Sludog

Lever action .22 rifles...Which one to get?

I am looking to get a lever action .22 rifle for some range and target shooting. I love the look and action of the lever rifles and remind me of the old westerns on tv and just seem like really fun guns to shoot. The top choice on my list is Henry of course which are 100% made in the USA and in BAyonne NJ on top of that. I was also looking for a Winchester as well but it seems that they are no longer produced and are much more expensive then the Henry's at least the ones I saw on the online retailers like Gun broker and Guns America.

Any other brands and models I should look at?

Marlin 39A or a Winchester 9422 if you can find one. Both are milled steel and offer a simple take-down feature. (The 9422M's were chambered in .22 Mag., a nice offering if you want some added punch.) Model 39's are around, while 9422's are becoming tough to find and they aren't cheap anymore. The Browning BL-22 always took a back seat to these in popularity probably because it was made in Japan, isn't easy to disassemble, and the trigger travels with the short-throw lever, a function some folks either love or hate. However, they are nicely made with no cheap materials.

Marlin 39A or a Winchester 9422 if you can find one. Both are milled steel and offer a simple take-down feature. (The 9422M's were chambered in .22 Mag., a nice offering if you want some added punch.) Model 39's are around, while 9422's are becoming tough to find and they aren't cheap anymore. The Browning BL-22 always took a back seat to these in popularity probably because it was made in Japan, isn't easy to disassemble, and the trigger travels with the short-throw lever, a function some folks either love or hate. However, they are nicely made with no cheap materials.

The 9422 Winchester, can you shoot other .22 ammo with it? I take it that the Marlin and the 9422 are both discontinued and being used as extortion guns on Gun Broker.

The 9422 Winchester, can you shoot other .22 ammo with it? I take it that the Marlin and the 9422 are both discontinued and being used as extortion guns on Gun Broker.

Two different models: the 9422 handled .22LR, the 9422M was chambered in .22 Mag. The 9422's were discontinued in 2005(?) The Marlin M39 is still made. (Marlin chambered their M1894 in .22 Magnum for a while. That chambering has been discontinued as well. Somewhat scarce today and will cost you.)

After researching .22 rifles for what seemed like months, I went the 39a route. Everyone suggested the 39a or the Browning. I went through three of the Marlins and still was unhappy. Exchanged my third one for a Henry .22 basic model and couldn't be any happier with it. I'd like to get another one down the road and scope it. Working the lever is so much fun!

Ok now you all got me fired up wanting a Henry .22 lever.. Anybody got the skinny on who has then in NJ?

We got ours at L&H in Wall.

It's the gun my son shoots.  I can't say it's his gun, but it's really "his" gun, you know.  He's 15 and LOVES it.

I'll never forget a steel match at CJ and there is my son shooting his Henry, then I hear "Hey, there's a kid shooting a Henry in pit 3." 

The next thing I know he's talking to a bunch of adults who were waxing nostalgic about their first 22. 

It's really a great gun.  He was shootign steel plates the other day at 200 yards with my old cheap BB gun scope.

Got my teenager a .22 Henry almost a decade ago.  At almost age 24, now he has it out in Iowa.  Great trainer, great plinker, just GREAT!

Put a Nikon 3-9 x40mm on her and she can hit clays all day at 100 yards.........and they're made in Bayonne NJ by Tony I. and staff!

So WTF are you waiting for, lol!?

Lever guns are nice, but Henry seems to fall short.  The Henry is fairly difficult to repair and bulk ammo sometimes does not function well in it.  Additionally, it is a little on the expensive side for the sheet metal gun you are getting.   The "receiver" on a Henry lever action .22 is, in fact, a sheet metal cover over cast zamak working parts.  I'd still buy one if I found one at a reasonable price for what it is, as I am sure it is one fun little gun.  But, if I am going to spend the money, I would much prefer something like a Marlin Model 39A, Uberti, etc.