peterk2000

Painting the dot on front site

My main gun is an M&P9. The paint on the front sight white dot is either fading or is chipped off. I'd like to repaint the dot. Can anyone offer me any tips? Type of paint, brush, other info?

I thought about replacing with news sights. The current sights are spot-on accurate - I'd hate to change them out and have to zero a new set.

Thanks, Peter

They actually sell stuff for that. In fact, I just found a tube buried deep in one of my drawers. Have too find it again and see what be brand name is.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I just bought a package of 3 acrylic paint pens at my local craft shop in white, bright yellow and orange. That is what I use. They have a Sharpie marker pointed tip making it very easy to re-paint a dot or pain the front ramp on a revolver. Remember to first clean the area with alcohol first.

This might be a little late to the party... but check here: http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11

Their powders (which I mix with epoxy for things like knife scale inserts, beads, etc.) are awesome and their paints are arguably the best.

The v10 green glows bright and lasts for hours on a quick charge from the sun, flashlight , etc. Sure it's not the cheapest paint, but you really get what you pay for.

Does't seem that expensive and mixing it with epoxy is a great idea... I like it!

This might be a little late to the party... but check here: http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11

Their powders (which I mix with epoxy for things like knife scale inserts, beads, etc.) are awesome and their paints are arguably the best.

The v10 green glows bright and lasts for hours on a quick charge from the sun, flashlight , etc. Sure it's not the cheapest paint, but you really get what you pay for.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Your best bet is to replace the front sight, in the long run paint gets dirty, falls off, etc. If you want a front sight with a dot get one with a tritium vial or one with a fiberoptic pipe. Painted on dots are the first thing to always leave my guns, it is the first thing I replace on most handguns.

Does't seem that expensive and mixing it with epoxy is a great idea... I like it!

The powder does go a long way... I ordered an ounce over a year ago, made a bunch of beads and scale inserts and have a little bit left.

Tip: If you mix it with epoxy... it's good to be a little heavy handed adding the powder. The more powder, the better and brighter. But, with more powder and less epoxy... it's a little less durable. (it chips easier, etc.)

Hmmmm, thanks for the tip...

The powder does go a long way... I ordered an ounce over a year ago, made a bunch of beads and scale inserts and have a little bit left.

Tip: If you mix it with epoxy... it's good to be a little heavy handed adding the powder. The more powder, the better and brighter. But, with more powder and less epoxy... it's a little less durable. (it chips easier, etc.)

Typos courtesy Apple...

Just thought of something else we did years ago before sights were easier to swap out. If you had a decent size front blade, we use to grind out with a cutting wheel, an angled notch about a quarter inch wide or so... Then we'd mix a fluorescent type plastic or in this case, some epoxy to a heavy jell and push it into the slot. Once dried, file it down. Actually looked professional. Hard to explain it. I'd have to draw it.

Typos courtesy Apple...

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down... you carefully file a V or something into the blade and fill it back to it's original shape. I've used similar techniques for adding glow inserts in G10 knife scales. Notching/carving and filling or drilling and filling...

That's a good idea. If I can find that spare front post I have for my AR I just might have to try it.

I'm thinking the easiest way not is a cutting wheel on a dremel. Easier to control.

You don't want a V though. It will come out. I need to draw the right way...

Easiest way to describe what I mean I guess is take a triangle and cut he top half off.. It will leave like a reverse notch.

Typos courtesy Apple...

thanks i was curious about his as well!

i just got a ruger sr9c and put about 300 rounds through it last night and that pistol is AWESOME!!!

my only gripe is the sights, although accurate they make my eyes blurry and sight picture is hard to pick up, if thats the correct term..

with out high jacking the OP post would the paint help quicker sight pictures??