MPA

Anybody using Mossberg 500 for Home Prot

If you are worried about price you can check into the Mossberg Maverick 88, they can be had for around $220, less when on sale. They are basically a 500 but with parts made in Mexico. They accept all parts that fit a 500 also, so you can get a longer rifled 500 barrel for it.

As far as for home defense, its good for the safe room, i.e. you have the door locked and are "cornered", if someone dares come into the room, god bless 'em.

Anyone have thoughts on the 500 persuader? I found one semi locally for 450 plus normal taxes and fees. Worth the coin or pass?

This will be mine first SG

I'm cross dominate with a stronger right hand but left eye dominant. Do I need a left handled version or will a mounted optic help solve the problem?

Unless you're planning to shoot clays or game, being cross eyed dominant should have little bearing on a gun being used for home defence. IMO You can also try to train your brain to shoot with your right eye by placing tape on the left lenz of your shooting glasses. You can also do this with dry fire practice and eventually you should be able to shoot right eye dominant.

I shoot sporting clays a couple times a year at Lehigh Valley and they specifically do not allow shotguns with pistol grips, but I'm not sure about the heat shield and side saddle. None of that should make any difference for just shooting clays out in some field.

Personally I would go with the Maverick 88 and buy an extra barrel for home defense and buy the aftermarket add-ons. Besides the extra barrel the 88 will be cheaper. You can buy the heatshield on Ebay for about $20 and the Breacher barrel for about $200. I found a turkey barrel for $135 and a breacher choke for $50 on ebay. The Maverick goes for about $250, and for about $205 more you can have a spare barrel set up for self defense that can also be used for turkey hunting.

My point is if you shop around you might be able to get more for around the same money. As the commercial says; isn't it better to get more, more is better. We want more! We want more!

If you are worried about price you can check into the Mossberg Maverick 88, they can be had for around $220, less when on sale. They are basically a 500 but with parts made in Mexico. They accept all parts that fit a 500 also, so you can get a longer rifled 500 barrel for it.

As far as for home defense, its good for the safe room, i.e. you have the door locked and are "cornered", if someone dares come into the room, god bless 'em.

I don't think the Maverick has the safety in the same location as the 500. The 500 is nice because of the safety on the tang. Also, there are more barrels and spare parts out there for the 500 than the 590 which might be of interest. I'd get a 500 and spend the extra money than on the Maverick. As was mentioned, the field/security combo is a great deal.

Another nice gun would be to get your hands on an older Ithaca Model 37. The new Ithacas defensive shotguns look pretty sweet as well. The old Stevens M77 that were used in Vietnam are also quite rugged and work horses. And, you cannot beat an older Remington 870 Wingmaster if you can find one.

The Mossberg 500 Persuader is a nice gun. In particular, I like the marine finish tactical one.

Your right about the safety on the Maverick, it is located on the side of the trigger guard, much like the 870 and the Ithica. The barrels for the Maverick and the Mossberg are interchangable, also spare barrels for Mossbergs are cheaper than Remingtons or Ithicas.