seamusSU

357 revolver suggestions

I'm thinking about picking up a wheelgun with one of my remaining permits. I've only shot a revolver once, a 6" S&W 686 which opened my eyes to the joys of revolvers.

As of right now what I'm thinking a 357 mag with a 4" barrel so it can potentially be used for gun games down the road (after lots of practice).

I loved the 686 but I'd like to hear what some of you think for other options. I've been watching a few Speed/Security Sixes on gunbroker but I'm not sure what a "good"price is on one of those.

Any suggestions/info are greatly appreciated!

686 4" for a 6 shot 627 for an 8 shot. I am a smith lover.

Henry

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

What Henry said! Get one or the other, since the 7-shot version doesn't know what it wants to be (Gun Game wise). Yes, they're a little more coin, but well worth it. There's a reason that HKS Speed-Loaders have "586" etched into the tops and not "GP-100"......just sayin'.......

Dave

With all the 686 love, any idea what a reasonable price should be for a used one?

this is a sticky situation now. Used revolver prices are pretty inflated now because new revolver stock is so difficult to come by.

Check out gunbroker. Used revolvers are going for what they used to go for new, and the new Smiths are going for 5-10% above MSRP

Henry

this is a sticky situation now. Used revolver prices are pretty inflated now because new revolver stock is so difficult to come by.

Check out gunbroker. Used revolvers are going for what they used to go for new, and the new Smiths are going for 5-10% above MSRP

Henry

I've been watching priced on gunbroker to see what they are going for. It seems like $600-800 on most used, unless there's some work that's been done on it.

I know I've seen people on here praising the Speed and Security Sixes in the past, anybody have experience with those and the 686 for direct comparison? I've been seeing those for a couple hundred less so that may also be an option.

If you are considering IDPA or USPSA with a revolver - now, in the near future, or the distant future, Your choices are pretty narrow. Either a 4" 6-shot 686 (L-frame) or a 4" 625 (N-frame / .45 ACP) of some variety. If you intend to shoot steel, the 7 or 8 shot revolvers may be beneficial, but I'm not conversant with the rules for static or knock-down steel.

Prices are a little nuts right now - like everything else gun related - but if you look long and hard you may come across a 686 or 586 (less likely) in the $550 to $650 range, or a 625 in the $675 to $800 range.

We are trying to get a revolver squad going for the USPSA match at Shongum on Saturday, April 6th. You may want to come and spectate, ask questions or just find out what you may be in for. Revolvers are a hoot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am in the market from a S&W model 19. In this market the prices are usually over $700.

I saw a nickel 19 and a model 66 both under that. Realistically - $500 - $600. Pete (of IrishPete'sWife fame) recently stole one on Gun Broker. You just have to keep looking and know when to fold and when to hold.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

There are several I'd consider.

If money is no object - I'd get a Colt Python. I've never owned one, but I have shot several...they really are amazing guns.

Old Colt troopers are nice. The finish on them is almost as good as a Python.

Smith and Wesson's are nice, too, and perhaps a little more "durable" than Colts, though there isn't that much difference between them. As I understand it/and as I've seen it, Colts use the hand to tighten-up the lockup at the last minute before firing, and the hand tends to wear a little faster.

The S&W K-Frame used to be "the" police revolver and there are a zillion out there - pick your caliber. The Model 19 is a great gun. I've seen the L-frames (686/586), and they seem nice, but I haven't any experience with them.

If you can find an old Dan Wesson Pistol Pack - seriously consider one. They are like the erector sets of the revolver world. You feel like its a 6" barrel day? put it on. 2-1/2? you've got it. 4? 8-3/8? got them, too.

Anyhow...that's what I know.

And a little secret - Everybody who knows, knows autoloaders are just a fad...the revolver will always be there for ya.

I second the suggestion on the S&W TRR8 or R8. I picked up the R8 last year and enjoy it immensely. Love the grip and 8 shots is a definite plus with the cylinder setup to accept moonclips. Another selling point for me was the 5" barrel. For some reason, I've never really liked a 4" barrel on a revolver and 6" seems a bit long at times for some reason to me. Only real downsides is the cost and availability. Never shot a 686 but seems like a good gun from the research that I did on it. Was going to get that before I stumbled across a R8 for sale.

I second the suggestion on the S&W TRR8 or R8. I picked up the R8 last year and enjoy it immensely. Love the grip and 8 shots is a definite plus with the cylinder setup to accept moonclips. Another selling point for me was the 5" barrel. For some reason, I've never really liked a 4" barrel on a revolver and 6" seems a bit long at times for some reason to me. Only real downsides is the cost and availability. Never shot a 686 but seems like a good gun from the research that I did on it. Was going to get that before I stumbled across a R8 for sale.

That's a bit more than I'm looking for right now as I'm also planning on picking up a 9mm soon

Sounds like I should keep watching gunbroker and jump on a used 686 if it's going for the right price.

Thanks for all the advice

My first choice would be an L frame or GP100. N frame is nice but harder to find and more expensive. I wouldn't look at Colts. 95% of Colt ownership is "ooh, I have a Colt". They are good guns but no where near the premium price people pay. They also don't do some things that Rugers and S&Ws do better. Dan Wessons are okay but DA is no where near as nice as a S&W or Ruger. If you want a K frame size gun a Ruger 6 series is more durable than a K frame S&W. If its priced right I'd buy a Taurus. I have 3 with no problems.

I'd go for a 4" stainless with any of them.

I don't understand your comment...

"They also don't do some things that Rugers and S&Ws do better."

Realistically, they're all wheelguns. What could a Ruger or S&W possibly do that a Colt couldn't?

Dan Wessons are okay but DA is no where near as nice as a S&W or Ruger.

Gotta disagree with you on this. DW's have a very short LOP with quick reset and fast locktime. Was at Quinby's in Dublin, PA on Friday and he had 15-2V (blue) and a 715-2V (SS) in the case.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I paid $850 for mine, almost new in the original box, and that was two years ago. These things are not going down in value.

That's why I'm babying my 27-2 which I traded the equivalent of about $500.00 worth of gun,mags and ammo.

I shot both the Ruger SP101 KSP-331X (3 inch barrel) and the Smith & Wesson 686 6 inch.at Heritage Guild in Eason this past Friday. I found the sight on the S&W 686 much easier to see. The trigger pull after you cock the hammer was very light on the 686.

I originally liked the way the Ruger looked but once I fired the S&W I felt it was a better value. I may go back and look at other versions on the Ruger. The Range Officer (Dan, David???) explained the difference was largely due to the Ruger being a 3 inch barrel and primarily a self defense or close quarters/conceal & carry type weapon while the longer barrel of the S&W gave it more accuracy and (allegedly) less recoil and it wouldn't be used primarily as a close quarters/conceal & carry type weapon.

I guess for a true comparison you would need to fire a 6inch Ruger (GP-161 or KGP-161) and a 6 inch S&W.

Good luck with your search.

I fondled an SP101 at Caso's last Friday and didn't like the feel of it. The trigger guard had a very sharp edge that would cut up the webbing between the thumb and trigger finger. I'm not sure if it was just that particular unit or if this is an issue with the model in general but I was unimpressed.