Sign in to follow this  
Lalo

Legality of .22LR Pistol "AR" in NJ

So in my other thread we discussed the legality of the S&W 15-22P and determined that it was illegal. Since I'm still looking for something similar, I came across the HK 416 .22 LR Pistol. I began talking to the shop owner and he swears up and down that this pistol is NJ legal. A cop was there at the shop as well and he concurred as well (but what does he know, right?). Since this pistol is very similar to the S&W 15-22P and that was determined illegal in NJ by the masses here, I need your thoughts on this HK before I pick it up. What say you? Magazine capacity is 10 rounds btw.

temporary_zpse2212103.jpg

Specifications

Caliber - .22 L.R.

Capacity - 10 or 20 rds

Mode of Fire - Semi-Auto

Barrel Length - 8.5 in (216 mm)

Barrel Twist - 1 in 13-3/4 in

Rifling Grooves - 6

Rifling Length - 13.78 in (350 mm)

Front Sight - Fixed - Removeable Post

Rear Sight - Adjustable - Windage & Elevation

Overall Length - 17.5 in (445 mm)

Overall Height w/Mag - 11.4 in (290 mm)

Overall Width - 3 in (75 mm)

Stock Style - N/A

Trigger Type - Single-stage

Trigger Pull - 6.6-9.9 lbs

Safety Type - Manual

Principal of Operation - Blowback

Muzzle Thread - M8x.75

Length of Pull - N/A

Sight Radius - 10 in (255 mm)

Diameter Rear Sight Aperture - .1 / .12 / 0.14 / 0.24 in

Front Sight Width - .06 in (1.5 mm)

Weight w/out Mag - 4.9 lbs (2200 g)

Weight of empty Mag20 - 6.8 oz (190 g)

Features

- Upper and Lower Metal Receivers

- RIS-Rail Interface System

- On-Rail Sights

His response to the handguard issue, "It's not a handguard, it's a rail".

NJ gives a partial definition of what they consider to be a shroud and it being a rail or not does not seem like it has any relevance..

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

NOT legal imo

His response to the handguard issue, "It's not a handguard, it's a rail".

His point? It has a shroud that completely encircles the barrel allowing you to hold the firearm with the non trigger hand without being burned. It's a barrel shroud for the purposes of the law.

Also is it under 50oz?

It's more than 50 oz. I was just there talking to the guy again and I pointed out some of these items. I mentioned the weight, he said "its not a 223, it's a 22lr. Don't have to worry about that". I thought a pistol was a pistol, max weight of 50oz right? "not if its a .22". Ok, what about the shroud, can't have anything covering the barrel, he said the same thing again, ""its not a 223, it's a 22lr, I've had state police in here looking at this gun and they saw nothing illegal about it". So yeah, I think I'm going to stay away, even though there was a cop there before and he said it was fine. Who knows he could have been the owner's buddy or just clueless.

NJ, your restarted laws defeat me yet again...

"the shoulder thing that goes up"

"No, I don't know what a barrel shroud is"

In her legislation, but it's not important to know the details......

Didn't she also say the legislation included features from weapons that were used to kill police officers?

There's little hope for 'common sense' gun laws in NJ

Its very simply.

If you do not feel comfortable about its legality, then don't buy it.

Ten people will give you ten opinions, but at the end of the day, you are the owner.

My advice...do not take anyone's advice on this forum as factual. It will not hold weight in court. Most folks, if not all, already know that.

Good luck on your final decision!

It's more than 50 oz. I was just there talking to the guy again and I pointed out some of these items. I mentioned the weight, he said "its not a 223, it's a 22lr. Don't have to worry about that". I thought a pistol was a pistol, max weight of 50oz right? "not if its a .22". Ok, what about the shroud, can't have anything covering the barrel, he said the same thing again, ""its not a 223, it's a 22lr, I've had state police in here looking at this gun and they saw nothing illegal about it". So yeah, I think I'm going to stay away, even though there was a cop there before and he said it was fine. Who knows he could have been the owner's buddy or just clueless.

You can't really blame this one on the way the law is written. It is clarified in the NJAC and is pretty straightforward on what a disqualifying feature is. This gun clearly has three disqualifying features = shroud, weight, mag outside the grip. The guy behind the gun counter is an idiot and you should out him and/or the name of the LGS - he's going to get somebody jammed-up and I doubt he'll pay their attorney fees nor serve their time in jail. If you actually go back there again, ask him to show you in the law where it exempts rimfires - for that matter, make a little money and bet him he can't find it.

Know the law yourself and be comfortable with what you're buying. Do not depend on the LGS to be your source on what is and isn't legal (PX90 exempted, of course).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Its very simply.

If you do not feel comfortable about its legality, then don't buy it.

Ten people will give you ten opinions, but at the end of the day, you are the owner.

My advice...do not take anyone's advice on this forum as factual. It will not hold weight in court. Most folks, if not all, already know that.

Good luck on your final decision!

there are some parts of the law that are opinion...

but some of it is VERY factual.. this is all factual.. the gun is not NJ legal..

Didn't she also say the legislation included features from weapons that were used to kill police officers?

It is so nice to go to a gun store and only worry about price. :)

Weight, weight, weight. This stops almost every "cool" handgun from being legal in nj. Includes the vz58 pistol currently being made. One exception was a 223 pistol, ar type that weighed 46 ounces.

Yes, but even those required running without a handguard (= shroud) to be legal

You DO realize that Idiot or not, Carolyn McCarthy had pretty much NOTHING to do with NJ's law...right??? The Federal Ban came several Years after NJ's was already in place