You are driving home from a range, or to the range, or from a FFL dealer with gun/rifle in your car trunk... stopped by a LEO for whatever reason... are you required by the law to tell the LEO that you have a gun/rifle in the car trunk?

I'd like to know as well. In OK we were told to declare it when stopped. Never seen the law supporting it but it was briefed when in processing the base. There is almost zero anti 2A there however they made it very clear it was illegal to drag someone into your house and shoot them under castle doctrine. :hunter:

Many states have laws requiring you to inform if you are CCWing. Some states have laws requiring you to inform LE if you have a gun in the vehicle anywhere. NJ has neither even if you have a Carry Permit. However, if asked you should probably tell the LEO. Not sure of NJ statutes but if a Fed asks you and you lie you can be charged under 18USC1001. In over 45 years of driving I have never been asked if I have never been asked if I have a gun in the car when stopped although in some circumstances I volunteered that information.

Many states have laws requiring you to inform if you are CCWing. Some states have laws requiring you to inform LE if you have a gun in the vehicle anywhere. NJ has neither. However, if asked you should probably tell the LEO. Not sure of NJ statutes but if a Fed asks you and you lie you can be charged under 18USC1001. In over 45 years of driving I have never been asked if I have never been asked if I have a gun in the car when stopped although in some circumstances I volunteered that information.

Griz, when you declared you had a weapon in the vehicle what happened next? I'm sure it varies from cop to cop. But he do anything crazy like place you in his backseat while he inspected the weapon and called in serial number? Or just said have a nice day.

For me the process is a little different because I carry. When I am stopped I go through the exact same process all the time (pulled over for speeding alot)

1. flashers on until its safe to pull over for both me and the LEO

2. interior lights on hands on steering wheel NO MOVEMENT ( I am not reaching for info until he gets there and asks me to)

3. when asked for info, I advise that I have a loaded weapon, where it is and that I am on the job carrying under LEOSA. I then ask if he woud like me to go in my center console for my infomation.

9 times out of 10- no problems. They normally ask for my work ID, shoot the bull for a few min tell me to slow down and then carry on. occasionally ill get a citation but the weapon has NEVER been a problem.

as far as the OP goes, if I were in that situation and pulled over routinely or for speeding I wouldn't bring it up. Cops hear gun and get nervous. if asked to exit the vehicle or if god forbid you give consent to search, I would be 100% honest NEVER LIE about it!!!! they normally will ask if there is anything they need to know about in your vehicle and thats when you tell them I am legally carrying such and such weapon that i am bringing to the range/returning home from the range just bought at the FFL." trust me LEO's do NOT like suprises!! especially when it comes to guns!

Griz, when you declared you had a weapon in the vehicle what happened next? I'm sure it varies from cop to cop. But he do anything crazy like place you in his backseat while he inspected the weapon and called in serial number? Or just said have a nice day.
I'm a retired LEO and have a carry permit. In NJ, NY, PA, or other states you are not required to notify, I don't unless there is some chance they are going to see the gun (like telling me to get out of the car). If I'm in a state I'm not sure of I would notify although under LEOSA you are not obligated to. I'd like to know if you were carrying (not transporting) if I stopped you. I never had any real issues except twice. When I was working in AZ I was back in NJ for vacation. It was hot and I had a car without ac and I put my 1911 on the passenger seat as I wanted to avoid sweating all over it. I got stopped and as the cop approached I realized the gun was on the seat. If I made a move to hide the gun he would see that and I wanted to avoid problems. As he approached I put both hands out of the driver's window, told him I was a Federal Officer and I had a gun on the passenger seat and asked him what he wanted me to do. He didn't draw, told me to get out of the car and put my hands on the roof. I told him my ID was in my left back pocket, he took it out, examined it, and then said okay. Nothing happened.

The only incident worth mentioning in a few years after I retired I got stopped in Morris County. I handed over my DL, Reg, and my carry permit somehow was sandwiched between the two. That's easy to do as its the same size and coated like your DL. He asked me if I was a retired LEO and I told him yes. What happened next was strange. He asked me if I was armed. I told him yes. He then asked to see my gun. Not hand it to him just show it. I advsied him it was loaded but he told me he wanted to see it. I took my J frame from my strong side holster with thumb and forefinger on the grip and held it up for him to see. He then said okay you can put it away. He asked me if i had a retired Id and I showed him. He then gave me a 10 minute lecture on how Feds really don't do anything and then let me go.

I never had anyone handle my guns at any time. I never had anyone ask to search my car. I also don't get stopped very much like 3 times in the past 8 years. I also never have personally heard of any LEO stopping someone and tossing their car because they found they were legally transporting firerams. I guess it happens though.

For me the process is a little different because I carry. When I am stopped I go through the exact same process all the time (pulled over for speeding alot)

1. flashers on until its safe to pull over for both me and the LEO

2. interior lights on hands on steering wheel NO MOVEMENT ( I am not reaching for info until he gets there and asks me to)

3. when asked for info, I advise that I have a loaded weapon, where it is and that I am on the job carrying under LEOSA. I then ask if he woud like me to go in my center console for my infomation.

9 times out of 10- no problems. They normally ask for my work ID, shoot the bull for a few min tell me to slow down and then carry on. occasionally ill get a citation but the weapon has NEVER been a problem.

as far as the OP goes, if I were in that situation and pulled over routinely or for speeding I wouldn't bring it up. Cops hear gun and get nervous. if asked to exit the vehicle or if god forbid you give consent to search, I would be 100% honest NEVER LIE about it!!!! they normally will ask if there is anything they need to know about in your vehicle and thats when you tell them I am legally carrying such and such weapon that i am bringing to the range/returning home from the range just bought at the FFL." trust me LEO's do NOT like suprises!! especially when it comes to guns!

Thats alot of work.. i just tin and identify myself and if he still wants my info i let him know im carrying. Never been an issue

That only happens in NJ when they suspect you of "DWB"

DWW exists as well. I was leaving Camden once at 2am from Cooper Hospital and got pulled over and was asked if I needed help or needed directions back to the highway...

DWW exists as well. I was leaving Camden once at 2am from Cooper Hospital and got pulled over and was asked if I needed help or needed directions back to the highway...

Yup. I too have been a victim of DWW in Camden. "Excuse me sir but do you know this is not a nice neighborhood..."

Yup. I too have been a victim of DWW in Camden. "Excuse me sir but do you know this is not a nice neighborhood..."

Haha... I *THINK* the Camden cops figure I came over for weed and just wanted to stop me to see if they could smell it.

IMHO only and this only applies to civilians. Never volunteer information to a LEO. And never admit that you have firearms in the car even if you are legal. (To or from range gun store etc.) And don’t be fooled into thinking that a spirit of cooperation on your part means anything to the officer. Remember that any and all information you give can and will be used against you. They cannot search your car without a warrant. And unless there is a dam good reason on their part no judge will approve one…I was recently pulled over on way home from the gun store. I did not buy anything but I did pick up an AR15 catalog that was sitting on my front seat. “I see you have a gun catalog, do you have any firearms in the vehicle” My answer “no” and it would have been no even if I did. Officer went back to his car and ran every check he could probable do. 15 minutes later I received my ticket and proceeded home. When it comes to LEO’s the less you say the better off you will be. Oh, and by the way this advice comes to me from a close family member who is an LEO. And he’s is a Sargent with 30 years’ experience.

That's because you're a cop. Doesn't apply to non-LEO.

Can anyone post a verified horror story of someone legally transporting a firearm that was tossed by police? yes it can happen but how often?

Remember the guy in Cherry Hill that got arrested for having an assault weapon? He had a pump shotgun with a (edit) collapsible stock. I don't remember the specifics, but it was a thread on this board.

If asked if I have anything (drugs, firearms, etc) in my car I will be sticking with my coverall answer, "there is nothing illegal in my vehicle, sir."

look up brian aitken

Edit spelling

Aitken is no poster boy for using good judgement:

1. He said something that caused his mother to call the police and left.

2. When the police arrived his mother called him and he returned knowing the police were there and knowing he had the guns in his trunk.

3. He was talking with the police about an hour before they discovered the guns and he was arrested.

4. i heard two stories after his arrest. One was that he was "moving". The other was his room mate was having a party and didn't want the guns around during the party. Which is true? They both came from Aitken.

Remember the guy in Cherry Hill that got arrested for having an assault weapon? He had a pump shotgun with a folding stock. I don't remember the specifics, but it was a thread on this board.

If asked if I have anything (drugs, firearms, etc) in my car I will be sticking with my coverall answer, "there is nothing illegal in my vehicle, sir."

It was a shotgun with a pistol grip. IIRC he had the gun on the back seat or floor of his vehicle unlocked. He was transporting the gun improperly.

Most of these stories are a result of the actor screwing up somehow.

You can stick to saying "I have nothing illegal". But if the cop asks you point blank if you have any guns and you keep saying "I have nothing illegal". You may come off as a wiseass and leave the cop to deduce you do have guns.

It is never in your interest to speak to a police officer about anything. Be friendly, but remember:

"I'd rather not answer"

"I plead the fifth"

"Do you have probably cause?"

And remember, police officers are under no obligation to be truthful with you.

It is never in your interest to speak to a police officer about anything. Be friendly, but remember:

"I'd rather not answer"

"I plead the fifth"

"Do you have probably cause?"

And remember, police officers are under no obligation to be truthful with you.

Number 1 and 2 sound like you have something to hide.

Number 3 sounds like you're being a jailhouse lawyer.

There are times saying something to the police will help you. If you don't know when they are you're better off saying nothing.

There are times saying something to the police will help you. .

Far as I am concerned, only if they are investigating an offense I have reported. First thing they teach you in cop school, put people at ease and keep them talking. Sooner or later they will stick a foot in it.