bhunted

Foscam Security Cams and setup...

OK, rather than answer multiple emails asking me about the FOSCAM, I decided to just start a thread for Q&A...

I know these are not the best cams, but when it comes to wireless IP cams that have PTZ and Outdoor cameras, they fit the bill to have at least some sort of security cam at your locations... I have 8 of these cams and they have served me well for years...

If you want a serious IP webcam, there are others out there like Toshiba, Panasonic, etc... But these cams will run you quite a bit of cash for just one unit.

There are also Bullet Cams, sometimes also called Lipstick Cams. They are hardwired which can be a pain for some folks. Especially for folks that have older homes... I use a bullet cam that has lasted for years for my weather hobby... You can see that here....this is a live feed. It updates at short intervals...

wxwpcam_00001.jpg

These are very reasonably priced cams and this one has lasted for over 10 years.

Here is a few tips to the questions I've been getting in PMs..

First, they do not actually record live stream the way a camcorder records video. They record snapshot and mjpeg in which they create streams. In other words, you tell it how many frames you'd like to capture per minute and when and where to put the file and it will create snapshots or streaming movies. The FOSCAM have everything built in, including a web server which gives it the ability to require no constant hard wiring to a computer...

However, they give you both options... you can hard wire it via lan cable, (which is required for initial setup), or go wireless. Which obviously means you need wifi in your home.

As far as I know, all the FOSCAM lines have these abilities. They just released an HD level cam which is more expensive, but you really don't need it as they are a tad more expensive.

Here is the link to their products..

http://foscam.us/products.html

To answer the first question about recording... You have 2 choices. Use a software like BlueIris... It's a very robust software and you can't beat it for the buck. In fact, if you get on their mailing list, you'll get emails when they have sales. They also offer it as a bundle too. It goes for $45 http://foscam.us/blue-iris.html

I use BlueIris if I plan on being away for more than a day but otherwise, all my cams are on auto-pilots with their own schedules using their internal web servers without BlueIris.

If you just use the camera, you have to set the ftp section, the alarm section and the email section if you want to receive alarm emails. You also must use the internal scheduling to tell it when.

Here are a few snap shots of the settings...

post-5135-0-56758500-1364470331_thumb.jpg

Here is the FTP settings... you must set your upload folder destination. You must add a folder to a drive and share it... then add the folder name in the appropiate box. You MUST save the config to test it.

post-5135-0-60010700-1364470343_thumb.jpg

This is where you set the motions and such. If you don't tick the box for motion, upload and schedule, you will not see the whole setting menu for it.

post-5135-0-25706500-1364470354_thumb.jpg

This is a snapshot of the IE Browser interface. IE dependent for streaming... Notice the little icons on the bottom. These cams have 2 way audio and a record button.

Please ask me any other questions here... It's easier than answering multiple pms and emails.. Hope this gets you started.

Ahh, think I found my problem - was using firefox for the management screen. So you have to use IE in order to get at settings for recording video, and I assume you have to leave IE running for the video to record?

Which goes to my point - the camera, by itself, can't record video. You have to have some external software running, either IE or Blue Iris.

Under the ftp section you can tell it to upload with a schedule. So you do not need software persay.

Ahh, think I found my problem - was using firefox for the management screen. So you have to use IE in order to get at settings for recording video, and I assume you have to leave IE running for the video to record?

Which goes to my point - the camera, by itself, can't record video. You have to have some external software running, either IE or Blue Iris.

To add to the conversation on IP cameras and recording/managing them...

Many of the top players in home/office NAS appliances include apps that allow them to act as recording/central management for multiple IP cameras. I have a Synology NAS, and it comes with a NVR (Network Video Recorder) app. It allows you to cobble together all sorts of makes and models of IP cameras into a pro-grade surveillance system. It is free for one camera, and there is a charge for adding additional ones. Details here : http://www.synology.com/surveillance/index.php?lang=us

The nice thing about doing this in a NAS appliance is that it is always on, does a ton of other stuff for you, and takes way less power then leaving a PC on all the time. They are also much more cost efficient then building a purpose built PC for NVR/DVR duties.

how is the quality? i'd tried the x-10 wireless cameras at my shop a few years ago. i thought they were good, till someone i knew happened to be walking past a camera as i was passing the monitor. i couldn't id them on that camera. and this was someone i KNEW. i took em down at that point.

Not bad... here are 2 shots of a small bedroom/office I setup for my wife when she works form home..Day and Night... (they do have night vision to a certain distance).

post-5135-0-67276100-1364476164_thumb.jpg

post-5135-0-03477600-1364476177_thumb.jpg

Here is a night backyard shot with one of their outdoor cams.. not the best but I also have motion floods that light up when needed that enhance the clarity.

post-5135-0-20161200-1364476393_thumb.jpg

Note: Tapatalk won't show these for some reason... Use the web to view.

how is the quality? i'd tried the x-10 wireless cameras at my shop a few years ago. i thought they were good, till someone i knew happened to be walking past a camera as i was passing the monitor. i couldn't id them on that camera. and this was someone i KNEW. i took em down at that point.

These things are great for the price. I have an 8910 unit and it works very well. I use the program called Livecams Pro ($1.99) on my iPhone that let's me monitor the camera(s) from anywhere in the world. For DVR capabilities I use this: http://www.h264soft.com/

I originally got this cam because I had a dog that was on her way out that way doing her business in the house and my concern was that the two younger dogs were learning for her. Thus I got the cam and set it to record on motion in the area we were having the problems. I got to see it was only her and the others were not picking up on her bad situation.

I use Livepro too... Also the FOSCAM software for IPhones/Ipads. Works very well.

Sorry to hear about the pooch...

These things are great for the price. I have an 8910 unit and it works very well. I use the program called Livecams Pro ($1.99) on my iPhone that let's me monitor the camera(s) from anywhere in the world. For DVR capabilities I use this: http://www.h264soft.com/

I originally got this cam because I had a dog that was on her way out that way doing her business in the house and my concern was that the two younger dogs were learning for her. Thus I got the cam and set it to record on motion in the area we were having the problems. I got to see it was only her and the others were not picking up on her bad situation.

I use an aposonic system(wireline install- yes it took me a whole weekend to do) that has port forwarding (secured) setup with a 1TB dvr. On going full time recording at 30fps and holds about two weeks rolling. Works great and the night time vision is pretty impressive.

B06F608C-DF63-418C-BFB4-FD458C9CFA1D-658-000000CB3FD32E34_zps41611cc9.jpg

If you need ftp software, I use Filezilla... works fine and it's free.

Great info! Thanks for this..

What software do you use to setup a home FTP server?

Keep in mind, we are not talking hardwired. These are IP PTZ Wireless cameras... No need for expensive hardware.... Also, please keep this thread FOSCAM related. I set it up to answer people's questions regarding FOSCAM and their options...

I use an aposonic system(wireline install- yes it took me a whole weekend to do) that has port forwarding (secured) setup with a 1TB dvr. On going full time recording at 30fps and holds about two weeks rolling. Works great and the night time vision is pretty impressive.

Keep in mind, we are not talking hardwired. These are IP PTZ Wireless cameras... No need for expensive hardware.... Also, please keep this thread FOSCAM related. I set it up to answer people's questions regarding FOSCAM and their options...

Sorry! Just felt it related because I use bullet cams. Not wireless though but considering it for the coming nursery. The bullet cams do a great job though.

No prob.... ;)

Sorry! Just felt it related because I use bullet cams. Not wireless though but considering it for the coming nursery. The bullet cams do a great job though.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Under the ftp section you can tell it to upload with a schedule. So you do not need software persay.

But FTP uploads are still images only, right? So if you want to record *VIDEO* you need something running outside of the camera to record video? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Yes, software is the easiest way. I believe if you go to he BlueIris site, you can download a trial... Or if you leave your browser open and hit the record button.

I prefer snapshots though in most cases. Software will record as movies...

I haven't had a chance to screw with the internal webserver of the newer cams. I have a couple, just haven't looked at them yet.

Typos courtesy Apple...

IF you are really going to get intricate with these cams, you really should use software.

I can't emphasize how robust BlueIris is for the price. It's packed with neat features... All the years of using any type of webcam, I've always used software as an interface.

As it stands now, I have a separate hard drive in one of my computers that is dedicated to the cams. Every cam has it's own folder... Experiment....

If you decide to go nuts and add a bunch of cams, software is the way to go.

Just a side note.... A lot of wireless cams take bandwidth and will start drawing down your wireless bandwidth for any other wifi devices. If it creates connectivity issues, you'd need to tweak your QOS settings in your wifi router.. Once I started getting more than 4-5 cams, I had to prioritize the QOS...

Typos courtesy Apple...

Just ordered a foscam 8910 from amazon. Will get it tomorrow thanks to Prime. =]

If I'm setting up just this one camera for now, would you recommend Blue iris? Or try one of the freewares first?

Will let you know how it goes!

The Foscam 8910s are also good to use as video baby monitors (in addition to the standard movement/audio baby monitor). We've done this so I can see the little one when I am in the office. We went this route as it allows us to use the 8910s as security cameras as well when we are away and/or the little one is a bit older. The setup is pretty painless with the only real annoyance being the cameras having to reboot when you change a setting, and in order to set them up you need to change 5-10 settings.

The have been some groupon and amazon sales on the 8910 in the last 3 weeks which has made them available for about $65 instead of the normal ~$85. At that price they are a bargain!

It's worth checking you have the latest firmware and webui - you can obtain these from here: http://foscam.com/down3.aspx however make sure you check whether your current firmware is a 11.22.x.x or 11.37.x.x and update with the latest of that type.

In terms of viewing the picture - you can get free apps and paid apps for the iphone/ipad/android as well as watch in your web browser. It is worth trying the free apps. For viewing outside of your home wi-fi you'll need to set up port forwarding on your router and I'd also suggest using a dynamic dns such as "no-ip" if you don't have a fixed WAN IP address.

The only real downside of the 8910 is that it uses a fair bit of bandwidth so if you are not on an unlimited data plan for cellular be careful, and if you are also keep an eye on it. If you are looking to remote view on a frequent basis then consider the H264 cameras as these use less bandwidth. Foscam have fairly recently launched the 9821 which is similar to the 8910 but has H264. There were very poor reviews of it when it first launched however has recently had two new firmware releases which solve many of the initial bugs. You can read more about it on the Foscam forum.

And remember to use appropriate security if the camera is connect via WiFi instead of ethernet otherwise you may find someone watching you :-)

hth

TheWombat

WOW! Oh Great another thing to get into and research but this looks like a really awesome and informative thread so I am subscribing and thanks to the OP.

I'm not really ready to jump into this yet but it's good to know I have a starting point, and I really like the baby monitor idea. Question for all you you who are using this product and are familiar with the setups: Can you have this stuff professionally installed and setup? And will it cost a pretty penny if you purchase the equipment but have an installer do it? Reason I ask is because I read here things mentioned like QOS, port forwarding, and controlling your wifi bandwidth all of which I have NO technical knowledge of and I am lucky that I was able to set up my Netgear N750 router, but I never touch the advanced settings because I dont know jack about them.

I'm not real confident I could set this up myself.

Could someone post a picture of how the cameras are mounted? I get they are wireless so no hardwiring and cutting into walls, just curious how the mounting options were chosen and what it looks like. I assume the cameras are easily recognizable and in plain sight?

Great thread, looking forward to reading and learning more!

Edit: Oh and Wombat, what do you mean by "use the appropriate security"? Is that like saying WPA2/PSK with a strong wifi password or something?

You are correct. I had one of the H264 models and the sucked. In fact, I believe they released them way too early. They had only half the functions of their predecessors. You couldn't even multicam with them.

As for bandwidth, in wifi, is why I mentioned QOS if needed. I have 8 cams, wifi TV, wifi dvd, a wifi laptop, 4 Apple wifi devices, all pretty much running at the same time and I have no bandwidth probs. Just needed minor tweaks on the router.

The Foscam 8910s are also good to use as video baby monitors (in addition to the standard movement/audio baby monitor). We've done this so I can see the little one when I am in the office. We went this route as it allows us to use the 8910s as security cameras as well when we are away and/or the little one is a bit older. The setup is pretty painless with the only real annoyance being the cameras having to reboot when you change a setting, and in order to set them up you need to change 5-10 settings.

The have been some groupon and amazon sales on the 8910 in the last 3 weeks which has made them available for about $65 instead of the normal ~$85. At that price they are a bargain!

It's worth checking you have the latest firmware and webui - you can obtain these from here: http://foscam.com/down3.aspx however make sure you check whether your current firmware is a 11.22.x.x or 11.37.x.x and update with the latest of that type.

In terms of viewing the picture - you can get free apps and paid apps for the iphone/ipad/android as well as watch in your web browser. It is worth trying the free apps. For viewing outside of your home wi-fi you'll need to set up port forwarding on your router and I'd also suggest using a dynamic dns such as "no-ip" if you don't have a fixed WAN IP address.

The only real downside of the 8910 is that it uses a fair bit of bandwidth so if you are not on an unlimited data plan for cellular be careful, and if you are also keep an eye on it. If you are looking to remote view on a frequent basis then consider the H264 cameras as these use less bandwidth. Foscam have fairly recently launched the 9821 which is similar to the 8910 but has H264. There were very poor reviews of it when it first launched however has recently had two new firmware releases which solve many of the initial bugs. You can read more about it on the Foscam forum.

And remember to use appropriate security if the camera is connect via WiFi instead of ethernet otherwise you may find someone watching you :-)

hth

TheWombat

Typos courtesy Apple...

You're welcome.... Yes, the cams are encrypted security enabled as well as user accounts/passwords. You set wpa or whatever you have along with the cam username and password levels.

There are 3... Admin, Visitor and Guest...

WOW! Oh Great another thing to get into and research but this looks like a really awesome and informative thread so I am subscribing and thanks to the OP.

Edit: Oh and Wombat, what do you mean by "use the appropriate security"? Is that like saying WPA2/PSK with a strong wifi password or something?

Typos courtesy Apple...

Yea, in fact, I thought I posted 3 different shots with one... I know I get CRS sometimes, but I remember uploading the darn things... (Scratching head.... Ouch! Dang splinters)

Edit: Ok, it is post number 8... You'll see a night shot. For some reason, they re not showing in Tapatalk... Whew, thought I was losing it.

have you used the outdoor cams, looking at this one one for the front and one for the back..

Foscam FI8905W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera

Typos courtesy Apple...

Re: setting up port forwarding, dynamic dns etc. This is only needed if you want to view your videos while away from your home. The cameras come with surprisingly good instructions which covers this as well.

You can download the instruction manual here: http://foscam.com/down.aspx

Installing the cameras etc is pretty straight forward and I'd say there isn't a need for professional installation (for indoor use). Foscam US does have a service where they will guide you through the configuration etc remotely for about $39 IIRC. It is listed on their website and available if you buy the camera through them.

TheWombat

Not just about being away. But if you want to have more than one cam (multicam view), they need to be on separate ips and ports. It's just easier... I'm sure you'd want to take advantage of that too.

Re: setting up port forwarding, dynamic dns etc. This is only needed if you want to view your videos while away from your home. The cameras come with surprisingly good instructions which covers this as well.

You can download the instruction manual here: http://foscam.com/down.aspx

Installing the cameras etc is pretty straight forward and I'd say there isn't a need for professional installation (for indoor use). Foscam US does have a service where they will guide you through the configuration etc remotely for about $39 IIRC. It is listed on their website and available if you buy the camera through them.

TheWombat

Typos courtesy Apple...