7-3-2

recommend some pocket 9mms for my wife

Hey guys,

So after bringing my wife (who was previously scared of guns) to the range she is hooked and wants her own. We have been waiting for our permits for over 3 months now and she seems to have her heart set on the m&p shield. She liked my m&p full size but she wants something smaller ( yes, I told her about pocket guns and heavy recoil but she doesn't care). Since I have never shot any of the pocket 9mms on the market I figured I would reach out to the njgunforums community for opinions on which pocket 9's my wife should look at before just setting her heart on the shield. Btw, I am not going to push her in any direction the choice is hers, I just want to make sure she doesnt overlook any options.

I mostly pocket carry and have bought just about all the pocket nines out there. Two things have to be taken into account. First is if she really is going to carry in her pocket or not. If not then you should look at the Shield which I found to be the best of the larger pocket nines. If true pocket carry is wanted than the best value is the Kahr CM9. Fits well in a pocket and shoot soft for its size. The other thing to look out for is trigger pull and how hard the slide is to work. I went through all of this with my wife and the Kahr has a very strong spring which give some women problems. Sigs have easier to use slides and the P938 may be the ticket if price is not a problem and learning to use a manual safety is not an issue.

I did not like the Ruger LC9 due to is very long trigger. The Kel-Tec PF9 actually fit the best in my pocket and was the lightest. Although it was 100% reliable for me I just did not like that it looked so unrefined compared to my more expensive guns so I sold it. The little Sig P290RS is also a nice gun but a little thick. If she will mainly carry in her pocketbook the Glock 26 is a winner. Easy to use and shoot. It is hard to say without knowing your wife. I have bought many a gun for my wife only to have her not like it for various reasons. Best thing is to let her rent some to shoot because going by looks, size and how they feel in her hand is not a good indicator of whether she will like shooting and carrying the gun. A heavy gun that is put in a pocket or purse for a minute or two feels a lot heavier when carried for a hour.

Just bought a shield 9mm. Have yet to get it to the range to judge recoil. But since my other pistol is a 1911 I think I'll find it manageable. The ergonomics of the thing are amazing. Small but fits your hand nice. Just a well thought out and put together gun.

Sort of like they reinvented the wheel I know. But you have to put it in your hand to see. They could have smoothed out the trigger some it's a little gritty but I hope that will work its self out over time. Its narrower then a pack of smokes and a consealed holster you dont know its there. Amazing really.

Thanks for all the responses Ill be sure to bring her to this post later on tonight,

First is if she really is going to carry in her pocket or not. If not then you should look at the Shield which I found to be the best of the larger pocket nines. If true pocket carry is wanted than the best value is the Kahr CM9. Fits well in a pocket and shoot soft for its size.

Best thing is to let her rent some to shoot because going by looks, size and how they feel in her hand is not a good indicator of whether she will like shooting and carrying the gun. A heavy gun that is put in a pocket or purse for a minute or two feels a lot heavier when carried for a hour.

Funny thing is that carrying the gun really doesnt have too much to do with the decision because unless we do a lot of traveling or move that probably wont happen anyway. This gun will end up being mostly a range/HD/PD gun for her but she wants something smaller. Personally I think shed be better off with a compact instead of a subcompact but it is her gun and who am I to tell where what to buy. I just want to make sure she doesnt fall in love with the idea of the shield before seeing what other options are out there.

If it's more of a range/HD gun then go with a compact over a subcompact. It will be easier to shoot, generally. Subcompacts tend to be heavier on the recoil and you tend to compromise on some things....

That being said, the trigger pull on the Beretta Nano is long, but smooth. For a gun with no safety and no manual controls everywhere, it's perfect (IMO).

If it's more of a range/HD gun then go with a compact over a subcompact. It will be easier to shoot, generally. Subcompacts tend to be heavier on the recoil and you tend to compromise on some things....

That being said, the trigger pull on the Beretta Nano is long, but smooth. For a gun with no safety and no manual controls everywhere, it's perfect (IMO).

Oh trust me I agree that a compact will be better but you know it is when a women sets her mind on something lol.

Thanks for all the responses Ill be sure to bring her to this post later on tonight,

Funny thing is that carrying the gun really doesnt have too much to do with the decision because unless we do a lot of traveling or move that probably wont happen anyway. This gun will end up being mostly a range/HD/PD gun for her but she wants something smaller. Personally I think shed be better off with a compact instead of a subcompact but it is her gun and who am I to tell where what to buy. I just want to make sure she doesnt fall in love with the idea of the shield before seeing what other options are out there.

If that is the case then go bigger. The Shield will allow her to get a full grip but is still a small gun. I am sure that after she holds of shoots a subcompact where her pinkie does not fit or barely fits, she will want something larger. Sub compacts recoil more and are harder to shoot than larger guns. They are poor choices for HD and range use as all the recoil is felt in a very small area and there is a lot more of it because the gun is so small and light and does not absorb it. I vote for the Shield.

My daughter (21 yr old, 95 lbs soaken wet) has a Walther PK380, easy on the recoil and the slide is easy to rack. Nice grip and it's about the same size as the Shield with the mag extension. Easy on the wallet.

If she likes James Bond, you mite look at the Walther PPKs. A little more expensive but sweet pistol.

IDK where you are but I have a shield that could use some exercise. I have to warn you that the last guy who shot it had to go buy one of his own :p

I used to have a Springfield EMP which was gorgeous but expensive and heavy. Did you see those yet?

that was me lol

+1 for the shield

If you are local, you guys are free to try next time im at Range 14

Pocket pistol?

S&W 642/442 is an excellent choice for a small carry gun.

Extremely light, ultra reliable

I prefer the 642,and I've owned the Glock 26, and the PM9

Should probably mention i have "wheelgun-itis" though, so Im clearly biased!

Yo Kev, I just picked up my XD-9 sc yesterday. I gotta get to the range with it but you and her can shoot it if you want to see. It comes with 2 10 rounders, one in which has the grip extension on it. Feels great in the hand but idk the recoil yet.

I really like my Beretta PX4 compact. It holds 15 rounds. They also make it as a sub-compact. Both would be worth atleast holding if you are doing some browsing.

I think I might have an answer ... I can order a shield and a PPQ and have them both shipped to my local FFL and see which one she likes. I guess I'll just HAVE to buy the leftovers (and of course make it my life's purpose to find a way to make her regret her choice haha).

So are you saying that the grip on the shield is larger than most subcompacts?

Yes. Shield grip with longer magazine is longer than M&P Compact and closer to Glock 19 in length. Not really a pocket pistol, but due to thinness, probably the best IWB carry out there esp. For the price point value. Is it percfect? No. But it is good and trigger getsbwetter

Gotta shoot them before you buy! The last thing you want is to own 2 guns that you dont care for..

I know that would be the smartest approach but in all honesty I have yet to find a gun I didn't like. Heck my sp101 22lr was the only gun I didn't like and I tried selling it but found that it actually grew on me and now I wouldn't sell it ofor anything. In my opinion quality and a good manufacturer who stands behind its products are the key factors ... I can always learn to appreciate ANY firearm unless it just doesn't function.