bhunted

Foscam Security Cams and setup...

so a question i have is how are you powering these cams? i see they have 5v DC power supply, and i know nothing about electrical but i'm having a hard time visualizing how you install these cameras seemlessly?

edit: so i visited the site and read up on the FAQ a little and it looks like they offer power over ethernet (poe) cameras. it would seem to me that this is the way to go since you'd have to try and run a 5v power supply and good luck hiding it.

are you guys running poe?

so a question i have is how are you powering these cams? i see they have 5v DC power supply, and i know nothing about electrical but i'm having a hard time visualizing how you install these cameras seemlessly?

edit: so i visited the site and read up on the FAQ a little and it looks like they offer power over ethernet (poe) cameras. it would seem to me that this is the way to go since you'd have to try and run a 5v power supply and good luck hiding it.

are you guys running poe?

I am running the standard power adaptor that looks like the adaptor on this link: http://foscam.us/products/us-power-supply.html

I haven't tried PoE specific cameras however I have tried PoE in our house and had to return it. Some considerations:

• How successful you are with PoE depends on how your house is wired. I tried a PoE setup for our home network from the 2nd floor to the ground floor (after having tried wifi) and couldn't get a consistent and good enough connection. note: this was for my home network to a HTPC. I found that I could get quite different results depending what socket I plugged into. Also unless you are in a standalone house you need to ensure your PoE signal doesn't get outside of your house if there is a shared electrical supply.
  • For the standard camera like the 8910 you connect to the network via WiFi so the only cable is the power lead which is thin, is easy to extend with the 10ft Foscam extender ( http://foscam.us/products/black-extension.html )
  • For PoE the cables are thicker and unless you are somewhere where there is no or very weak WiFi signal I'm not sure that PoE is really going to give you much benefit over WiFi. You still need to be somewhat near a power socket in order to plug in.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks Wombat. I'd really like it if someone could post some pictures of the actual camera and the place you have it installed so I can see how you ran your power cables. I'd really like to avoid having a black cord running up and down my walls ya know?

I'm seeing this endeavor as getting pretty expensive. Sounds like just purchasing the cams isn't just as plug-n-play as I had though.

Really? What's so amusing? Been using these for years. They work! They may not be the best, but they are better than nothing and well affordable and easy for anyone to install. So before you say there are other alternatives which we all know how you feel about cameras, this is just an information thread... ;)

:popcorn:

I knew this would make you edgy Nick...

I'm sorry, but these are a little more than just looking at my deck. With software, proper settings, location, etc... They work. As was said, there is nothing better than a good hardwired system with dvr... But at the low end of the spectrum, these work fine. My length of time I'm using them and their consistency to perform for me prove that.

Nick is right somewhat, but this is NOT what I want this thread to become. A discussion of what is better. It's an information thread about a specific product. Please do not turn it into something other than that. A few asked me about them, so I took the time to start this thread.

However, feel free to start up a security cam thread separately... :)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Can you go back to march 3rd at 2:03 pm to see what was happening in your CCTV system...? Can you go back to yesterday during the same time period? If not what is the point of it.

did not realize that thought i could record photos on a timeline or record.

Can these cameras be hooked to a DVR to record ?

I actually have a DVR new in box never purchased the cams.

It's not about you not saying anything and your expertise is welcome. But only about these cams. You know damn well threads get thrown off topic all the time. I spent my time to try compile my info and experience with these cams after a few asked me about them.

I do not want to turn this into a sales pitch for other products.

I do not wish this to be a Foscam bashing thread.

I do not want any "my system out ranks yours", etc.

I do want it to stay on point. So if anyone has experience with these or their technology, feel free to chime in. Otherwise...

Typos courtesy Apple...

Yes to all these questions, except direct hookup to a DVR... Realize this... A DVR is not that much different than a computer. They both use hard drives for storage. In my case, 750 meg hard drive.

Can you go back to march 3rd at 2:03 pm to see what was happening in your CCTV system...? Can you go back to yesterday during the same time period? If not what is the point of it.

did not realize that thought i could record photos on a timeline or record.

Can these cameras be hooked to a DVR to record ?

I actually have a DVR new in box never purchased the cams.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Should have downloaded the trial first. I believe in try before you if possible. What I like, others may not. Just take your time with it. It has tons of options and settings.

Ok cool, i did purchase the iris blue. i was just thinking i also had an external hard drive for back up but i lost it in the flood..

Typos courtesy Apple...

If you know how, partition it for about 500-750 megs or so. Make all settings point to that hard drive. Set up separate folders for each cam...

Ok cool, i did purchase the iris blue. i was just thinking i also had an external hard drive for back up but i lost it in the flood..

Edit : my hard drive is 2tb 1.81 available

Typos courtesy Apple...

By all means... I have no problem with that.

Also, not trying to make it a security system. Never said it was. I have a hard wired security system for that. (Don't forget, I was in all aspects of the industry for over 20 years before I got laid off. Even longer in electronic technology...).

But again, it's better than nothing if people cannot afford more. I do not recommend it as a first line of defense though.

:)

As I said, just trying to help people with he cam that asked me.

Look, when I see something that is wrong I am going to point it out....I am NOT sales pitching anything........ :)

When someone says something incorrect, it needs to be corrected...just if and when (and I do) says things that might be wrong...

Sorry...if you think I am slamming this....

Do not try to make a webcam a security system.

Typos courtesy Apple...

I use Livepro too... Also the FOSCAM software for IPhones/Ipads. Works very well.

Sorry to hear about the pooch...

Are there any good Andriod apps that are as good as Livecam Pro?

Poe isn't a signal ..

Power over Ethernet is a way to power a device....

That is contingent upon the Poe injector rating or switch port rating and the draw of the device...leveled against distance.

I see no way for.Poe to.leave.your home if you have your own served LAN...

NOW FROM MY DESKTOP....

Differentiation on Cat5E to CAT6E is nominally 24G to 23G wires That small step in size will or should give you about 20% less loss...depending on length...structured cabling being as it is, the main consideration for CAT6E is GIGABIT speeds as well as other benefits.

Unless you are plugging into a POE switch you gain no benefit on trying to RUN POE as it is not a signals as stated it is raw low voltage power that is normally measured in watts..

Nick,

Ooops, my error - for some reason thought we were discussing PowerLine e.g. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/xavb5001.aspx#two.

TheWombat

Go to the authors website. A lot of authors write software for multiple platforms....

Looks like they do...

http://eggmantechnologies.com/products.html

Typos courtesy Apple...

Thanks Wombat. I'd really like it if someone could post some pictures of the actual camera and the place you have it installed so I can see how you ran your power cables. I'd really like to avoid having a black cord running up and down my walls ya know?

I'm seeing this endeavor as getting pretty expensive. Sounds like just purchasing the cams isn't just as plug-n-play as I had though.

For security reasons I won't post pictures of where my cameras are :-) However the actual cameras are easy to set-up so not sure why the endeavor is seen as expensive unless you are talking about a more sophisticated layered security etc where you probably want to consult with a professional.

As we are primarily using the cameras as baby video monitors for now we have 2 cameras on top of book cases where the wire runs down the back of the book case so can't be seen at all, and the other camera screwed to a wall just above a window which allows the cable to run into the window space and behind the window blind so it can't be seen.

If you Google "foscam 8910 installation" you can see pictures of people's installations and the cameras. If you look on YouTube and search on "Foscam" there are also a number of good videos.

hth

TheWombat

Get on Foscam's email list and watch their site. They have good sales and package deals... Much better than buying one at a time if you decide to expand. But Wombat is correct. Not an expensive endeavor.

Typos courtesy Apple...

A bit of advice - if you buy a foscam make an effort to test it out right away before you run out your return period. The first one I bought was defective in that it could only pan left/right but not up/down. Luckily I finally tested it out a couple of days before my 30 day return window ran out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.ipcamviewerBasic

The free version allows you to connect to 6 cameras if I remember correctly... it's ad-based, but the ad isn't too intrusive.

I've never tried Livecam Pro to say how it compares, but I like free, and since I have a mix of Foscam and Trendnet cameras, this app works for me.

Cams and blue iris software came today. I installed the cam software and run them on my desk. Installed the blue iris software and setup the two cams everything works now all i have to do is power up the cams and mount outside.

The motion detection does work it detected me walking by and recorded my movement..

Kewl... Which ones ya get?

Cams and blue iris software came today. I installed the cam software and run them on my desk. Installed the blue iris software and setup the two cams everything works now all i have to do is power up the cams and mount outside.

The motion detection does work it detected me walking by and recorded my movement..

Typos courtesy Apple...

I'll be receiving three Foscam cameras today:

FI8910W - indoor, tilt/pan, wireless

FI8905E - outdoor, 4mm lens, POE

FI8904W - outdoor, wireless/wired, 6mm lens

After I run all of them through their paces I'll report the results here. I'll be comparing their operation and image quality to legacy 400-700 TVL analog cameras, and a Logitech 750e outdoor camera.

I'm going to use Blue Iris as the video software. Possibly compared to Vitamin D.

However in this thread I'll restrict my info and comments to the Foscam cameras. Anyone else interested in other specifics can PM me.

Hey all,

I got my foscam 8910 setup over the weekend and have it placed on a bay window over looking my driveway and front entryway.

Working fairly well so far. Only bad thing is infrared reflects off the window rendering it useless at night for outside.

Setup was fairly simple..!

I have vitamin d running, which sends me an email and ftps a clip to my server anytime it detects motion in my "hotspot."

I wanted to use blue iris but for some reason, I couldn't get it to reliably detect motion, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up...

Happy with it so far..!

This thread has been great!

Motion works fine. But you are going to have the same prob with motion as you do with the IR reflecting off the window. Had I known you'd do that, I would have said just got the outdoor cam.

You're going to have to monkey with it that way. Better off using it for indoors only.

Hey all,

I got my foscam 8910 setup over the weekend and have it placed on a bay window over looking my driveway and front entryway.

Working fairly well so far. Only bad thing is infrared reflects off the window rendering it useless at night for outside.

Setup was fairly simple..!

I have vitamin d running, which sends me an email and ftps a clip to my server anytime it detects motion in my "hotspot."

I wanted to use blue iris but for some reason, I couldn't get it to reliably detect motion, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up...

Happy with it so far..!

This thread has been great!

Motion works fine. But you are going to have the same prob with motion as you do with the IR reflecting off the window. Had I known you'd do that, I would have said just got the outdoor cam.

You're going to have to monkey with it that way. Better off using it for indoors only.

That's what's strange.. Vitamin D has been working great over the last 3 days with detecting motion and sending me alerts. Blue Iris was running for one day and it wasn't consistent with motion alerts, even when I passed my hand in front of the camera inside the window.. It didnt pick it up as motion.. (??) so I nixed it and went with Vitamin D.

Perhaps it's the software? Vitamin D is able to fairly accurately determine if an object is a person, animal or "other." Maybe whatever algo they're running is more "intelligent"?

So far over the last 2 days, I've seen (been alerted of) the landscapers, postman, and ups delivery person. =]

Go through every setting... and I mean every one.... Set up ftp, motion and schedule. Hey must all be setup.

hooked up, i lose wireless connection on one cam ?

no motion detection on either cam ?

Typos courtesy Apple...