david8613

any other high effiency luxury cars I should be looking at?

If you've definitely decided to lease, why not drive something that's maintenance-intensive, like a BMW or a Jaguar?

I have a BMW that I purchased new right before the financial melt down, and I have the BMW extended warranty for a couple more years. It's never left me stranded, but there have been a lot of other annoying problems. Consumer Reports actually recommends the 1 Series and 3 Series right now -- so mine might be an anomaly. For the first 4 years, at least all repairs and maintenance -- including things like wiper blades -- is "free". The service department is pretty good, with BMW loaner cars, and when they've had a problem up -- like they need to get a part shipped from Germany -- they've always upgraded me to a larger car. In retrospect, I should have leased the car, not purchased it, but like everything it seemed a good idea at the time. Routine maintenance -- after the first 4 years, before the end of the extended warranty -- isn't too bad because I have 10 thumbs and a basic set of metric tools and even I can do it. BMW even sells an extended service agreement -- it just didn't make sense for me because I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

I have mixed feelings, because the car is great when it's running right! It's one of the few -- maybe the only -- upmarket sedan that's still available with a manual transmission, so I give it a "10" for having a soul. But I probably won't buy another, since I've already experienced the "BMW experience" -- both good and bad -- and there are a lot of other interesting cars to try.

BMW Financial is offering a 328i lease for $339/month/$2,750 Down payment, which seems within the proposed budget.

My first few cars had manual windows, and -- air conditioning? -- open a window! Pretty much everything you can buy in the USA today is a "luxury" car by my standards.

we're coming up on that same descision in a few months...

have a certified 07 328xi that has been pretty good, but im getting nervous since the certified warranty is up. only major issue was the transfer case at 75K that was covered. didnt cost me a dime.

i had a 2010 vw golf tdi that got crushed in Sandy. loved that car from the mechanical side. 45mpg without blinking. fit and finish left something to be desired.

i have a 2011 gmc terrain that is ok. i have the 4 cyl awd. average around 22-23 mpg about 50/50 highway city.

im thinking about a a 2010 A4, but am looking for ideas also. prefer awd, but am open it ideas. thanks

I have a friend that is a Nissan cert mechanic now but has worked at various dealerships ans ays VW/Audi is one of the worst for repairs.

Vws arent too bad if you dont count the specialty tools. My 99 cabrio was great with little issues. Hell the timing belt was the easiest to change. I'm only getting rid of it cause I need a truck. I got it at 90k and it has 180k now. My 91 passat wasn't bad either but I beat the piss out of it and I needed to upgrade to go to college.

Hmm i was just at the car show and have been asking the same questions.

A guy there spoke of a 12,000 mile a year lease. But i started thinking to late to ask what are the typical milage allotment choices on a lease. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm i was just at the car show and have been asking the same questions.

A guy there spoke of a 12,000 mile a year lease. But i started thinking to late to ask what are the typical milage allotment choices on a lease. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well........

There really isn't a "typical" mileage allotment for leases. The more miles per year the more the monthly payment. Dealer's like to quote the monthly price for a 12,000 mile per year lease because it's a lower payment. Just remember if you go over 12,000 per year you pay a penalty for every mile over. I've seen leases as low as 10,000 per year and some company leases that allowed 25,000 miles per year. I would say that most people get 12,000 or 15,000.

I have a friend that is a Nissan cert mechanic now but has worked at various dealerships ans ays VW/Audi is one of the worst for repairs.

Not sure what you mean by "worst". Do German cars, in general, need more repairs than Asian cars, yes, absolutely. But road test a Nissan, or any Asian car, and a VW/Audi, BMW, MB, back to back. Some will notice a very distinct difference, others will not. The ones that notice the difference are doomed to higher maintenance costs for the rest of their driving lives. Those that don't will be very happy with an Asian car that almost never needs to go into the shop. No wrong or right, good or bad, it's just the way it is. Well, at least my $.02 (after being the business for over 35 years).

I think he meant reliability wise and having to repair them. I was always a Chevy and Dodge/Jeep guy then when they fell on hard times their reputation went garbage. Now having Toyota and all guys I know with Tundras and Tacomas never having an issues with them I don't know if I'll ever go back to the big three.

I do like the Silverados and Tahoes a lot along with the Charger, Wrangler and F-150 Raptor but for now I am a Yota fan boi.

Not sure what you mean by "worst". Do German cars, in general, need more repairs than Asian cars, yes, absolutely. But road test a Nissan, or any Asian car, and a VW/Audi, BMW, MB, back to back. Some will notice a very distinct difference, others will not. The ones that notice the difference are doomed to higher maintenance costs for the rest of their driving lives. Those that don't will be very happy with an Asian car that almost never needs to go into the shop. No wrong or right, good or bad, it's just the way it is. Well, at least my $.02 (after being the business for over 35 years).

We drove the 5 series and I personally didn't like the drive

Looks yes. Love em. But when we drove the Lexus we fell in love. This is our second ES and my wife loves it and she hates spending money.

We drove the 5 series and I personally didn't like the drive

Looks yes. Love em. But when we drove the Lexus we fell in love. This is our second ES and my wife loves it and she hates spending money.

You're a lucky one! The Lexus will cost less in maintenance. German cars are not for everyone.

I think I'm pretty much settle on the Buick lacrosse its leather package loaded, leather big sunroof e assist engine, rear view camera and sensors.... they offerd me 2,000 down 379.00 month 12,000 miles a year. I tried get him down to 350.00 but he won't budge, you guys think this is a good deal, or should I shop around more?

Vws arent too bad if you dont count the specialty tools. My 99 cabrio was great with little issues. Hell the timing belt was the easiest to change. I'm only getting rid of it cause I need a truck. I got it at 90k and it has 180k now. My 91 passat wasn't bad either but I beat the piss out of it and I needed to upgrade to go to college.

Yours wasn't too bad because you bought within the window of their 10y/100k warranty on the driveline. That was part of an effort to overcome a very poor rep for engine problems. The normally aspirated engines form that time frame were pretty good reliability wise. The electronics... not so much. The wife had a new beetle.. 6 ECUs in 8 years. Audis on the other hand seem to be crafted with the notion that you can't afford an audi unless you can afford one every 3 years.

the argument here is that buying is not smart for some. some people that want a new car every 4 years its not smart for. You will loose more money buying and selling and buying as opposed to a lease where you bring it back and get a new one in 3 years. ive owned my truck for 5 or so years and wont be getting rid of it. but for some people leases work. also if you take care of the car like you own it you dont normally get charges. normal wear and tear they dont care about minor scratches. if you have a huge gash or big dents then yea fix them before you bring it. and before you return a lease always wash it and clean the inside up. then the inspectors say wow this thing still looks new.

The only thing not smart is the mentality "some people that want a new car every 4 years."

Buy a car, keep it for 10 years at a minimum.

That's the only "smart" thing to do.

NOBODY needs a new car every 4 years, unless they drive 50,000 miles per year, and run their car into the ground.

Buying a car every 3-4 years is typical old school spoiled brat thinking.

...then we wonder why most Americans live on credit, and our economy tanked... :drag:

"I have mixed feelings, because the car is great when it's running right!"

Exactly. This is the case with all German cars.

"German Engineering" is a marketing myth, gobbled up by consumers with fat wallets.

Talk to all the mechanics you can find. They'll tell you the truth. VW, Audi, BMW, Merc... all garbage.

German cars are about image. Period.

We've purchased a new Toyota Camry in back 2001, for $17k.

5 years later it was paid off.

So for the past 7 years we've had a "free" car. No car payments, and minimal insurance costs.

160,000+ miles later, and besides typical maintenance, we've only had to replace a few small parts, like belts and bushings.

Still gets 35 mpg on the highway.

The car will last another several years...

Exactly. This is the case with all German cars.

"German Engineering" is a marketing myth, gobbled up by consumers with fat wallets.

Talk to all the mechanics you can find. They'll tell you the truth. VW, Audi, BMW, Merc... all garbage.

German cars are about image. Period.

We've purchased a new Toyota Camry in back 2001, for $17k.

5 years later it was paid off.

So for the past 7 years we've had a "free" car. No car payments, and minimal insurance costs.

160,000+ miles later, and besides typical maintenance, we've only had to replace a few small parts, like belts and bushings.

Still gets 35 mpg on the highway.

The car will last another several years...

One person's opinion. I have worked in the service end of the car business since 1975, started with domestics, spent some time with Asians and then the Germans. One of the many things I have learned in my years is that not everyone appreciates all makes and models of car. German engineering a myth? Hardly, but certainly not for everyone. If you cannot appreciate the engineering that's fine, but it is not a myth. Indeed, what is in todays BMW or VW will be in the Asian cars 5-10 years from now when they reverse engineer it.

not to hijack the thread, but put your nra sticker on it now. we need people to see this in nj. people are almost embarrassed that they own guns in nj and thats the problem.

During the election i saw a Prius with a Romney /Ryan sticker everyday on 287

This thread was great! And an eye opener opener for me. i was always a big american car driver, but im now an official 2013 honda accord ex l driver. After a good test drive i was convinced! Agile, power, and very featured laden for the money... pictures will follow soon... i stil cant believe im driving a honda, in million years i never thought!