ok, hopefully i'm in the right forum in the bbs for this.

mom's getting over her nearly lifelong fear/hatred of guns. she's got permit apps in with the pd, along with mine. she's 73. as it stands, i'm planning on getting her started pretty soon(before her permits come in i think) on basic lessons. here's my thing though. seeing as she's been fearful/hateful of guns for so long, i'm scared that the very first time she fires one, it's gonna scare her out of it again.

as it stands, i'm gonna go down to bobs little sport shop, with one of their trainers(he's got5 nra guys on staff i think). i REALLY like virtually everyone i've met there. but before i do, is there any recommendations here for someone that's good with working with old ladys that've been afraid of guns for so long?

i'm super proud of her for getting to this point, and i'dREALLY like to see her get to the point eventually where she might even fire my garand. :D

thanks guys!

Have her take an NRA 1st Steps class ( I recommend Gun For Hire ) . They will have a nice .22 for her to start on and depending on how she feels she can try a 9mm and a revolver . She'll get a thorough intro to safety , how handguns work , grip , breathing , stance ..all before she takes her 1st shots. It's a good investment :)

Sandy

my mom isnt quite that old but also in the same boat training wise. she grew up around guns and hunting so never had a fear or hatred but never really learned to shoot. ive slowly gotten her more interested ans shes even filled out the paperwork to get her fid. im hoping she wants to get some sort of pistol and a shotgun for hd.

I'm wondering, for a situation like this, if a revolver wouldn't be a better choice than a semi-automatic.

Seem easier to clean. Never have to remember if one is in chamber. Never wonder how many rounds are left in magazine. A cocked hammer is big sign gun is ready-to-go.

I am not partial to semiautomatics myself, and I don't have much experience with revolvers. But for a late adopter, they seem ideal. Learning to disassemble, clean and re-assemble my first few SAs (ruger 10/22 and mk3) took a few tries.

Then again, she might end up being partial to shotguns.

That is so cool man, I wish I can get my mama into our world. But only time will tell.

22 would be your best bet, then move up to .223 very little recoil as well. But very loud.

I'm very jealous.

it's taken nearly 30 years of me trying to get her to this point. she gets moody sometimes when i talk about it lately. but the REALLY cool thing is that just 1 year ago, she wouldn't even stay in the same room as a single shot pellet gun. she nearly ran away from my brother when he had one out. yet, from this past christmas, i have video of her firing my cousin's 16 year old sons airsoft tommy gun. and THE SMILE on her face, along with the "ooohhh that was fun!" comment is priceless to me.

it's taking awhile, but she's coming 'round.

I'm wondering, for a situation like this, if a revolver wouldn't be a better choice than a semi-automatic.

Seem easier to clean. Never have to remember if one is in chamber. Never wonder how many rounds are left in magazine. A cocked hammer is big sign gun is ready-to-go.

I am not partial to semiautomatics myself, and I don't have much experience with revolvers. But for a late adopter, they seem ideal. Learning to disassemble, clean and re-assemble my first few SAs (ruger 10/22 and mk3) took a few tries.

Then again, she might end up being partial to shotguns.

i was thinking the same for revolvers for her, but i'll listen to what her instructor says, and what she wants, if her instructor agrees. i can tell ya though.....i'm 99.9% sure she won't go for shotguns. an incident with a shotgun(from what my uncle/her brother told me) is the main reason she's been hateful/fearful of guns for all of this time. no one got hurt, but they could have, and this is what it did to her. that's also why i'm so dam proud of her for coming around to our side of the game. i'd still love her either way obviously.......but i can't tell you guys how proud i am, and how anxious i am to see her take her very first shots.