45Doll

Search & Seizure Seminar - Anyone else interested?

The two recent highly-publicized situations where police and/or state agencies show up unexpectedly and 'demand' searches, inspections, seizures etc. have given me long pause for thought. I have concluded that mental and legal preparation is equally (and perhaps more) important than other types of 'prepping' I have considered or undertaken. In fact, it might be the most important preparation if one's goal is to avoid a situation altogether. I could easily imagine myself being caught off-guard and unnecessarily running down a really bad road.

I for one would be interested and willing to pay (contribute if you like) to attend a seminar that would detail the preparations I could make, and responses I should take, if a similar situation happened to me, my family, or friends. I would want the recommendations to be New Jersey specific and have a sound legal basis in the current state environment and laws. And I'd like discussion to include scenarios that have actually happened in New Jersey.

Example: A big hurricane hits (bigger than Sandy) and half the state is out of commission. Looters are rampant. You are protecting your family and home with firearms. LE shows up and demands you turn them over (as they did in New Orleans after Katrina). What exactly should you do? What could you have done prior to the event, in preparation for that possibility? What do you do if LE decides to disregard the law, or make up their own on the fly?

I'm wondering how many others might be interested. As a NJ2AS member I thought this might be something to be organized under NJ2AS guidance and/or auspices.

I am a founding board member of NJ2AS. Unfortunatly I have been sidelined for a while working two jobs 6 to 7 days a week for the last 8 months or so. But the idea has merit and I actually had discussed with the board similer ideas over a year ago. However given the current climate I think it has risen to the surface as a prudent idea. I will speak to my board members on the idea. I have the perfect person in mind to teach the class. All will be predicated on board approval and participation of said person. He was my constitutional law and rules of evidence teacher. He was fantastic. He was also part of the prosecuters office IIRC so I think he would be exceptionally qualified to speak on the subject

Shane.

I think it's a great idea that EVERYONE could benefit from.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and would also participate and am willing to pay. Just imagine how much money it would cost you in legal fees if you didn't know the right things to say or actions to take and the law just scooped you up illegally for whatever reason. I'd rather be prepared and knowledgeable.

Great idea!

I don't think you'd have a problem doing at least one seminar/class on this. As word got out, I'm sure many more people, even those who are no members of this forum, would be very interested in knowing what their federal and more importantly state rights are on these issues.

I just wanted to jump in quickly and mention that the New Jersey Second Amendment Society (NJ2AS) would be willing to help organize a seminar on "Search & Seizure And Your Rights". There does seem to be a definite interest among the participants in this group and others. If Shane can find an appropriate expert on the subject, we would be willing to arrange the venue and organize the registration for the event. Obviously, we will have to determine the costs involved and decide from there. However, I don't think that should create any problem as long as enough people are willing to preregister.

Great idea Shane!

Frank