Johnk-NJ

How long are pistol purchase permits taking to get?

It really depends so much on the town. I put in for my FID and 4 P2P on January 15th and had them on Feb 11th - only 28 days -- I count myself as one of the very lucky ones. But it just took me 8 days to get my "Instant" NICS back for a handgun purchase.

Is there some max time before they give you a reason what the hold up is? Is there anyone to complain to?

i dont think they will EVER give you a reason for the hold up unless you call to check on it.. calling to check on it might also jar something loose and get it moving.. (as long as you are cordial about it)

Took me almost 2 months in W. Milford. Last time I applied for pistol permits it was within a month.

Now I just hope I can find the pistols I'm looking for lol.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

For everybody who applied at the state police don't read this. Applied 12/19 in Kingwood. They contacted my references 3 weeks ago. My buddy asked the trooper how long until my permits were done. He said should be another week or two. Well called them again today to follow up. The trooper said he is seeing paperwork come in from the end of November so his best guess was another 2 months. Maybe with any luck in 2 months NICS will be instant again. Lol. I can't wait to see what you have to do to get an extension.

Oh Night Prowler you are going to hate me. When I picked up my permits I asked about that, as I said I knew it was impossible even in good times to use four in 90 days. They said they would extend them for the full 180 days right there on the spot. It is good to live in a GOP town :)

One month and a week for P2P. Last time in 09 it took 9 days.

Scott Garrett is my congressman so you know which way the town leans.

I did thank the lady at the PD for the fast service. She is very polite and very fast. I turned in my application at 4pm the next day my rereferencesad them. She said it would have been faster but the State PD and Christie are fighting over staffing .

On a side note it took nine freaking days for my "Instant" background check when I bought the gun.

For everybody who applied at the state police don't read this. Applied 12/19 in Kingwood. They contacted my references 3 weeks ago. My buddy asked the trooper how long until my permits were done. He said should be another week or two. Well called them again today to follow up. The trooper said he is seeing paperwork come in from the end of November so his best guess was another 2 months. Maybe with any luck in 2 months NICS will be instant again. Lol. I can't wait to see what you have to do to get an extension.

Got the same response from the Hamilton state police. I submitted my paperwork for a change of address on my FID back in early December. I called last week and they told me 2 to 3 more months.

Something has to be done to fix this process. Enough is enough is enough is enough already...

This is the most inefficient, wasteful process ever devised by man. I went into my PD yesterday to see where my permits are, ofcourse they are still "pending" what ever that means. I go through this process a lot so I feel like I know the lady in records well. She actually said to me I should just get an FFL to avoid all this crap. I had a good laugh.

I know there have been bills drafted in the past along the lines of creating a pistol purchase card that would be good for 5 years etc. Didn't Sweeney support this idea? There has to be a way to move this legislation. Is there really no way to get this fixed beside moving to PA????

I am on week 7 in Scotch Plains....

My update from Kingwood SP on FPID's and P2P's: wife called this morning to add another P2P to her app since it's taking so long. Cindy Williamson told her that "all her info came back from the firearms investigation unit". Yet, was told it would be another 6 WEEKS before getting permits. I assume I am in the same boat since I submitted the day after. If that is in fact true (which I don't believe anyway) that would put us at 94 days for issuance. I guess it takes 6 weeks for Fuentes to sign his name...

Odd that your reference checks took so long-they did ours within 2 weeks of app submission.

My update from Kingwood SP on FPID's and P2P's: wife called this morning to add another P2P to her app since it's taking so long. Cindy Williamson told her that "all her info came back from the firearms investigation unit". Yet, was told it would be another 6 WEEKS before getting permits. I assume I am in the same boat since I submitted the day after. If that is in fact true (which I don't believe anyway) that would put us at 94 days for issuance. I guess it takes 6 weeks for Fuentes to sign his name...

Odd that your reference checks took so long-they did ours within 2 weeks of app submission.

As sad as this sounds I would have loved a 94 day turn around. I am already well over 100 days with no end in sight!

Something has to be done to fix this process. Enough is enough is enough is enough already...

This is the most inefficient, wasteful process ever devised by man.

There's nothing broken about this process. It's inefficient by design. If you can't ban something outright, restrict it and make it hard as hell to get it.

There's nothing broken about this process. It's inefficient by design. If you can't ban something outright, restrict it and make it hard as hell to get it.

Exactly, couple this with the NICS "waiting period" OGAM, ammo shortages, reloading supply shortages and presto- instant "infringement"