Maksim

So what do you shave with?

What do you shave with?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What do you shave with?

• Plastic Fantastic - Gillet Fusion/Mach whatever/ or any other disposable thing.
    • The Safety Razor - the 1911 of the shaving world.
    • The Straight Razor - if it holds more than 6 rounds it is too much... or is it more like the Rock of weapons? =P
    • Electric - the 32 acp of the world... not a true shave, but better than nothing. =P
    • I don't shave.... and think beards are cool.

Gillette Fusion for the face daily and then the same to buff up the dome a few times a week. I never used a brush and just smear shaving cream on my face with my hand but if there's something to it, I'll take a crack at a brush??? This brush thing has sparked my curiosity! Is there any real value or benefit to using a brush?

Pre-shave - apricot scrub. (yeah, go ahead and call me "Bateman" - AmericanPsycho-PeelOffMasque.jpg)

If I'm not pressed for time - merkur safety razor with astra blades, badger brush and regular shaving gel.

If I've only got two minutes to shave - gillette mach something - the four bladed one.

Always in the shower, unless shower isn't available.

I can't use electrics - Every whisker on my face is like a little iron filing when it's dry, and electrics tug them, make them hurt and give me ingrown hairs.

Gillette Fusion for the face daily and then the same to buff up the dome a few times a week. I never used a brush and just smear shaving cream on my face with my hand but if there's something to it, I'll take a crack at a brush??? This brush thing has sparked my curiosity! Is there any real value or benefit to using a brush?

it exfoliates your skin and gets the hair up to be more easily shaved.

You can go to Art of shaving store, and get the $25 trial kit that includes a small brush, oil, shaving cream and lotion. If you like it, there is also a coupon for $25 off inside, for a full size kit.

It lasted me a month... well worth it.

Shave in the shower-- nothing beats the steam. I shave my face and head every day using Gillette ultra super mega pro(people get paid to shave?) with 5 blades and the trim one on the back. Have a brush and soap, but in my book nothing beats Nivea shave foam. Stuff is magical. And it isn't a big production. Touch up corner of mouth and under nose with wet-dry norelco that squirts goo also from Nivea.

Smuuf.

mach 3 and a badger brush using burma shave soap,my last cake and I cant find it anymore.anybody using a brush and soap have one you like?

I use the L'Occatine, it works very well for me and is about $10 for the cake. It also lasts at least 9 months shaving 3-4 times a week.

I use both a strait razor (dovo) and a safety razor (merkur) w/ feather platinum blades. The safety razor affords me a good shave in normal time. No nicks, etc. now with a straight razor I take my sweet ass time on a Sunday while listening to some music and enjoy it. Have to be very careful though. Easy as hell to cut myself. It's expensive at first for some good steel a strop and a nice sharpening stone but you have a kit for life if you really enjoy it. Now I use a regular brush and some regular Williams shaving soap. It's not fancy but it leaves my face smooth and clean, has a good lather too! To cool the face off I use a Clinique after shave.

Now that I'm working at a job that requires no beards, I'm using my straight razor and a twin blade plastic for when I do my head. Badger brush and I don't remember soap brand for all shaves. I'm not asian but my hair takes a few days to show enough, so I only really need to do it twice a week. :)

I don't shave.... and think beards are cool.

Correction, I know beards are cool.

Only 9 votes for I don't shave...kinda sad I thought there were more men on this forum.

it exfoliates your skin and gets the hair up to be more easily shaved.

You can go to Art of shaving store, and get the $25 trial kit that includes a small brush, oil, shaving cream and lotion. If you like it, there is also a coupon for $25 off inside, for a full size kit.

It lasted me a month... well worth it.

Now i gotta try it next time in Freehold Maks...do you get a razor in that trial kit?

I don't shave since I have a bears but for those in north nj that want a treat. Instead of art of shaving support a local shop. I've been there a few times but no affiliation. Virile in waldwick. I get a haircut there on occasion. They have vintage hot shaving cream foamers and shave straight edge. Hot towel. All that.

I used to use disposables, even the mach-whatevers + shave gel and was perfectly happy... that is, until I went on a friend's advice and bought a merkur safety razor, good blades, soap, and a brush. Now a brand new disposable razor feels like my safety razor with a two-week old blade. Not to mention new blades, even good ones, are dirt cheap compared to buying those ridiculous multi-blade disposable cartridges. My shaves are comfortable, enjoyable, and relaxing now.

I think the bare minimum is a good brush (not from wally-world) and some decent soap and a mug. It makes a difference. Then ask for a merkur razor and blade variety-pack for xmas or your birthday.

Correction, I know beards are cool.

Only 9 votes for I don't shave...kinda sad I thought there were more men on this forum.

I'd love to grow a beard, but mine comes in patchy as all hell. Meanwhile my brother who is four years younger than me looks like he's part werewolf. :(

Weber stainless steel safety razor

Feather or Wilkinson Sword blades

Semogue boar bristle brush

Provence Sante Verlaine, or Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn, or Razorock Artisan shaving soaps

Thayer organic witch hazel

Musgo Real Aftershave Balsam, or Taconic Aftershave Balm

I am actually surprised there are so many folks here using safety razors.

For those that are....

Did you switch to it from a disposable razor. (gillette fusion, etc)?

or

That is what you have been using for the past 20 years?

Just switched about a month ago from electric to safety razor / wet shaving. Was on a recommendation from a friend. Skin feels better, and its actually fun to shave now instead of it being a chore. Previously I've been using an electric for about 18 years.

Shave? I shoot the whiskers off of my face. :) I have been using an electric razor for about 40 year or whenever they were invented. I do not have a heavy beard and went through Vietnam without shaving. :) I think my whiskers started growing in when I was about 21 or so and that is when I started shaving. By then my wife had more shaving experience than I had and gave me pointers. :)