MPA

Input on Ruger 10/22

Fun and cheep to shoot. I haven't had any issues with it and eats everything I feed it, which is mostly CCI. As for accessories some people get the GI sights for it and change the stock to an M1 look a like.

I have a Savage Mark II that would look very nice with a set of Tech Sights. Has anyone bought a set for the Savage?

I didn't go the 10/22 route, but instead have 2 bolt actions, a lovely Marlin 980s (before quality fell apart under new ownership and they moved the factory) and a lefty Savage Mark II for the left eye dominant member of my family. For Semi-auto, I have a S&W MP15-22 that i also enjoy a lot. For the cost though a 10/22 with GI/Battle style sights would more than suffice!

I went bolt action as a basis because I take a lot of newbies, especially teens to the range for first time firearms experiences. A bolt action is easy, relatively safe and controllable and gets the kids understanding the full cycle of shooting. Once they are proficient, I let them spew a bunch of lead with the 15-22!

If you only want/afford one .22 rifle you will definitely be very happy with any 10/22.

Throw in a volquartsen exact edge extractor (cheap), disassemble the mags and clean up the flashing and tension the spring properly (free), and depending on your gun, applying a little tlc to where the mags lock up (also free), and you will have one of the most reliable .22s on the market. The factory stamped extractor can vary greatly form sample to sample. Same with the setup of the mags.

There are more 10-22's out there than any other .22 rifle made. Nothing bad about it at all. My problem is that I do not enjoy shooting .22's. There is no recoil and for me half the fun of shooting is the big blast, bang and recoil. I owned one when I lived in NJ and used it for some shooting matches that allowed a .22 to save money as I was shooting competitions every Saturday and Sunday. That gets expensive. I had bought the new 10-22 takedown when it first came out but sold it without ever shooting it. When I have a new firearm and have no desire to run right out and shoot it, it is not a gun I want to keep and sadly that was the way it was with the rifle. I shoot for stress relief and a .22 does not do much for me. Now a 3.3" XDs .45 and .357 revolvers are stress relievers. In NJ my favorite long gun to shoot was not my AR, which I seldom shot for the same reason I do not enjoy a .22. It was a 7mm magnum. When I shot it guys would come over from the other side of the range to see what was making all that noise. :)

If you like a .22 you cannot do better than the 10-22.

I am definitely getting some kind of .22 rifle for the range. The 10/22 was highly recommended by most and I was considering the Ruger takedown but I also was considering a bolt action but know nothing about them. Any suggestions?