Just another stupid NJ law, and it stops criminals from using them how? What our stupid legislators don't understand is hollow point rounds are safer then round nose. Yes they are more lethal, but they are also safer. The tend not to go through the person being shot at and then striking someone else. In close quarters they are less likely to go through walls and strike the tenant in the next unit either.

Just another stupid NJ law, and it stops criminals from using them how? What our stupid legislators don't understand is hollow point rounds are safer then round nose. Yes they are more lethal, but they are also safer. The tend not to go through the person being shot at and then striking someone else. In close quarters they are less likely to go through walls and strike the tenant in the next unit either.

they are legal to have at home.. so nothing is stopping you from using them in your HD gun..

What about if you actually use them in a HD incident? I've tried searching for cases but haven't found any yet.

That tells me that no one got in trouble for using them in a valid HD situation. There are no (court) cases for legal things.

:face palm:

face palm all you want - where in writing does it say you can use hollow points to defend yourself?

I'm well aware of NJSP link above.

What do you think the possibility is of a person not falling into one of the below "OK" categories?

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

Have you ever had a customer that wanted a pistol for no other reason then home defense? That would pretty much exclude them from the above list.

Lets not forget this is the state that locked up a Sussex County Prosecutor's Office agent (Tom Cassidy) because he had a carnival rifle locked up in his safe, that was obtained legally and seized during a warrant-less search.

I know there is a lot more to that story , but - hollow point laws can be almost as ambiguous as "substantially identical to"

The only time hollow points are illegal, is when they are used in the commission of a crime.

Think outside the box. If one was to murder someone with HPs while they are hanging targets at a range, what would be the charge besides homicide? If one was carrying their loaded handgun while tending their basement cannabis facility, what other crime was committed? HP POSSESSION is legal anywhere there is an exemption for it. AFAIK, there is no statute forbidding the USE of HPs, anywhere.

I'm confused. Isn't it illegal to use ANY round while committing a crime? :)

I heard that the sentence doubles if you commit a crime and have HP's in the magazine. This was a gun shop employee at Bangers that told me this.

I heard that the sentence doubles if you commit a crime and have HP's in the magazine. This was a gun shop employee at Bangers that told me this.

Rule #1: Never take legal advice from a gun shop employee.

Rule #2: Never take legal advice from the police.

Do your own research. Buy a NJ Gun Law book. Contact a NJ gun law attorney.

Rule #3: Never take legal advice from a forum board.

I think what it comes down to is this: If your firearm is legally possessed and/or carried, the HP's in that firearm are legal. If your firearm is illegally possessed and/or carried, the HP's in that firearm are likely illegal.

The fact that these topics pop up repeatedly is a testament to how confusing and ridiculous NJ gun laws are.

Think outside the box. If one was to murder someone with HPs while they are hanging targets at a range, what would be the charge besides homicide? If one was carrying their loaded handgun while tending their basement cannabis facility, what other crime was committed? HP POSSESSION is legal anywhere there is an exemption for it. AFAIK, there is no statute forbidding the USE of HPs, anywhere.

I used to always hear about how they were illegal when used in a crime.. but after really reading the law... the law sounds more like it is as you pointed out.. a possession charge used in conjunction with other charges... but still an illegal possession charge NOT a charge brought on by committing a crime..

everything I read says "illegal UNLESS"

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

what the state literally says is pretty clear...

you can't have it unless.. and then here are the situations that qualify as "unless"

if you are in one of those situations.. you are ok.. if you are not.. then you are illegal...

like I said.. I agree with Paul that it is really a possession issue...

The only time hollow points are illegal, is when they are used in the commission of a crime.

No, they are also illegal if they are transported outside of the exemptions.

FMJ - I can go to the gun shop, buy a box of ammo and then make a stop at the post office and grocery store then go home.

Hollow point - I can go to to the gun shop, buy a box of ammo then proceed directly to a range or directly home.