Maksim

So what do you shave with?

What do you shave with?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What do you shave with?

• Plastic Fantastic - Gillet Fusion/Mach whatever/ or any other disposable thing.
    • The Safety Razor - the 1911 of the shaving world.
    • The Straight Razor - if it holds more than 6 rounds it is too much... or is it more like the Rock of weapons? =P
    • Electric - the 32 acp of the world... not a true shave, but better than nothing. =P
    • I don't shave.... and think beards are cool.

Merkur 180, Gillette 7 o'clock (Russian, yellow box) blades, badger brush (brand escapes me), and alternate between Proraso and Real Shaving Co. cream.

Switched over from Mach 3 a few years ago and never looked back. Once you find the combination that works best for you, it's a superb and low cost (minus the initial investment) shaving experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I used to shave with the gilette fusion.

Then I bought an electric Braun with the automatic cleaning and that's how I shave now.

Only bad thing I found is that since I have to dry shave now I sometimes get razor bumps. But I don't miss having to use use shaving cream and cleaning the razor every few strokes. I have thick facial hear and it's a pain in the neck.

Merkur 34C, Tweezerman brush (considering upgrading), Feather blades, and a variety of shaving creams and aftershaves. No pre-shave oil. Although lately I value sleep more than a good shave, so I use an electric before work, and the real thing on the weekends. Luckily mine grows slowly enough that if I do a real shave, I can get away with every other day, especially since it's horribly uncomfortable if I use a razor every day. When I use the electric though, I feel like I need to use it every 15 minutes to remove the 5 o'clock shadow, it never really gets a good shave.

BTW, for anyone interested in getting into safety razors or straight razors, Badgerandblade.com has a TON of good information, and I tend to order my stuff from westcoastshaving.com when possible. They don't carry everything, but they have a lot. Be careful though. I've found it to be just like firearms. Once you start buying, it's hard to stop. I have no less than 6 nearly full containers of shaving cream and even more aftershave, and I'm currently filling a cart at westcoast to order more. Luckily I have a separate medicine cabinet from my wife, so she doesn't notice.

And to answer the question of what I used before, I switched from the disposables. They never really gave me a good shave, barely better than electric, but with a lot of irritation. Now I pay $0.25 or less per blade that lasts 2-4 shaves, compared to the Mach 3 cartridge that costs what? About $3-4 a piece for the same number of shaves? It takes a little longer, but gives a much better result.

And I've never tried pre-shave oil. I may have to give a shot, see if it makes a difference.

I just got an email from Art of Shaving.... the shaving store for snobs. lol. Personally, I can't leave the house without shaving, and last year, can count on one hand the number of days I did not shave... 3. That was during USPSA Mid Atlantic Sectional when my skin got sunburned and it would hurt to shave, so skipped it for 2 days.

Currently using the Gillette Fusion.... but thinking of switching to a safety razor, or a straight razor...

What do you shave with?

I went semi-old school with a safety razor...the thing is, when it comes to wet shaving, you HAVE to bracket time for it..if you're in a hurry, stick with the Plastic Fantastic Route. Prep is the key..Pre-shave oil and a hot towel (or shower first) to open the pores and soften the hair, Good, quality cream or soap lather and Brush on, then shave once with the grain, rinsing between each stroke, and swapping sides. Then, Re-oil, re-lather and repeat against the grain. it usually takes me about 15-20 min to do it right, whereas in a rush, i could shave in about 2 min in the shower with a multi-blade razor. Also, if you have a beard, spend a little coin and get beard-specific wash and conditioner..I tried just using regular hair shampoo and Cond on mine and it really screwed up my skin. I buy pretty much all of my stuff from ClassicShaving.com beard wash and conditier i use are from Bluebeard, and i use Merkur blades in my razors. Straight is a nice concept, but they take a LOT of care and prep, and to do it right you REALLY need to have a razor for each day, or you'll be spending more time sending it out to be sharpened, than shaving with it. Badgerandblade.com has scads of info on all types.

I used to use the mach 3 turbo but got tired of spending $$$ on razors. Now I spend 3bucks a month for the same thing as I've joined the dollar shave club...

If you use those type of razors you need to switch. Check it out https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/536j/648E1B2F72E5AF/s/e/cx/1/

I've tried them all and have liked the fusion the best. I found the straight razor to take too much time to shave.

Lately I have been doing 3-4 days between shaving because I'm lazy but in he summering need to shave every other day at the latest.

I use the blades from Dollar Shave Club.

For a flat $6 a month, they ship me 4 brand new cartridges with four blades on each. Beats the heck out of any store bought razors I've used. Plus - I never have to go get them, shipped automatically every month. They also have other plans for razors with more or less blades.

For a flat $6 a month, they ship me 4 brand new cartridges with four blades on each. Beats the heck out of any store bought razors I've used. Plus - I never have to go get them, shipped automatically every month. They also have other plans for razors with more or less blades.

I don't get it. I get a bag of 8 3-blade disposables for $7.5-$9. How is what you are doing cheaper? Because I would consider it if it is cheaper. Thanks.

Whatever's on sale at Costco. I have girly facial hair, so I just swipe it across my face a few times in the shower, and I'm done. One razor lasts me many weeks.

I have a Dovo straight razor but can't get a close enough shave with it. I strop with compound about 20 times and have tried both immediately after and 24 hours after stropping, but still not as smooth as the cheapo razor.

The safety razor sounds interesting, and they aren't too expensive on Amazon. Any recommendations on which of the many Merkur models are the best?

Does it strike anyone as strange that there is a significant overlap between gun enthusiasts and old school shavers? Maybe we were all born in the wrong century.

I don't get it. I get a bag of 8 3-blade disposables for $7.5-$9. How is what you are doing cheaper? Because I would consider it if it is cheaper. Thanks.

If you feel like being cheap, I really recommend a safety razor. Minus the initial cost of the razor itself, blades are crazy cheap and probably better than whatever you're using now. My razor ran me about $30 iirc.

I think Maks asked why so many people use the things, I use mine because it gives me a better shave and is cheap. Mach3 blades are too damn expensive. I also don't bother with brushes and crap. I just use generic canned shaving cream.

I never used Dollar Shave Club, and I like their videos, but if you do a Google search, you will see they get their products from dorcousa.com while marking them up of course. but if the convenience is cool for you

You should never let it get rusty. Keep it sharp and clean and always use it right after you cut the lawn for that great chlorophyl smell and feeling of freshness.

And don't forget to feed your lawn. Feed It!!!

Rusty lawn mower blade.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Whatever's on sale at Costco. I have girly facial hair, so I just swipe it across my face a few times in the shower, and I'm done. One razor lasts me many weeks.

I have a Dovo straight razor but can't get a close enough shave with it. I strop with compound about 20 times and have tried both immediately after and 24 hours after stropping, but still not as smooth as the cheapo razor.

The safety razor sounds interesting, and they aren't too expensive on Amazon. Any recommendations on which of the many Merkur models are the best?

Does it strike anyone as strange that there is a significant overlap between gun enthusiasts and old school shavers? Maybe we were all born in the wrong century.

From what I've seen the quality is great whether it's one of the less expensive ones, or the top-line. Right now i;ve got an old Gillette that was my Dad's, as well as a parker Classic ($27 at Classic Shaving) that serves me pretty well. personal preference for me is the Twist-open DE razor, rather than the 2-piece, just because its easier to change blades.