DSD1026

New CZ 75B Stainless & Range Time

OK, so as some might know, I recently picked up my new CZ 75B Matte Stainless (GunBroker, yeah, couldnt find it anywhere else) from Steve @ Monmouth Arms (thanks for pinning the mags Steve).. First impressions were that it felt terrific in my hands. My wife was suitably impressed with it as well (her reaction was "damn thats a nice looking gun")..

So, finally got to go to the range yesterday to break it in. First off, its much heavier than the other 9mm's I tried out (Glock and Sig 229), which of course helps with recoil, which is a good thing for a noob as well as for my wife who does not like recoil much. Loaded the 2 pinned mags and 2 additional 10rd mags (bought from CZ directly) with some of the recently available Herter's ammo and also brought some American Eagle and some Federal JHP (just a small 20rd box).

First shooting impressions.. Great gun to shoot. Gun is way more accurate than I am (keep in mind, this is only my 3rd time and 5th gun that I have shot). The only issue I had was there were a few FTE's along the way. I ended up shooting a total of 220 rounds and had about 5 FTE's. I am not sure if it was my shooting style, the ammo or the break-in of the gun. I had them with both the Herters and the AE ammo, but the majority were with the Herters. I am thinking it was maybe a combination of all 3 factors (when I shot previously, I had the same shooting style, but never had an FTE). That said, it seemed to get better toward the end, I think my last FTE was at about 150 rds. I didnt think I was limp-wristing at all, but since there was no one else with me and no real RO at the range (is this normal at BA?), I couldnt really judge that for myself. I was surprised how few other people were at the range (only 4 others were there, and only one other when I was done)

The good thing about getting FTE's is that I learned how to clear them fairly well. Since it was the first time I had one, I was a little bit nervous about it, but once I figured out how to clear it, it was fine. I will have to see if those go away with more practice or if its something to do with the ammo (although, that seems doubtful unless it was just part of the break-in of the gun). Note I did not have any FTE's with the JHP ammo, but I used that closer toward the end just to get a feel if that would fire differently. I also adjusted my trigger pull a bit toward the end to see if that would make a difference with the FTE's and also with my aim (im pulling to the left a bit).

All in all, I had an enjoyable time breaking in the new CZ, and once I can get more ammo (i only have about 200 rds left, but have another 500 rds hopefully being delivered this week), I can get myself back to the range for some more break-in and training, and I can bring my wife with me so she can get a feel for it. Oh, and BA is charging about $30+ for a box of 9mm.. Crazy stuff..

Pics of my CZ and also of my target from the range (one of them at least). Don't laugh at the pink target or my "not-so-great-yet aim". Oh, and yes, i was aiming for the small box in the upper left side of the target for those that look like they were shot near there.. Was also aiming for the barcode on the upper right part with one or 2 shots, just for the hell of it..

cz75b.jpg

img0539cr.jpg

Very good range report and again, a beautiful gun.

As to the FTE's....Was it mainly when using the pinned mags?The reason I asked is that the CZ is known to cycle just about everything .Another reason could be limpwristing...a phenomenon I was guilty of myself earlier on.

Glad you and the wife love the gun now get some snapcaps and dryfire her to smooth out the trigger between range visits.

Very nice CZ man. Matte stainless was my first choice but couldn't find either. Not could I find a 9mm! Went with a 40 Cal instead. They definitely are tack drivers especially when your skill catches up with the guns accuracy. Not sure what to tell ya on the FTEs, I have yet to have the slightest hiccup after 600 rounds. Here's a pic of mine. The more you shoot it, the more you'll love it

post-5481-0-09624500-1364749915_thumb.jpg

I'm very jealous--would love the SS model, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend and not ambi like my 85.

I had some infrequent FTE's early on with my CZ. About one every 100 rounds. I was annoyed to say the least because CZ's are known for their reliability and I wasn't looking for a "project" gun but something reliable out of the box. CZ-USA ended up polishing the chamber and installing an extra power extractor spring for me free of charge. No problems since (and many different rounds tested).

If you want to try to solve the problem yourself there are a few things you can do. First, be sure to mark the mags that are giving you problems. A piece of duct tape on the bottom, for example. If it's only one mag (or only the pinned mags) giving you trouble you found the culprit.

Second, if you have the right size punch, you can remove the extractor. CZ's are shipped well lubed, and it's possible there's some crud behind the extractor claw (this is a fairly common problem with these models and can be the result of dirt attaching to too much oil).

If this doesn't work you can call CZ and ask them to send you an extra power extractor spring. Unfortunately I believe these need to be cut down to fit, which is kind of a pain. You can also get a heavier recoil spring--CZ's are notoriously undersprung. This may help.

CZ-USA was very helpful in my experience, and you may need to send it back. If you do expect a chamber polish and new springs. Made a world of difference.

Very nice CZ man. Matte stainless was my first choice but couldn't find either. Not could I find a 9mm! Went with a 40 Cal instead. They definitely are tack drivers especially when your skill catches up with the guns accuracy. Not sure what to tell ya on the FTEs, I have yet to have the slightest hiccup after 600 rounds. Here's a pic of mine. The more you shoot it, the more you'll love it

I really like the colour on your grips.....005_zpse230df64.jpg

Here's mine....

Very good range report and again, a beautiful gun.

As to the FTE's....Was it mainly when using the pinned mags?The reason I asked is that the CZ is known to cycle just about everything .Another reason could be limpwristing...a phenomenon I was guilty of myself earlier on.

Glad you and the wife love the gun now get some snapcaps and dryfire her to smooth out the trigger between range visits.

im going to shoot it again and see if it continues to happen. i will keep an eye on which mag(s) it happens with, but i do know it actually happened the first time with the factory 10rd mag.. i will also keep an eye on my shooting style.. im hoping it wont come down to me sending it back to CZ.. i do love the feel of this gun though.. and it is quite stunning visually.. heh

Send it to CZ-Custom for a comp hammer and sights and your cz75 will be totally different pistol. The DA will be around 5.5-6.5 lbs and and will be smooth. Also look at their Comp sights much better than stock. I had these two jobs done on my 75b and one of my favorite pistols to shoot. Good Luck with it!!