Sign in to follow this  
jonfoxx

.22 Rifle - Bolt or Semi-Auto

I wanted to get an entry level .22 rifle in the $200 range. I originally wanted a semi-auto but after seeing reviews of a few that I was interested in, they all seemed to have jam issues. So now I'm thinking of going to a bolt action instead. Any suggestions on non-jamming semi's in that price range or bolt action rifles?

Track down a Remington Nylon 66, Go talk to Bob's in Glassboro. My buddy had luck getting a good deal on one. I got mine in January at Cabelas for a steal and love it. No feeding problems, has at every type of bullet I've put through it. I promise you won't regret it

Ruger 10/22 own the market. Basic unit always comes up on sale somewhere. Marlin 60, 795 great units also. 60 has tube feed. Tons of used 60s around. Old ones (not Marlington's - made before2004) can't kill 'em just like rugers. They do need a little TLC. Most need buffers replaced and they are GTG again. Repair parts are easy to get. See a lot of them sold for $100 or less and with a TLC action job and scrubbing good as new again. Stock lousy, Boyd's make great wood replacements

They're .22s...you can get both types [used] for slightly more than your budget if you shop smart....

I've seen a lot of love for the Marlin 795 and Remington 597s, and of course, the standard for semi-autos, the 10/22...as for bolt actions, I love my Marlins (25N and XT-22), and plan to add one of the Savage models eventually. A Henry lever action should round out your collection....

Certainly many very famous names in this thread, reputable models and good advice in all shapes and sizes ...

It is very easy to find yourself wanting and/or just buying both. Rimfire is a ton of fun and has become sooo popular there is such a variety and until recently plenty of cheap ammo. (My oh my oh Pie-o-my! how times have changed in a few months).

The bolt action will be the absolute longest lasting least maintenance hardest to mess-up etc. Plenty of accuracy and less moving parts to break or malfunction- I can and will HIGHLY Recommend Savage Mark II .22LR's... they have some $600 showpieces but mine was a "basic" $200, had on sale for $150- and that is a beautiful wooden stock, some nice checkering, a cheap scope etc. Cannot beat it with a stick, I mean it is *amazing* shooting for any price, *let alone* $150.

I also have a Remington 597, also was $200 w/ a scope, this is a semiautomatic and a fine rifle I love mine, but I put a ton of time and effort and modifcations etc, this is a rifle of passion IMHO, the bolt action is a lot more plug-n-play IMHO.

Not for $200 but for $400+ you start to enter The Tactical Twenty-Two zone, where you can get an AR-15/M4 Carbine, MP5, Sig Sauer 550-style, HK 416, etc. and many many more tactical style rifles that look just like they came off a battlefield but shoot .22LR... (I went with the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22).

It is NOT hard and very fun and easy to become addicted to rimfire.... you just don't want to WASTE money, although it is hard to fine smething WORTHLESS. As I said, many fine rifles and reccomendations in this thread, I felt like I would add my own, bolt-action Savage Mark II (GXP) , Remington 597 , and S&W M&P 15-22

+1 for the 10/22. However, I did just purchase a MK II bolt-action, waiting on background check to clear. My friend has one and says it's a great rifle. The Ruger cost me a little more then the MK II. MK II at Dicks Sporting Goods with background check and scope was just over $200.

Both are relatively easy to find, just call/look around...someone always has a few in my area.

I would take my Savage Mark II over my highly customized Ruger 10/22 any day of the week. In fact, the Savage sees frequent range time whereas the Ruger is a safe queen. The Savage is more accurate and never jams that's why it gets used more.

Henry Frontier with the Ogtagon barrel. Hands down my favorite. I have a ruger 10/22 as well but that Henry action is smooth as glass and accurate as I can shoot it. Love my Henry. Bought it at Cabelas before all this nonsense.

Shoot CCI ammo and you should not have any problems with semi.

I generally feel this way as well, I basically use the company brands CCI and Federal for all my rimfire needs. CCI has a bunch of different lines and I love them all, Federal has the world famous bulk pack which might be the best buy in all of ammunition and also when Federal AutoMatch came out in like what, late summer 2010? I also love that, has SKYROCKETED in price, originally was $14.49 /325 at Walmart. If that was still avail I'd prob buy 500 dollars worth.

But yeah, with CCI and Federal I have all my rimfire needs met. I have other ammos from when I was just getting started nd would buy anything, but won't buy anymore.

I generally feel this way as well, I basically use the company brands CCI and Federal for all my rimfire needs. CCI has a bunch of different lines and I love them all, Federal has the world famous bulk pack which might be the best buy in all of ammunition and also when Federal AutoMatch came out in like what, late summer 2010? I also love that, has SKYROCKETED in price, originally was $14.49 /325 at Walmart. If that was still avail I'd prob buy 500 dollars worth.

But yeah, with CCI and Federal I have all my rimfire needs met. I have other ammos from when I was just getting started nd would buy anything, but won't buy anymore.

Ever try Winchester .22 ammo? I was thinking of trying to get some online. The prices I have seen are comparable to Remington.

Ever try Winchester .22 ammo? I was thinking of trying to get some online. The prices I have seen are comparable to Remington.

I did back in early and mid 2010, when I first got my FID the first week of Jan 10 and started my purchasing (I had saved a lot or at least a decent amount to be able to do some purchasing early and often) ... and I was buying some .22's and lots of ammo and different ammos at that.

Winchester was basically tied with Remington as the worst stuff I'd ever bought. I will not shoot a round of winchester nor remington through my 597, Mark II, nor 15-22 under any circumstance other than SHTF ... I HAVE a couple'a-few boxes of assorted Rem/Win rimfires in my ammo storage but, not for anything other than JUST IN CaSE.

*** OTHER PEOPLE*** will surely say it's their favorite it works all the time I suck and they hate me and that is all fine and good, I can only give you my experience and opinion, and while my experience is not absolutely EXTENSIVE it is in fact figuratively full and varied, and my opinion while of course only my own, is always as unbiased as I can be (I believe we all have a BIT of bias in this game somehow or another but we can make educated choices and informed opinions based on our cumulative training, education, experience, intangibles, etc.).

So for me, No Winchester rimfire nor Remington.... there are other brands I will try and buy, but as I said, if I COULD, I'd only stock CCI and Federal and I'd be extremely happy and extremely straight shooting.

do you have any experience with Fiocchi?

Sorry I am a week + late on this, just coming on for the first time since.

]

I do not have [any?] Fiocchi rimfire ammo in my stores, that I know of at the moment, off the top of my head, BUT- I do have a decent amount of Fiocchi shotgun ammo and have bought it since 2010 and its great prices and great stuff. Basically the best value for dollar in 00 Buck and Rifle Slugs you can get IMHO. I have noticed Fiocchi having the new circular boxes of .22LR and if their rimfire is as good as their shotgun ammo and in the same price quality , I could say it'll be amazing.

I have always loved Fiocchi and would not have a problem buying any of their ammos even without testing.

tried out the canned heat 22lr from Fiocchi last weekend.. have to say, it worked great.. not a single FTF between the 22 rifle and buckmark we used them in... if i ever find them again (at a reasonable price), i would have no hesitation in buying them..

Ok, I settled on the Ruger 10/22. Had to go all the way to PA because I could't get one through my local dealer and he basically said, "if you find somewhere, get it", they are hard to find like everything else these days. Now my question is this: I see that they have this TriMAg thing that connects 3 - 10 round magazines together so you can pull it out, rotate and insert another easily and quickly. Are they NJ legal? They are still 3 SEPARATE magaizines the way I see it, but Jersey may feel different. So does anyone have knowledge of these and ther legality?