ALTA

Good news from Atlantic County's gun grab (e.g. buyback)

One of those in near mint condition with a magazine turned up in Connecticut recently (past six months) at a "gun grab", the officers informed the elderly woman of it's value (it had been in the back of the closet since WWII) and arranged for the rifle NOT to be destroyed but sold to a FFL dealer in antique firearms. Estimated value was set at $25,000.00

Old ladies don't have internet..........and they make big mistakes like this.

I am putting an ad in the next issue of AARP magazine :)

If the MP40 and the STG weren't lawfully owned prior to May 19, 1986 (and if they were in NJ, they probably weren't) I don't know if there is a way to go back and do it now. They are more than 50 years old so are C&Rs but they're also covered under NFA.

GCA 68 required registration of DEactivated WAr Trophies (DEWATS) which had earlier been declared "non-guns." Today, unless a machinegun has been cut up in accordance with BATFE requirements, it is still a machinegun, even if the barrel or other parts have been welded and the gun is not fireable.

http://www.atf.gov/p.../curios-relics/

If they had been DEWATTED with a paper trail, they could be transferable. But seeing the condition, they don't look like war trophies that had been lovingly cared for and exhibited over the last 68 years.

If the little old lady had been caught with any of this stuff, her bill from Nappen might have been more than $25,000. Probably cheaper and easier to just turn them in at a buyback. (Too bad about the Luger, though. That might have gotten her a few bucks, particularly if it had a story to go with it.)

Holy shit. You think they are going to melt that down? They should stoke the fire with their own children.

If you want to cry about this -- a WW2 P51 weighed in at 7125 lbs.

That's $5771 of aluminum scrap at today's prices. And 99.7% of WW2 vintage warbirds were turned into beer cans.

Who they kiddin'.......someone's taking that Luger home.....

Luger? Luger? fugg the Luger and throw it in the trash. I can't believe how many people in this thread don't understand the really big pointy thing that takes up almost the entire picture, and is perfectly centered within said picture.

Not gonna lie, I cried a little.

There really needs to be someone on call for anything historical that turns up. So many pieces of history could be saved from the furnace that way.

I see your historical and raise you a tragedy.

What if it was registered, pre-1986 transferable?  Being illegally possessed in jersey (there ARE MG licenses in jersey, currently BTW) would not change its status as a transferable.  It would still be a transferable in the ATF registry and could be sold out of state to a private citizen. If they destroy that I am hoping for a boatload of Karma from Mexico, taking turns with their cruelty.

There was a shooting a couple blocks away from the Church where the gun buyback was taking place yesterday.

How come the criminal wasn't at the church turning his gun in? :lol:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/communities/atlantic-city_pleasantville_brigantine/man-shot-in-the-head-at-stanley-holmes-village-in/article_d1cfacd6-93e0-11e2-bcc3-0019bb2963f4.html

The shooting occurred about a quarter-mile from Atlantic City's Second Baptist Church, which on Saturday was conducting the second day of a two-day guns-for-cash buy-back program to stem gun violence.

“While attempting to assist the victim and secure the crime scene, responding officers were greeted by a large, unruly crowd,” Brady said.

According to scanner audio posted on the blog Atlantic City 911 on Saturday, a responding officer tells the dispatcher: “The crowd's getting bad, get me some units. They're fighting one of our officers down here.”