gleninjersey

Just Got Back From Heritage Guild In Easton, PA

It is right off of 78 (1st exit after you go through the toll) and was easy to get to for me as I live near Bridgewater. I was originally thinking of going to RTSP in Randolph but after reading about how much they charged for their ammo on the forum here and other comments I decided to give Heritage Guild a try...mostly because all the comments I read here were positive about them and it was about the same distance.

Rented the Ruger SP 101 .357 (3 inch barrel) and the Ruger SR40 (somebody else had the 9mm). Bought a box of 50 .38 ($24.99) and a box of 50 .357 ($28.99) and the .40 cal was ($20.99). I liked the revolver for the simple fact that it was easier to load and operate.

The instructors were helpful and one suggested I should try the S&W .357 686 next time I come in. I figured since I was there I would just try it right then and bought another box each of .38 and .357. I liked the sights on the S&W more and the trigger was easier to squeeze. The longer barrel of the S&W (6 inch) provided seemed to improve my accuracy.

Next time I go I'll shot less rounds and try more guns. The .357 has a hell of a kick to it. I literally stripped a layer of flesh away from my hand in the area between my thumb and index finger!....didn't stop me from going back and shooting the S&W though (dumb ass that I am).

As far as the range and facility and it was very nice (though I have nothing to compare it to) and it wasn't crowded when I went (maybe it being Good Friday had something to do with that?). I arrived a little after 5pm and was shooting with 20 minutes or less (including filling out the paperwork, getting the ammo and watching a 10 minute safety/range rules video). I def went over an hour but I guess since it was very slow (I think there was one other person on the range when I left) they didn't care.

All in it was close to $200. $20 for the lane fee, $12 for each gun you try, shooting glass and ear protection rental ($1 each) but I feel it was worth it. I was thinking about going with the GP100 after my FID and permit are approved but after shooting it I realize I like the S&W much more. The sights on the S&W were much better and easier to see and it held 7 rounds as opposed to 5.

Oh, I also found the Ruger SR40 really difficult to load (the clip). Maybe it's because I haven't loaded a semi-automatic in close to 20 years (but even back then I only did it a handful of times and didn't like it) or because I'm not used to it or maybe b/c .40 caliber are rather big bullets and more difficult....but probably mostly b/c I'm a noob. Just my opinion/experience.

I too recently discovered Heritage Guild and since I live only 20 minutes away will be heading over there to try a bunch of handguns with the goal of picking out a nice 9mm to be my first one so your positive review of the place was a real help. There don't seem to be too many places to try out some of my choices (based on internet research, gun show handling, and a session with a friend who is a collector and shooter). I have Mondays off so I ought to be able to get the same kind of easy access. Glad you had a good time, and look forward to doing the same.

I have the SR 9 & 40 and have no trouble loading the magazines. The springs were a little stiff at first but after a few times loading them they got easier. They also come with a magazine loader which helps a lot too.

FYI if you buy a firearm from them, that rental fee is deducted off the price.

Now that is good to know. Guess I'll hang on to my receipts! Maybe I can recoup some of that $200 spent today! Are their handguns reasonably prices relative to other sellers? Thanks for the heads up?

I was there yesterday, inventory was okay. Definitely not what it use to be, but better than other places I've seen. Prices were on par with some online places once you factor in shipping and transfer fees. 9mm ammo is pricey at roughly 16/box and .22lr was 8/box of cci mini mags.

As for becoming a member, I agree it's a decent program. 250 bucks gets you unlimited range time (in 1 hr blocks of time) for the year. It also gets you bumped to the front of the range time wait line. So far the longest I've had to wait was 25 minutes when the standard wait time was 2 hrs...