Johnk-NJ

How long are pistol purchase permits taking to get?

60 days plus here in union

He must be backed up.. I usually got them in 6 weeks flat but my most recent ones were 8 weeks as well. Going to have to see him for an extension soon.

A friend of mine, who still lives in Elizabeth got his recently after a 13 month wait. The one permit limit is illegal.

13 months?!.. That's just ridiculous.. I'm trying to get him to call the Mayor to get some attention to the delay.. Yea the 1 permit thing is pathetic and NJ2AS is aware of it.

I'm at 106 days and counting for 3 P2P's from NJSP Woodbine.

I know for a fact the issue isn't with the Woodbine Barracks- It's Trenton. I applied on 12/20/12, all of my references were called on 12/28/12, and the paperwork went out that week to Trenton.

13 months?!.. That's just ridiculous.. I'm trying to get him to call the Mayor to get some attention to the delay.. Yea the 1 permit thing is pathetic and NJ2AS is aware of it.

Good luck there. Mayor Bollwage is a proud member of maig. Not exactly gun friendly.

I know for a fact the issue isn't with the Woodbine Barracks- It's Trenton. I applied on 12/20/12, all of my references were called on 12/28/12, and the paperwork went out that week to Trenton.

Forgive me, as I've gotten a ton of knowledge (and I'd hope successfully educating others at this point) but when you say "Trenton", I'm assuming for the background check? Because my LE friends told me that the mental health records searches are done (at least they're SUPPOSED to be-but that doesn't stop some fools from making an indirect trip) directly through your county.

Forgive me, as I've gotten a ton of knowledge (and I'd hope successfully educating others at this point) but when you say "Trenton", I'm assuming for the background check? Because my LE friends told me that the mental health records searches are done (at least they're SUPPOSED to be-but that doesn't stop some fools from making an indirect trip) directly through your county.

I think when you go through a NJSP barracks(my local department) they call your references, and then mail the whole package up to Trenton(I guess at SP HQ?). The barracks does not send out the mental health form to the county. Someone in Trenton does.

Is it just me or are the NJSP taking much longer than the local departments these days? I am going through the Hamilton station, so far I am way over 100 days and was just told "another couple of months". And this was just for a change of address no P2Ps. Had I known it was going to be this long I would have put in a couple of P2Ps.

Is it just me or are the NJSP taking much longer than the local departments these days? I am going through the Hamilton station, so far I am way over 100 days and was just told "another couple of months". And this was just for a change of address no P2Ps. Had I known it was going to be this long I would have put in a couple of P2Ps.

True. It's insane to me that the STATE division, whom all of these checks go through in the first place takes the longest. I get that they might be dealing with higher volumes, but that's not our problem. Add in the fact that 9/10, anyone who is responsible for FPID's is an angry individual unhappy with their job.

He must be backed up.. I usually got them in 6 weeks flat but my most recent ones were 8 weeks as well. Going to have to see him for an extension soon.

Call the State Police and complain to them, happened in my town, a guy had a 9 month wait and the person called the state police and a officer showed up, sat down with the chief and ordered him to issue the gentlmens permits on the spot

Call the State Police and complain to them, happened in my town, a guy had a 9 month wait and the person called the state police and a officer showed up, sat down with the chief and ordered him to issue the gentlmens permits on the spot

Who do we call and complain about when it is the NJSP that we are forced to deal with. Some of us are going on 4 or 5 months already!

Who do we call and complain about when it is the NJSP that we are forced to deal with. Some of us are going on 4 or 5 months already!

No one. Because we all know that complaining or even inquiring about your status will be met with irritation for bothering them, and reprisals in the form of moving your apps to the bottom of the pile. "Battered gun syndrome". If PD's (including the SP) really were interested in making THEIR lives easier--they'd lobby for getting out of the middle of this 1966 process, and doing it like any other reasonable state.

No one. Because we all know that complaining or even inquiring about your status will be met with irritation for bothering them, and reprisals in the form of moving your apps to the bottom of the pile. "Battered gun syndrome". If PD's (including the SP) really were interested in making THEIR lives easier--they'd lobby for getting out of the middle of this 1966 process, and doing it like any other reasonable state.

In this day and age there is no reason why this is not 100% automated. Not only would it be faster it would be less labor intensive and most likely more accurate!

Sorry, just venting again.

Someone HAS to be accountable. I think it's time to get our state's representatives involved in this. We do have some pro-gun senators and assemblymen. I know in Cape May County Senator Jeff Van Drew is pro-gun. Write letters, call them, explain to them that this is unacceptable. Waiting 4-5 months for a permit when some areas are turning them out in just a couple weeks proves that there is some sort of issue going on at the State Police. If it's volume, get them more employees to speed things along. At some point, one must ask, are my 2A rights being infringed upon? I've essentially been denied my right to purchase a handgun for months now.

In this day and age there is no reason why this is not 100% automated. Not only would it be faster it would be less labor intensive and most likely more accurate!

Sorry, just venting again.

Like every other state that efficiently does it this way. There's no reason that I need "permission" (FPID or P2P) to even HANDLE a firearm in an FFL. More accurate for sure. If they were really serious about this, the correct process (and even going a step further bringing into the 21st century) would go something like this:

1) I'll concede having a set of Morpho prints done prior to wanting to purchase a firearm. Those biometric prints are then uploaded to the FBI/NICS for SBI.

2) I walk into a FFL, choose my firearm

3) Provide my driver's license (may be pointless after steps 1 and 4) to show identification of residency, proof of citizenship, and identity

4) Provide my thumbprint biometrically

5) POC NICS is done with step 4 electronically--no phone calls, no faxes. No SP or privatized 3rd party involvement, no additional "fees" for the Federal free service

6) Approved NICS in minutes, and I happily walk out the door with my new goodies

Someone HAS to be accountable. I think it's time to get our state's representatives involved in this. We do have some pro-gun senators and assemblymen. I know in Cape May County Senator Jeff Van Drew is pro-gun. Write letters, call them, explain to them that this is unacceptable. Waiting 4-5 months for a permit when some areas are turning them out in just a couple weeks proves that there is some sort of issue going on at the State Police. If it's volume, get them more employees to speed things along. At some point, one must ask, are my 2A rights being infringed upon? I've essentially been denied my right to purchase a handgun for months now.

Never. It's the People's Republik of New Jersey. No one is accountable. It's always someone else's fault. I thank my stars every day that I got re-districted to 23, and I've got DiMaio, Peterson, and Doherty. They even proposed a "streamlined" CCW bill last year, that I'll bet they were laughed at for proposing. But see my statement above: WE SHOULD NOT NEED PERMISSION to exercise a RIGHT, and we should not be restricted from this right by prior restraint. And while I definitely think the State Police are bottlenecks, and they can and will do everything in their power to drag their feet: I suspect on their end it's got less to do with them not actually WANTING to issue permits, but the fact that they (the rank and file--not Ricky Fuentes) hate actually having to do it. It's like anything in life: If you don't feel like doing it, it doesn't affect you, it's not a priority so you procrastinate. If they actually had a Service Level Agreement that their objectives were accountable for, it might have more of an impact. And the fact that they can outsource the printing, and they do have Admin folks (presumably who make considerably less than a Trooper) who handle a lot of the filing and paperwork aspects (I'd argue the same thing for local PD's) there's no reason that any active LE needs to be involved in this--simply give Fuentes the stack of permits to sign once the research is completed. I think the real delays in the process are with the FBI (who also don't prioritize because we're one of the only ones who do this) and the county mental health records. Which again: There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY, and NO service level agreement.

But all of that becomes a moot point if they all could wrap their minds around the process I outlined above. NJ is not inherently different than any other state in the union--to make such an argument would be ludicrous. Every state has it's own rural and urban areas, and every state has its share of criminal element that we're ALL hoping to prevent access to weapons. But to suggest that NJ, who's stuck in 1966 is the epitome of a working process because "they say so" is unacceptable. The only way any of this is going to change is via SCOTUS. Which is why I'm hoping that the anti legislators (and while such is the case in NJ, we saw that it's not just Dems in CT who signed off) have SO FAR overreached, and that there will be SO many circuit court lawsuits that SCOTUS will have no choice but to finally come down with a ruling that must be in our favor. Any other outcome would destroy what little shred of the Constitution we have left.

6 weeks? How long ago was this? You are talking about union 07083?

Btw, just picked up 3 PP's today and it took a measly 65 days to be exact(called me this morning)

Btw, just picked up 3 PP's today and it took a measly 65 days to be exact(called me this morning)

Ugh...this is just making me sick.

Good for you though!

2010 and 2011 my P2Ps took 6 weeks. My most recent was on November 28, 2012 and they were issued Jan 29th. Mine were just P2Ps and my wife applied for FID and P2Ps at sametime, hers were issued Jan 23rd. Go figure

Yup 07083 with Baird.

Regarding Elizabeth... my father called yesterday to find status and they told him "Everything looks good, no issues and no denials. You should be receiving a letter next week".. WTF?! Letter for what, are they ready or not?! Complete BS, it's either been done or they going to do it now and if it's ready then say "come pick it up"

November 28, 2012 and they were issued Jan 29th. Mine were just P2Ps and my wife applied for FID and P2Ps at sametime, hers were issued Jan 23rd. Go figure

Yup 07083 with Baird.

Yup Baird, not the nicest guy in town, but anyways... You got really lucky (unless you got connections) because around the same time, a friend that also lives in union applied and his took just about the same time 60 plus days.

My last application before this one was last summer and that took about 62 days.