Old School

5.56 NATO In .223 Rem Big NO NO!

For almost a decade I fired nothing but military "green tip" 5.56mm and some tracers, quite a bit actually, from the "CAL .223" AR I owned. Never once did I have an issue and when cleaning I do look at the parts. Honestly I'm not worried about it and I've never heard of an issue related to that. I have sold MANY 5.56 rounds to civi AR owners and never heard of a problem with them either.

I'm not saying it's not bad for your weapon, but I will say I haven't noticed any extra wear and tear.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The markings and literature mean almost nothing. Some .223 reamers are slightly more generous than some 5.56. Then you have 5.56 Sam-r, and .223 Wylde.

They all overlap. Want to know, buy a box of 5.56, fire a couple and examine the brass. If it has trouble ejecting, splits the case neck, etc. don't do that anymore.

On 3/27/2013 at 10:41 AM, jto966 said:

I have a suggestion or question. Couldn't you just take a 5.56 bullet and see if it will fall through a .223 barrel ?

Seems simple enought to me. Since it's .110 bigger - It's not going to fit and drop out the other end.. right?

5.56 mm = 0.218897637795" 

The 5.56 mm bullet better fall through a .223 barrel since its about 4/1000th smaller! I am not a machinist so I am not sure if that's a significant delta. I think the 0.110" is a linear (horizontal) dimension not a diameter/caliber dimension.

0.223" - 0.218897637795" =  0.00410236"

1 hour ago, dino71 said:

5.56 mm = 0.218897637795" 

The 5.56 mm bullet better fall through a .223 barrel since its about 4/1000th smaller! I am not a machinist so I am not sure if that's a significant delta. I think the 0.110" is a linear (horizontal) dimension not a diameter/caliber dimension.

0.223" - 0.218897637795" =  0.00410236"

No.. dear god no. 

Look man the diameter in a  cartridge name isn't really meaningful without a spec. Some are the size at the lands, some are the size at the grooves, and some are the bullet diameter that gets smashed down somewhat in the shooitng and may not actually really match either the lands or grooves. Some are just a convenient approximation of the above. Ignore the name unless buying boxed ammo, and read the spec. 

For example 9mm parabellum is 9mm right? That's  0.354331 inches. The bullets are .355 whcih is 9.01mm. The saami spec for land diameter is 8.82mm and the groove diameter is 9.02mm. 

So yeah.

23 hours ago, raz-0 said:

No.. dear god no. 

Look man the diameter in a  cartridge name isn't really meaningful without a spec. Some are the size at the lands, some are the size at the grooves, and some are the bullet diameter that gets smashed down somewhat in the shooitng and may not actually really match either the lands or grooves. Some are just a convenient approximation of the above. Ignore the name unless buying boxed ammo, and read the spec. 

For example 9mm parabellum is 9mm right? That's  0.354331 inches. The bullets are .355 whcih is 9.01mm. The saami spec for land diameter is 8.82mm and the groove diameter is 9.02mm. 

So yeah.

Thanks raz-o, there should be a class somewhere to tech this you get really get in the weeds with the numbers. Do you know if there is also a ISO 90001 standard for this topic?

31 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Just a word of advice, if your shopping for an ar15 upper just save your time and money and get a 223 wylde upper. Their plentiful, generally affordable and will save you accuracy headaches with cheap 223 ammo. 

yes. .223 wylde 1 in 8 rifling. This is the way. 

2 hours ago, charleslee said:

So if your AR barrel reads .223/5.56 you would assume you can use both, no? Which one is your barrel chambered for? 

Yes . . . You can use both if both are listed . . .