sammythebull

In NJ can you hold an intruder at gunpoint until LE arrive?

I believe the proper thing to do is buy a double barrel shotgun, a double barrel shotgun, and take your double barrel shotgun and shoot it out your front door twice. That will keep the intruders away.

Yeah, the whole handcuffs thing, it would be a disorderly persons offense if you were carrying them and about to kidnap someone....IMO. IF you have them at home in a night stand, it wouldn't (read shouldn't) be a problem but I'm not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV.

Seriously? Wow... What a thread! I figure this:

I hear someone in my house rummaging around at night, I will tell my wife to call 911 and then I will go venture out into the house and yell that I have a shotgun for them and either an engagement will ensue or perp will probably leave and I will try to spot him so the cops know which way he went.

Second scenario, perp kicks in door with guns drawn, I grab nearest firearm, and well the rest will be history. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Handcuffs. Any person who knowingly has in his possession handcuffs as defined in P.L.1991, c. 437 (C.2C:39-9.2), under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as handcuffs may have, is guilty of a disorderly persons offense. A law enforcement officer shall confiscate handcuffs possessed in violation of the law.

Please do NOT tell my wife. After 20 years of marriage, we need the fun.

It's simply amazing how convoluted the laws in New Jersey have become. Things are so strange you don't even know what you can do to protect your own home.

The moral of this story seems to be shoot numerous times and ask questions latter.

I've got to move to Texas!

What is the purpose of announcing to a home invader....you have a gun ? Please Explain...

Hopefully they will run away.

I wouldn't venture out into the house myself. There is just the two of us. I'd call 911 and stay put with my wife in the bedroom.

The thing is that unless you are a LEO if you hold him you may be charged with an illegal arrest or even kidnapping - stupid laws. That is why the best thing is probably empty the magazine into him. As the cops in NY told my dad in the 1970's - feel free to have a gun in your house and shoot anyone BUT before you call us be sure to a) drag him inside of the house if you shot him outside, and B) if he turns out to be unarmed place a kitchen knife in his dead hands before we get there.

citizens arrest? or does that exist here the same as carry rights?

So if my girlfriend's pink fuzzy handcuffs are next the bed and I use them to detain an intruder. The fuzzy cuffs go away?

Cuff him, and tell the cops he's been a very very bad boy and needed punishing.. :girlcrazy: might help if ur girl is standing there with some latex on and a whip. tell them it's nice to NOT be the one tied up this time and give a wink and a nudge.

Cuff him, and tell the cops he's been a very very bad boy and needed punishing.. :girlcrazy: might help if ur girl is standing there with some latex on and a whip. tell them it's nice to NOT be the one tied up this time and give a wink and a nudge.

I like your sick demented thinking

The thing is that unless you are a LEO if you hold him you may be charged with an illegal arrest or even kidnapping - stupid laws. That is why the best thing is probably empty the magazine into him. As the cops in NY told my dad in the 1970's - feel free to have a gun in your house and shoot anyone BUT before you call us be sure to a) drag him inside of the house if you shot him outside, and B) if he turns out to be unarmed place a kitchen knife in his dead hands before we get there.

Another quote from the BCOFF (Biden Club of Firearms Felons).

I believe the proper thing to do is buy a double barrel shotgun, a double barrel shotgun, and take your double barrel shotgun and shoot it out your front door twice. That will keep the intruders away.

Maybe you should run into an adjacent room, close the door and then fire through the door at him if he tries to open it. Expert witness Biden will most likely show up...

I wouldn't venture out into the house myself. There is just the two of us. I'd call 911 and stay put with my wife in the bedroom.

The same as someone racking a shotgun??

The above responses... if I announce and some schmuck decides that running away isn't the smart choice, well then he's more than welcome some 00buck or maybe 9mm. At least I gave him a chance to leave and offered it instead of blasting the dumba$$!

This is by far the best course of action if you can lock yourself in a room with a firearm. Call 911 and if the door to the room you're hiding in gets kicked in then you start blasting. No one here is superman... don't wander around your house without knowing the exact situation. Multiple intruders in different directions could get you dead.