After 6 months of convincing my wife owning a gun does not mean someone is getting murdered, the FID/P2P wait, and the 8 day NICS delay I finally brought home my new to me 1951 Ruger Mark I previously owned by my grandfather. He passed away when I was 3 so this along with a few small items are all I have as a legacy of him.

post-5630-0-83132500-1364350142_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-49598400-1364350169_thumb.jpg

Even have the holster that my grandfather wore!

post-5630-0-00431500-1364350198_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to keep hunting for some ammo!

Hi,

Just came across your post.  I too have a Mark 1, got it in 1971 in Florida.  You can still get mags from Ruger for it but you need to reverse the slide button.  Takes about a minute.  Just one warning.  Taking this apart to clean is pretty easy, reassembly will take some practice.  Download the instructions from Ruger if you don't have them.  

Good luck, its a fine old gun with a lot of history.

How did you find out what year it was made?

This helped me alot...http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/PI-MarkI.html

If yours has a "D" then a serial number, Ruger accidently made some with duplicate numbers (1960's)

So, in a cheap and legal way to get the gun out to the buyer

Ruger added a "D" before the serial number...like mine!!

(This info is not in the above link..)

Between a copy of the manual and a couple youtube videos the reassembly has gotten pretty easy now. The key is definitely to point the barrel up while swinging the main spring back into place. Doing that makes everything very easy.

The only issue I've been having is consistent feed failures no matter what ammo I try in it (Federal Auto Match, Aguila, CCI Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, and Fiocchi plated). I am using a combination of the original mag and 2 MKII mags with the button swapped and I'm not sure if it's a mag, ammo, or gun issue. I'm going to clean it again tomorrow and ensure the feed ramp is completely clean and go from there. If anybody has any suggestions please chime in.

The only issue I've been having is consistent feed failures no matter what ammo I try in it (Federal Auto Match, Aguila, CCI Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, and Fiocchi plated). I am using a combination of the original mag and 2 MKII mags with the button swapped and I'm not sure if it's a mag, ammo, or gun issue. I'm going to clean it again tomorrow and ensure the feed ramp is completely clean and go from there. If anybody has any suggestions please chime in.

Make sure it's not an extraction failure.

On my III the extractor broke off and the sucker still would fire and cycle 2 out of 3.

Make sure it's not an extraction failure.

On my III the extractor broke off and the sucker still would fire and cycle 2 out of 3.

I should have posted an update a while ago.

I gave the gun a better cleaning and noticed there was a small burr at the bottom of the feed ramp. I'm betting that the cable lock that had secured it for years had gotten slammed into the feed ramp by the bolt causing the burr.

I used a very fine file for a few passes to knock off the burr and since then I haven't had any issues. It now feeds everything I put in it.