dbldune

NICS checks

Can anyone point to any statute in 2c that even authorizes the state to perform NICs background check? There is law that says they can't add any requirements other than those listed and the federal law provides for waiving the NICs check if the state already has a permit/background check in place. No one has ever been able to point out the NJ law that gives the state the authority to perform these checks or show where there are penalties for not performing them.

410guy, congrats on your new rifle. Where did you buy it? Also, the fact you are now at day 8 and counting (and I received mine yesterday in 7 days) leads me to speculate that the NICS folks perhaps batch up the requests from each FFL rather than process them in exact sequential order. I.e. to reduce the number of approval phone calls they would have to make and thereby work through the backlog quicker. Just a thought. Perhaps an FFL on here would know. (Do you receive separate approval phone calls for each approval, or multiple approvals in each call?)

From what I have gathered, it doesn't matter if the check is faxed in in the morning or in the evening, they will do the checks for that day when they get to it, probably about 5 days later. Toward the end of the day, or first thing in the morning, someone will call with all of those approvals and provide a transaction number which is recorded on the 4473. Sometimes the dealer will get the call midday. It depends on when they have the time. Some get "misplaced" and those will have to be re-faxed, pushing it back another 5 days. Look on the form at the transaction number when you pick up your firearm. It shows the date of the approval in Julian Format. Ex: 2013-04900015.

Explanation: If I were to fax in a check for someone on February 13th at 3:00PM, I might get an approval call the morning of February 19th with a transaction number of the above. Dissecting the number, it shows that the check was done on the 49th day of 2013 (Feb18th) and it was the 15th check of that day.

You may question why the approval was not called back the day it was approved. Who knows? I suspect man-power issues. If the transaction number is several days prior to you picking it up, it could be for various reasons, i.e. the dealer called you and could not get a hold of you, the NICS Unit lost it but then found it, shit happens, etc.

410guy, congrats on your new rifle. Where did you buy it? Also, the fact you are now at day 8 and counting (and I received mine yesterday in 7 days) leads me to speculate that the NICS folks perhaps batch up the requests from each FFL rather than process them in exact sequential order. I.e. to reduce the number of approval phone calls they would have to make and thereby work through the backlog quicker. Just a thought. Perhaps an FFL on here would know. (Do you receive separate approval phone calls for each approval, or multiple approvals in each call?)

Thanks, I went to Dunkelberger's in Stroudsburg. Very nice store if you've never been out there, friendly and knowledgable staff, great selection (even now). Excellent prices compared to NJ in my experience. It's worth the drive to buy your long guns there if you live in north jersey and its a nice scenic ride out rt. 80 regardless.

Can anyone point to any statute in 2c that even authorizes the state to perform NICs background check? There is law that says they can't add any requirements other than those listed and the federal law provides for waiving the NICs check if the state already has a permit/background check in place. No one has ever been able to point out the NJ law that gives the state the authority to perform these checks or show where there are penalties for not performing them.

You make some excellent points here. I was unaware that there is a provision to waive NICS checks. It's kind of crazy tha we have such needless redundancy in our NJ system. Certainly, in the case of handguns where a permit is necessary for each purchase, the NICS check is a waste of time and money.

oddly, i just got a call saying my nics approval came and i can come pick up the gun. 9 days total. Strange that it came through on a sunday. I dunno if maybe it was done at some point yesterday? Or maybe they are running 7 days a week now? Who knows, going to pick up my new shotgun now. 2 new guns in 2 days...woohoo. im lucky to have an understanding wife...lol

I asked this in another NICS thread but isn't NICS Federal and shouldn't it take the same amount of time no matter where you live? In Florida they are very quick but the stores around here call on the phone. At the height of the panic buying I had to wait 15 minutes. Normally they get on the phone and give the info and I am out of there.

LOL, What are you competing with Joe aka BLF... LOL

Good to hear you're getting inventory Paul.

unfortunately my days of sharing purchases are over for now. So a new arms race champion will be crowned this year. Sucks but i feel its necessary until the situation is handled

unfortunately my days of sharing purchases are over for now. So a new arms race champion will be crowned this year. Sucks but i feel its necessary until the situation is handled

don't worry man, it's nothing, I won it the year before and got nutin,, and you won last year and whad ya git,, nutin, so just gather, collect and don't forget the best part, SHOOT THE DANG THINGS... LMAO

The second letter in NICS means "instant"! There are no t enough gun stores in NJ to justify the delays! The state is doing this on purpose. When will people realize this!

Bingo!

Required waiting periods.

I asked this in another NICS thread but isn't NICS Federal and shouldn't it take the same amount of time no matter where you live?

NJ (and PA) are what are called POC states. That's Point of Contact. The NJSP administer the NICS system so they can add local checks to what they learn from the Federal (FBI) NICS database. That being said - not all POC states have the same problems that we do here in NJ. PA's is very efficient and does take about the same amount of time as a direct Federal check. NJ's sytem has several choke points - the first being the third party provider that bundles requests and forwards them to the NJSP, and the second being the NJSP who seem reluctant to add personnel for peak demand.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So, since then the phone number has gone away, a third party is now involved, and we are using fax technology. Each week it seems another day is added to the process due to increased the volume. It appears the magic number is about 8 days? 2 minutes has now become 11,520 minutes, again due to volume, loss of a telephone number, fax technology, and a third party. So assuming we still had the phone number, and quadrupled the volume, it would take about 8 minutes.

I just don't see how 4x's the volume, dialing a fax, and adding a third party could possibly take this long. It really is a shame none of the media outlets will take up this story.

Today is day 16 for me. I called the dealer and he said if we haven't called you it's not back. I asked if he thought it could be lost and he admitted it was a possibility. I asked him at what point he would resubmit and he told me at least 30 days!!! That would take me past the expiration date on the permit!!

Today is day 16 for me. I called the dealer and he said if we haven't called you it's not back. I asked if he thought it could be lost and he admitted it was a possibility. I asked him at what point he would resubmit and he told me at least 30 days!!! That would take me past the expiration date on the permit!!

That is not right nor fair of the dealer. Knowing most return in 8 days, the dealer should follow up ASAP. I would prod him again. Make him aware that your permit expiration date is coming due. Be nice but firm. You are already at twice the "normal" rate of approvals.

Thinking about this really sucks. P2P and still NICS check again. Waste of manpower and time. Maybe its time we tell our representatives this is uncalled for and must be addressed. I know fat chance.........but had to say it.

Put in A NICS last Sunday for A new 12GA O/U got the call this afternoon it is back will pickup tomorrow. Put in A Nics for My new Px4 last Tues so hopefully the all clear will arive tomorrow. Glad I have A good stock of 9mm and 12 Ga Target load I'll have to work the new ones out this week.

Excellent point. I too used to be an independent voter who could swing either way depending on who I thought was a better candidate. But after the events of the last few months, I will NEVER vote for another democrat as long as I live unless they come out as being explicitly pro-gun (fat chance I know). I disagree with ALOT of Republican policies but I am willing to put my differences aside. It's become apparent to me that the Democratic Party are a bunch of tyrannical thugs who think nothing of violating our civil rights to further their agenda. I bet there are ALOT of former independents/moderates across the country such as myself and wooly bugger who are going to be swinging to the right because of recent events. I predict an ass kicking being dished out to the democrats in the midterm elections, like what happened to the Clinton-era dems after they passed the original AWB.

Same here...I use to consider myself middle of the road politically but not after this. I don't think the dems realize the backlash they will soon see at the polls.

Find a different FFL.