Sludog

Lever action .357 rifle...Which one to get?

I am looking to get a lever action rifle as my first long gun the next couple of weeks. I will be using it for range and target shooting in the woods only and will stick with iron sights and no plans to scope. I posted in the rimfire .22 section the same question and it seems that Henry was the overwhelming winner so far. I have been looking at Winchesters and Marlins and have just heard of Uberti rifles as well. Since .22 lr ammo is pretty much nonsexist as of late I was thinking of bumping up to 357/38 caliber lever action rifle so I can actually use the gun and buy ammo a little easier. (though not much) I am also probably going to get a revolver of the same caliber so this would make range trips a little less expensive and convenient. From what I hear is that 357 and 38 caliber ammo is very accurate when shooting. To my understanding the revolver and the rifle would use the same ammo. Correct? Do you guys think this caliber is overkill for paper shooting at the range?

Also if someone could please explain the low to higher calibers for rifles. What is next after .22 caliber ammo? I want a lower caliber and less recoil so I can learn to shoot and not get bounced around and have a broken shoulder.

I own 357 revolvers and am looking for a Lever action to match. I am pretty well set on a Win, but have a call into Henry to see if they will make a 1 off gun for me when these things slow down. the marlin seems to be a popular choice, but their quality control since being bought by Remington and moving factories is terrible.

I am looking to get a lever action rifle as my first long gun the next couple of weeks. I will be using it for range and target shooting in the woods only and will stick with iron sights and no plans to scope. I posted in the rimfire .22 section the same question and it seems that Henry was the overwhelming winner so far. I have been looking at Winchesters and Marlins and have just heard of Uberti rifles as well. Since .22 lr ammo is pretty much nonsexist as of late I was thinking of bumping up to 357/38 caliber lever action rifle so I can actually use the gun and buy ammo a little easier. (though not much) I am also probably going to get a revolver of the same caliber so this would make range trips a little less expensive and convenient. From what I hear is that 357 and 38 caliber ammo is very accurate when shooting. To my understanding the revolver and the rifle would use the same ammo. Correct? Do you guys think this caliber is overkill for paper shooting at the range?

Also if someone could please explain the low to higher calibers for rifles. What is next after .22 caliber ammo? I want a lower caliber and less recoil so I can learn to shoot and not get bounced around and have a broken shoulder.

aje4uvu7.jpg

Logically the bigger the cartridge the bigger the bang but in modern "normally" available rifle cartridge progression would be .22lr .22wmr .223/556 7.62xwhatever .308 .30-06?

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

lol i was just trying to find that pic to post it...

If you google bullet chart it's the first pic I have it saved on my phone it's such a good reference

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Lets confine this to lever action rifles - and even that is too big a topic. From the lowly .22 LR (or L, or S) you can move-up to the .22 Magnum (.22 WMR). You could also go to a smaller, albeit more powerful, .17 HMR round. And the last rimfire is new and I don't know if anyone is chambering a L/A rifle for it yet, but that would be the .17 Win Mag Rimfire.

Centerfire cartridges run the gamut. As small as a .218 Bee to as large as the .450 Marlin. And if you include guns like the BLR or Win Model 88, you get into the realm of cartridges normally reserved for B/A rifles.

The .38/.357 is a good choice. Availability of ammo, lack of recoil, commonality with handguns (if you happen to own a .38/.357 revolver - if not, this is a good excuse to get one). There are other revolver rounds that are used in L/A rifles - .44 Spl/.44 Mag /.45 Colt / .44-40 / .32-20 and probably others I don't know about. The .38/.357 is probably the best if paper punching is your game. Have fun and good luck on your search to find one.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I will preface my recommendations with the admission that I am an avowed Taurus basher.

I had owned a newer (i.e, Remington) Marlin in 357. It was nice looking but the action on it never smoothed up to my liking, and it would not feed longer handloaded 357 bullets well, so I sold it. I have heard much better things about the older Marlins, but never owned one so I cannot comment. I really wanted to like the Henry lever guns (made in Bayonne, New Jersey!) but I wasn't thrilled with that one either after handling it. Besides the flashy brass receiver not being to my taste, the gun just felt really heavy and awkward. Some folks like the long octagonal barrel on their carbine. For me, I like the short (16") barrel. It just feels handier and swings better for me.

If you read the reviews about the Henry's, it seems they have a bunch of MIM parts too, which I am never thrilled with.

The Winchesters are nice, but (in case you care) they are now built in Japan. They also have a few safety devices that, IMO, detract from the classic looks. And they are about $1000 to boot. I have head nice things about the Ubertis and Cimarrons, but I have never handled them. I do know that they are also pricey.

Now I get to the one I own, a Rossi 357 lever gun. It is a really short and handy gun.The lever action is really nice and smooth, and much more so since i did some work on it. There is a guy (www.stevesgunz.com) who only works on Rossi Lever guns, and sells the parts for you to do the work yourself. The gun is fun and fast and accurate and I can shoot any type of ammo through it without misfeeds. It has the classic looks, and (since I don't ever want to mount a scope on a 357) the top ejection is really cool. And the gun only cost $425 (I got a few months ago from TJ Sporting, a vendor here)

For me to endorse a Taurus (they own Rossi) is a big deal for me.

I shoot at Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol in Jackson. You are welcome to try it out some time.

Lets confine this to lever action rifles - and even that is too big a topic. From the lowly .22 LR (or L, or S) you can move-up to the .22 Magnum (.22 WMR). You could also go to a smaller, albeit more powerful, .17 HMR round. And the last rimfire is new and I don't know if anyone is chambering a L/A rifle for it yet, but that would be the .17 Win Mag Rimfire.

Centerfire cartridges run the gamut. As small as a .218 Bee to as large as the .450 Marlin. And if you include guns like the BLR or Win Model 88, you get into the realm of cartridges normally reserved for B/A rifles.

The .38/.357 is a good choice. Availability of ammo, lack of recoil, commonality with handguns (if you happen to own a .38/.357 revolver - if not, this is a good excuse to get one). There are other revolver rounds that are used in L/A rifles - .44 Spl/.44 Mag /.45 Colt / .44-40 / .32-20 and probably others I don't know about. The .38/.357 is probably the best if paper punching is your game. Have fun and good luck on your search to find one.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob...

That was the angle I was looking for if a got a 357 rifle. When the wife asks why I need a 357 revolver, I could tell her that it uses the same ammo and is a matching set. Kind of like when she buys a handbag and shoes that match. It may just work. :triniti:

I will preface my recommendations with the admission that I am an avowed Taurus basher.

I had owned a newer (i.e, Remington) Marlin in 357. It was nice looking but the action on it never smoothed up to my liking, and it would not feed longer handloaded 357 bullets well, so I sold it. I have heard much better things about the older Marlins, but never owned one so I cannot comment. I really wanted to like the Henry lever guns (made in Bayonne, New Jersey!) but I wasn't thrilled with that one either after handling it. Besides the flashy brass receiver not being to my taste, the gun just felt really heavy and awkward. Some folks like the long octagonal barrel on their carbine. For me, I like the short (16") barrel. It just feels handier and swings better for me.

If you read the reviews about the Henry's, it seems they have a bunch of MIM parts too, which I am never thrilled with.

The Winchesters are nice, but (in case you care) they are now built in Japan. They also have a few safety devices that, IMO, detract from the classic looks. And they are about $1000 to boot. I have head nice things about the Ubertis and Cimarrons, but I have never handled them. I do know that they are also pricey.

Now I get to the one I own, a Rossi 357 lever gun. It is a really short and handy gun.The lever action is really nice and smooth, and much more so since i did some work on it. There is a guy (www.stevesgunz.com) who only works on Rossi Lever guns, and sells the parts for you to do the work yourself. The gun is fun and fast and accurate and I can shoot any type of ammo through it without misfeeds. It has the classic looks, and (since I don't ever want to mount a scope on a 357) the top ejection is really cool. And the gun only cost $425 (I got a few months ago from TJ Sporting, a vendor here)

For me to endorse a Taurus (they own Rossi) is a big deal for me.

I shoot at Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol in Jackson. You are welcome to try it out some time.

Which Rossi model do you own? Is it the R92 or the Rio Grande?

Which Rossi model do you own? Is it the R92 or the Rio Grande?

I have the Rossi 92 with the big loop (which I recommend over small loop).

I will say that if you Google Rossi 92 vs Marlin 1894, most recommendations are for the Marlin. In my opinion though, these are based on what Marlin was and not what they are now. Like most things Remington has touched in the last few years (like Bushmaster, NEF), quality control has dropped significantly at Marlin. I have also read that the 1894 action is stronger than the 1892. For a rifle chambered in a pistol cartridge like 357 though, I am not sure it makes any difference. I have never read about a Rossi 92 in 357 going kaboom.

If you really like the 1894, keep an eye out an older one.

The isn't much of a good selection on gun broker. Are these guns just not popular or nobody like to sell them? Lots of older ones but nothing new in 357 at least not for a fair price.

PM Tony at TJ Sporting Arms. The lever guns are so far from tactical that I think they were spared the worst of the buying frenzy.

You could be looking for a while, depending on what you're willing to settle for. I agree with others, I like the older Marlin's, but most folks aren't giving them up easily.

They simply are not as wildly popular these days as 'glass and Kevlar stocked bolt-action rifles chambered in high-performance calibers that shoot like a taut string out to five hundred yards. The lever-action was always a sturdy entry-level rifle that was built to take abuse that just about anyone could afford.

I saw a like-new Winchester 94AE carbine in .44 Mag. at G&H a couple weeks ago. They wanted $900! It sold the moment they posted it on their website. In my travels upstate NY (rifle-hunting country) these items used to pepper the used racks in gunshops but they are bare today of such. The old thutty-thutty is still popular and plentiful if you look around, but that defeats the purpose of the chambering you are intent to find.

I would love a Henry 357 but I can't stand that you can't reload it as you shoot. You need to take the long tubular follower out to reload which is a deal-breaker for me.

I thought that Marlin was my answer but like many have already stated, they are not what they used to be.

Winchesters are made in Japan, PASS.

Umberti's are too damn expensive.

So that leaves the Rossi, which I'm starting to lean towards myself. It would make a perfect compliment to my 686 and K-38. Great thread, BTW.

I covet a lever gun that I can do this to. I want one in .38/.357 and one in .45-70. I have been trying to chase one down for 2 years.

2C81D489-A9DF-4272-91A3-7D13E145A6E2-10863-0000103FBEFA1851.jpg

Got a .450 Marlin that will be set up a little like that when I am done. Not sure what everything is on that to rail. I am guessing the think on the front may be an offset flaslight ? OR am I crazy? :crazy:

Here is a pic of the .450 before. The other works in progress are: Marlin .44 Magnum and a .22 LR Henry Carbine

mylevers.jpg

+1 for Lunker and Ray Ray on some excellent observations. A lot of lever actions need either action work or lots of break-in or both to make them smooth.

Best thing is get one in your hands and try it. Pistol grip versus straght. Short versus Long Barrel. Different mfg. have a different throw on the lever.

I would suggest starting off with a .22LR. to break yourself into the feel of a lever and if you want to stick with it. The ammo is out there. I just picked up a brick of std velocity for $29.99 a lot cheaper that any .38 or 357 per round even if you reload. A .22 rifle is not that big an investment and you can probably sell it for not too much of a loss when your find you perfect hangun/rifle match up. Of course there is a lot to be said for a rifle that goes bang instead of pop ! :rolleyes: Or even BOOM!

A couple of good forums to dig into and get more info from are:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

http://www.rimfirece...orums/index.php

Best of luck and if you want to get a feel for a carbine henry in .22LR I can bring it to the next shoot at Clinton

Just purchased very old Marlin 1984...paid boat load of money for it.. seems in pretty good condition...

my requirement was an ability to mount rail.. so basically Marlin was the only choice.

prices are ridiculous!! but i wanted one for so long.. that i said.. the heck with it and bought one..

Why doesnt mossberg step in and make one? Why didnt someone keep marlin going with theirs? Rossi/puma and henry basically it, till then check out ruger 77/357.

Mossberg has one, but it's in 30/30