Sludog

1 gun per month law, please explain.

I was wondering about the 1 gun purchase per 30 day period law. Lets say you buy a gun on the first of the month. You get the NICS cleared 7 days later and pick up on the 8th. From what I was told that the 30 days starts from the day you take the gun home. Correct?

Now my question is, Is the law 30 days from gun possession date to the next NICS cleared date which would be the second gun being taken home or from possession date of the first gun to actual purchase on the second gun? I would hope the 30 days would start from when you buy the gun but I am sure this is a dream not allowed in NJ.

It would be sooo nice if we didn't have to deal with this OGAM nonsense but with that being said I believe that it is 30 days from the "date of purchase" date on your previous P2P.

This. So take a look at your last used permit and look at the date of purchase field. 30 days from there. Remember its not from the 8th to the 8th. Count 30 days on a calendar. Some months have less than 30 days, some more, etc.

Also, some history: Jersey City mayor Jeremiah Healey enacted the "One gun per month" ban, which was struck down, but served as the basis for the state-wide one-gun legislation. Below is a piece by Healey, explaining his position. Also, the "local gun dealer" was Frank Caso, from Caso's, which is another reason I buy from them all the time.

Disappointing, But The Fight Isn't Over

by: Jerramiah Healy

Wed Oct 01, 2008

I am disappointed by this week's Appellate Court ruling affirming a lower court's ruling against our "One Handgun a Month" program here in Jersey City. In 2006, I introduced and our City Council passed this ordinance with a clear and simple purpose: to prevent straw buyers from purchasing handguns in bulk and then turning around and selling them to criminals. It was a common sense measure to reduce the amount of gun violence in our city.

Not long after, the NRA swept into our city with lawyers and money, finding a local gun dealer to challenge the law in the state Superior Court on the grounds that it preempts state law on the matter. Even though our state lawmakers are currently working on passing similar legislation, the Appellate Court has decided to uphold the earlier, NRA-backed ruling.

My position on gun violence has always been clear. As mayor, I spend every day fighting to make our city safer for our residents and families. I am proud to be one of the 15 original members of the bipartisan "Mayors Against Illegal Guns," a group now comprised of 250 mayors that is helping to get illegal guns off the streets. This administration instituted "Operation Lifesaver" - a gun buyback and amnesty program which removed 897 guns off our streets.

So despite today's ruling, we will continue the fight. I know I can count on my partners both in government, such as Senator Cunningham, Assemblywoman Quigley, and Mayor Cory Booker, and in the activist community, such as Bryan Miller of Ceasefire NJ, to join me in this fight to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and keep our streets safe.

In Trenton, the state's "One Handgun a Month" bill has already passed the Assembly and is awaiting a hearing in the Senate Law & Public Safety Committee. The passage of this law is vital to the interest of public safety in New Jersey. Please consider contacting your state Senator to push for action on this important piece of legislation.

Ok say you take possession of your gun. A week or two later you see another gun you want. Are you allowed to purchase or put a deposit on that gun in between the 30 day waiting period? Then start the NICS check once the 30 days have elapsed.

You can put a deposit or even pay in full but can't take possession if a face to face purchase or run your NICS if through an FFL.

So, because you cannot start the process earlier and be ready to take possession on the 30-31 day, then you effectively are utilizing the instant check which is making OGAM a 45-day proposition. Its even more disconcerting if your actual time for the permit runs out because of a two-week plus ridiculous background check.

Welcome to gun ownership in NJ! it is 30 days from possession, not purchase. Also, be careful to count 31 days to be sure. OGAM was bad enough, now it is OGAM plus a week, at least. The one saving grace is that most LGS owners are willing to work with you.