Old Dog

What I learned about guns from the movies.

Often overlooked is the fact that you can learn a lot about self defense and shooting from watching action movies. It is not only informative but also cheaper than taking lessons from a professional. Here are just some things I learned over this long weekend:

1. When your gun is empty you either throw it at the guy you are trying to shoot or just toss it away.

2. When you shoot someone indoors try to make sure he is standing in front of a window so that eh force of the bullet will knock him backwards through the window rather than just slam him against the wall.

3. The gun manufacturer's stated number of rounds for the magazine is much like the weight limit on ladders and is a conservative estimate. Judging from what I saw you can easily count on your gun holding a lot more rounds than advertised.

4. You are more accurate when rolling and jumping rather than shooting from a stable position. This also forces the bad guys to miss you even if they are all shooting full automatics and you have just a revolver.

5. Do not forget to cock your hammer, even if it does no have one so that the bad guy can hear the noise it makes and know you mean business.

6. Wear a bulletproof vest and if shot, pretend you are dead for dramatic effect.

7. Make sure that when you shoot you jab the gun in the direction you are shooting for each shot to give the bullet extra velocity.

8. Hold the gun sideways for the kill shot.

9. Remember, one shot is all it takes to stop the bad guy unless you are mad in which case you can shoot him until your gun is empty which can be a very long time if you have a high cap magazine.

10. Last but not least, a Glock is more than enough to defeat a gang using AR-15's, Uzis and assorted full automatic weapons because only you can hit what you aim for and everyone else misses.

I posted this here as I did not see a humor section but then realized that the section about NJ gun laws was the joke section. :)

1. Shotguns have no recoil

2. Handguns have no recoil

3. Rifles have no recoil

4. Semi-Automatic pistols do not eject casings each time

5. A shotgun blast will raise the victim up of the ground and knock him 6 feet backward each time

6. People can shoot a shotgun with 1 hand with no aiming issues

7. Good guys shooting in the general direction of the bad guy with one hand and no aiming will always take out said bad guy

You forgot that you need to rack the slide each time you prepare to enter a room, go around a corner or go through a doorway.

It's only sporting. You want to give the bad guy time to react in order to demonstrate your superior shooting skills.

1. Shotguns have no recoil

Not exactly true. You shouldn't believe what you see in the movies. Instead, you should rely on experts like Joe Biden. Just to clarify, *Double barrel* shotguns have no recoil. Anything scary looking, like a Saiga, would be still be very hard to shoot, similarly to the AR-15 and other weapons of war.

If you must ignore his advice and use a pump shotgun, be sure to cock it with one hand, by holding onto the forearm and relying on a brisk up and down movement to cock it. This allows you a free hand to shield the heroine or child whom you are bound to protect.

I always like how the hammer dropping noise is heard each time the trigger is pulled,while the slide is locked back on an empty mag.

Also, it's very important to click at least 4 or 5 times when you're out of ammo in order to remind your opponent that you are, in fact, out of ammo and completely vulnerable.

How about constant pulls of a trigger on an automatic weapon.... I'm almost 150% positive it won't make it fire any faster... ;)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I would add that anybody who has never seen a gun can instantly pick it up and become a crack shot.

Watch the movie Basic Instinct 2, which is set in England in 2006. Sharon Stone (who plays an American) has a Sig P232 pistol near the end of the movie and uses it to convince another British character to shoot a policeman.

#1. It is unexplained how Sharon Stone obtained a pistol.

#2. The character she hands the pistol to doesn't react in horror and revulsion - which if you speak to people from England is how they react to firearms.

#3. The character who shoots the policeman fires two shots and hits his target perfectly in the chest, despite obviously never having fired a gun before.

Actually, better yet, don't watch Basic Instinct 2...

Ooooohhhh, I dunno about that. First time I took my ex-wife shooting, she picked up my Python and put first 3 shots through the bullseye... She never shot a day in her life.

One thing I learned from my dive instructor years ago. Men suck more at starting out with new things than women. We tend to muscle everything, while women tend to pay attention to instruction, take their time and have better luck first time around with some things. Hence, I sunk and drank the ocean and she dove non-stop and played with the fish...

Go figure...

I would add that anybody who has never seen a gun can instantly pick it up and become a crack shot.

Watch the movie Basic Instinct 2, which is set in England in 2006. Sharon Stone (who plays an American) has a Sig P232 pistol near the end of the movie and uses it to convince another British character to shoot a policeman.

#1. It is unexplained how Sharon Stone obtained a pistol.

#2. The character she hands the pistol to doesn't react in horror and revulsion - which if you speak to people from England is how they react to firearms.

#3. The character who shoots the policeman fires two shots and hits his target perfectly in the chest, despite obviously never having fired a gun before.

Actually, better yet, don't watch Basic Instinct 2...

Typos courtesy Apple...

Ooooohhhh, I dunno about that. First time I took my ex-wife shooting, she picked up my Python and put first 3 shots through the bullseye...

Python, eh? So when you gonna take me?

Solly Cholly.... Pythons no more. Sold them...

That was my EX Wife many many moons ago...

Python, eh? So when you gonna take me?

Typos courtesy Apple...

So, based on all the movies you've seen, what scenes have you watched that actually have some thought put into it before shooting the scene? The one memorable to me was the scene where Tom Cruise was engaging 2 thugs in the alley way. Drew from concealment, single tap on first perp from hip, followed by a two handed double on the second perp, followed by follow up single on the first perp. Such a short scene but perfect execution. Not some over exagerated movie shot.

HEAT also had some great scenes.

I hate when they have a 1911 with the hammer down and start shooting.

So, based on all the movies you've seen, what scenes have you watched that actually have some thought put into it before shooting the scene? The one memorable to me was the scene where Tom Cruise was engaging 2 thugs in the alley way. Drew from concealment, single tap on first perp from hip, followed by a two handed double on the second perp, followed by follow up single on the first perp. Such a short scene but perfect execution. Not some over exagerated movie shot.

HEAT also had some great scenes.

"Way of the Gun" and "Sinners and Saints" had some if the best gunplay I have seen in movies.

I'm fully protected from bullets by an overturned wooden table.

Jumping out of the way is a viable way of avoiding gunshot-related injury.

All guns sound exactly like a shotgun being pumped. Even if already cocked.

Double barrel shotguns are all pump actions in anything animated.

A handgun is more accurate at 200 yards than a sniper rifle is.

Apparently no one ever carries a gun with a round in the chamber.

The ultimate show to learn how guns and bullets are safe and don't hurt people is the original A-Team... 1000's of rounds fired and never hitting people.

The ultimate show to learn how guns and bullets are safe and don't hurt people is the original A-Team... 1000's of rounds fired and never hitting people.

The opposite is Walking Dead: everybody can make headshots the first time they pick up a gun. While running. Without aiming.