were very apologetic that the NICS checks were taking longer than usual that day. 40 minutes...

Submitted NICS on April 8th. Got the call today from Tony at TJ Sporting Arms. He was nice enough to meet me right away so drove down and picked up my first handgun.

Its a Beretta 92FS 9mm. Its an LE package so it came with three 15 round mags :).

Thanks Tony for "breaking me in" during these rather difficult times. I appreciate your help and guidance!

Now the 30 day wait begins :)

I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Still waiting since March 23rd. I was told my paperwork was most likely 'lost' somewhere in the fax system. It was resubmitted last Tuesday. Not sure if I like the idea that my personal information was somehow lost. Strange thing... I received a phone call on Friday from Macy's asking to confirm my billing address because somebody purchased two $900 watches online in my name. Never had that happen before. I hope it's just a coincidence.

I recently made a purchase from The Heritage Guild in Rahway.

NICS was submitted on April 2nd, approval came back on April 17th.

Some time right after May 18th I'll begin the process again (One Handgun a Month...yay). Yeah, I'm really looking forward to visiting the FFL twice in order to complete one handgun transfer.

This is complete nonsense.

I spoke to the Nics unit at 6:30 last night asking for my April 11th approvals, I was told we are finishing up the 11th and it was delayed because they are training 4 new people to run nics. This will bring the total to 10. So i would assume increasing the unit by 40% should allow them to catch up at some point.