Overpriced. You can find pens cheaper that will accomplish the same thing at Staples. Its all in the construction, any steel bodied pen works well for jabbing and poking. This is a good example of one.

http://www.staples.com/Zebra-F-701-Retractable-Ballpoint-Pen-7mm-Stainless-Steel-Black/product_710693

The way I always looked at it was this: if I do harm to an attacker with a "tactical" pen, then I will likely have the judicial tables turned on me. Something along the lines of carrying a weapon in anticipation of doing harm. In NJ, it is illegal to carry any weapon, which is how that pen is marketed. If I carry a Fisher titanium pen (which I'm sure writes a ton better than those tac pen), and just happen to poke a hole in an attacker, than my "weapon" just became a tool that I was lucky to have...obviously my view is for a metallic pen, not a tac pen....at least in NJ.

The way I always looked at it was this: if I do harm to an attacker with a "tactical" pen, then I will likely have the judicial tables turned on me. Something along the lines of carrying a weapon in anticipation of doing harm. In NJ, it is illegal to carry any weapon, which is how that pen is marketed. If I carry a Fisher titanium pen (which I'm sure writes a ton better than those tac pen), and just happen to poke a hole in an attacker, than my "weapon" just became a tool that I was lucky to have...obviously my view is for a metallic pen, not a tac pen....at least in NJ.

Is a tactical pen really illegal to carry? I think you can carry them onto an airplane.

Is a tactical pen really illegal to carry? I think you can carry them onto an airplane.

Didn't say it was illegal...just that if you used it in NJ, you would be flamed in court because of its "intended purpose", compared to a regular pen."Why Mr. Self Defense, did you have a "tactical" pen your persons? Do you look for trouble? Are you always expecting an attack? Could you have run away?"...things like that.

I carry one but I can't argue with those that say to carry a normal pen, metal being preferred. Just make sure the end cap is flat so you can have your thumb on it to support the strike if you ever have to use it. I tried carrying a normal pen but would leave it at home all the time. This is what I have and maybe because it's a defensive pen, I have it with me all the time:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rescue-defense-pen.aspx?a=935838

If you'd just like a really cool looking pen, but not something that might attract unwanted attention, really check out the Hinderers. He makes one called the investigator which is basically a small pen with a threaded cap. I have one in flamed titanium, it's pretty sweet. He makes them in copper and bronze I believe as well.

I love those pens. BUT, I hate pens I can't turn or click. Don't they have to be uncapped to be used?

If you'd just like a really cool looking pen, but not something that might attract unwanted attention, really check out the Hinderers. He makes one called the investigator which is basically a small pen with a threaded cap. I have one in flamed titanium, it's pretty sweet. He makes them in copper and bronze I believe as well.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have them in brass, copper, and stainless. I sold the titanium as I felt it was too light. Great pen, well made. I have another brand in my car, will try to remember to bring it in and throw a picture up. Will be getting rid of dirt cheap.

;)

I like this pen, but the ink bottle is too big to fit in my car.

4912582976_Dh7AZ5HA_l.jpg

Seriously though, I suppose there are many every day items you could use in a self defense situation.

Yes i know it has know blade, but does anyone use one?

What is a good one?

Thanks,

Bill

I have a few. One is a Schrade and the other is much more expensive but I cannot remember the brand. Quite frankly I like the cheaper one better. They are basically like any other object I learned to use to cause pain. A regular pen would do if you know where to press it. We used to use Sharpie pens in the old days. I guess you can use the pen side to stab but if you ever stabbed anyone you know that your hand will slide down the blade unless there is a handguard to stop it and pens do not have those.

I would carry pepper spray instead of a tactical or combat pen. You have to get real close to use the pen so you might as well use the spray if you are in breathing distance of each other.

Funny story. I carry my tactical pen and use it as I would a regular pen. Might as well for what I spent on it. One day I got into a car accident on the GSP and the other guy and I pulled over to look over the damage. He wanted my driver's license info but did not have a pen so I gave him mine. I then proceeded to call the Police and that is when he got very agitated. He did not want the police involved and I insisted and he jumped into his car and drove away. Turns out that he was an illegal immigrant. The pen I gave him was one of my tactical pens and when I might have needed it I handed it over the someone else who drove off with it. Since then I do not rely on a pen for any personal protection. A waste of money if you ask me and doubly so if you do not get professional training to use it and other similar stick like objects. Save your money and buy something else.

I fly a lot, so no way I can carry pepper spray. I carry a CRKT tactical pen. I've been in some sketchy neighborhoods in Chicago, Mexico City, Detroit, it's better than bare hands!

The one from the car is an Uzi Tactical. Looks like this:

Uzipen.jpg

This sells for $15 plus shipping on the web.

$10 PP Gift to a member here with shipping included.

Mods, please move if I should not have posted this here, my apologies in advance if so...