Old Dog

Why one gun per month?

I moved from NJ before there was a one gun per month rule and am trying to understand what it is supposed to accomplish. Does it apply to only handguns or all firearms. Since you can only shoot one firearm at a time, two if you have one in each hand, what is it supposed to prevent? Am I more dangerous if I attack you with 10 firearms instead of 1? Is it going to change a mentally ill person's mind about a mass killing if he has to wait an extra month or two? From what I read it appears that these kind of guys plan their attacks for months anyway. If it just applies to handguns, WTF? Rifles are much more deadly than handguns. I just do not get the logic behind the law and was not up there when it was made law so I missed the process that made it law.

Our legislature astutely picked up on the fact that, due to NJ's recklessly lax gun laws, people were flocking to NJ to make straw purchases. OGAM has forced straw purchasers to reluctantly jump through the arbitrarily imposed hoops in states like VA and as a result, saved the lives of countless children. We should be grateful for the endless wisdom of our rulers.

Because somebody needs to think of the children!

I cannot read this statement without thinking about the hypocrisy of our country who fires drones to kill one man and counts the dead innocent children who happen to be standing too close as collateral and acceptable damage. Politicians who say this do nothing about the many other things that kill our children in greater numbers like swimming pools and school buses but when it comes to guns it is a different story. I tend to view people as humans with all those things we try to pretend we have risen above like violence. Sugar coat it all we like, we are just acting the same way as humans did since the beginning of our species. We still wage war and kill people who do not believe as we do and yet loudly proclaim our opposition to violence.

I get it now. Florida has a more sensible approach in that anyone purchasing more than 2/3 guns is reported to BATF who then has the option to investigate whether it is a straw purchase or not. This does not impose any buying limits on me nor does it register my guns as only the type of weapon is reported and not the serial number. So we already have a method of monitoring straw purchases and yet NJ saw fit to make their own. Interesting.

You would think that politicians have learned some lessons from our failed attempt on illegal drug control where we now hand out clean needles to addicts as that saves more lives than anything else our government does. Stop the source and another source will be found so the problem does not go away, just the method.

The unsupported theory is to prevent straw purchases.

The other unsupported theory is that gangsters in Camden and Trenton are too dumb to find their way across the Delaware River to Pennsylvania. To make those New Jersey prohibited straw purchases of more than one handgun per month.

I moved from NJ before there was a one gun per month rule and am trying to understand what it is supposed to accomplish. Does it apply to only handguns or all firearms. Since you can only shoot one firearm at a time, two if you have one in each hand, what is it supposed to prevent? Am I more dangerous if I attack you with 10 firearms instead of 1? Is it going to change a mentally ill person's mind about a mass killing if he has to wait an extra month or two? From what I read it appears that these kind of guys plan their attacks for months anyway. If it just applies to handguns, WTF? Rifles are much more deadly than handguns. I just do not get the logic behind the law and was not up there when it was made law so I missed the process that made it law.

.....and you never will........ there is no logic, only politics.

This was Corzine's master plan to get reelected since he had nothing to show the masses. Since Democrats do not like guns, they figured it would be a good way to slow the "proliferation" of handguns. As others have said, this was rammed through the legislature at 2am, with a lot of arm twisting, under the guise of preventing straw purchases - the biggest farce ever.

The OGAM rule has been thrown out! It is now one gun every 36-45 days thanks to extended "Instant" NICS!

OGAM is retarded and serves no useful purpose. However the "extended OGAM" due to NICS is all over the forums and actually that is a procedural issue with the dealer you are purchasing the firearm from. There are NO laws that prevent a dealer/FFL from running the NICS check in advance of the transfer. In fact NICS is valid for 30 days from the date it was initiated. I allow my clients to complete their NICS in advance of transfer of the firearm if they are waiting on the 30 day rule and everything else is in place. I will not allow NICS in advance if they are waiting for a pistol permit or FID Card, that is a variable amount of time and cannot be predicted.

The unsupported theory is to prevent straw purchases.

+1. This.

The people who sponsored this bill can't imagine why anybody even needs *one* gun much less multiple handguns. It's a solution in search of a problem and makes a good sound bite.