Sludog

Lever action .357 rifle...Which one to get?

I would love a Henry 357 but I can't stand that you can't reload it as you shoot. You need to take the long tubular follower out to reload which is a deal-breaker for me.

I thought that Marlin was my answer but like many have already stated, they are not what they used to be.

Winchesters are made in Japan, PASS.

Umberti's are too damn expensive.

So that leaves the Rossi, which I'm starting to lean towards myself. It would make a perfect compliment to my 686 and K-38. Great thread, BTW.

I have often thought about buying the Henry but the tube load for large caliber has probably been what's turned me off. I saw a couple nice marlins but the Henry's are so nice looking. The Marlins of course were side loaders. I may get a henry in 22 WM.

I am looking to get a lever action rifle as my first long gun the next couple of weeks. I will be using it for range and target shooting in the woods only and will stick with iron sights and no plans to scope. I posted in the rimfire .22 section the same question and it seems that Henry was the overwhelming winner so far. I have been looking at Winchesters and Marlins and have just heard of Uberti rifles as well. Since .22 lr ammo is pretty much nonsexist as of late I was thinking of bumping up to 357/38 caliber lever action rifle so I can actually use the gun and buy ammo a little easier. (though not much) I am also probably going to get a revolver of the same caliber so this would make range trips a little less expensive and convenient. From what I hear is that 357 and 38 caliber ammo is very accurate when shooting. To my understanding the revolver and the rifle would use the same ammo. Correct? Do you guys think this caliber is overkill for paper shooting at the range?

Also if someone could please explain the low to higher calibers for rifles. What is next after .22 caliber ammo? I want a lower caliber and less recoil so I can learn to shoot and not get bounced around and have a broken shoulder.

FYI

One just came up for sale

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1132644/nj-rifles-for-sale--rossi-92----357-magnum-lever-action-rifle---stainless-steel-16----local-sale-only

If you wanna shoot .357's, go with Rossi......92's can be smoother than the 94's....

Marlin quality control is non existant....

Uberti's, expensive and the metal is not up to par to handle a steady diet of .357...toggle links and toggle pins will fail.

Winchester is currently made by Miroku in Japan, top notch quality, but made in Japan....

If you wanna shoot .357's, go with Rossi......92's can be smoother than the 94's....

Marlin quality control is non existant....

Uberti's, expensive and the metal is not up to par to handle a steady diet of .357...toggle links and toggle pins will fail.

Winchester is currently made by Miroku in Japan, top notch quality, but made in Japan....

Thanks for the advice. I was looking to shoot just .38 but may go with a .22 instead since I have been seeing the ammo at a few shops but it does go fast. Saw a Uberti silver boy .22 online I liked. I really like the side loading if the larger caliber lever action guns rather than the stock type loading the .22's use.

I did not know about the Uberti metal issues. I saw a used Uberti golden boy 1866 .38 for $800 but it seemed high because I saw a new one online for $925.

Just started checking out Rossi's a few days ago. They look really nice. Are they are made

overrseas as well?

The Winchesters are expensive so I will work my way up to one of those later on.

A quick look at centerfire lever-actions: http://www.chuckhawks.com/lever_action.htm

Early Winchester's pre-64 (but there are some post-64 years you should stay away from,) and Marlin's from the pre-Remington days are all worth the scratch and wait looking for. Any Browning (B92, 71, 86, 95) made by Miroku are all well made and worth the money. New Winchester's are well made and are also by Miroku but the tang safety designed by lawyers turns me off. Marlin's by design are the simplest to field strip, have the fewest parts, and are less complex in design than their Winchester counterparts.

I did not know about the Uberti metal issues. I saw a used Uberti golden boy 1866 .38 for $800 but it seemed high because I saw a new one online for $925.

Just started checking out Rossi's a few days ago. They look really nice. Are they are made

overrseas as well?

For the Uberti, $800 ??, depends on the condition, and if it has action work on it.

Rossi is Brazilian.

For the Uberti, $800 ??, depends on the condition, and if it has action work on it.

Rossi is Brazilian.

Yea $800 for the Uberti. I don't know if there was action work on it but it was in very good condition as far as I can see. I don't know how to check the internal parts. I thought $800 was a bit high. I would have walked out with if it was $600-$650.

Like I said the Rossi's are very nice looking guns but I have yet to hold one. How is the fit and finish on these? Aren't they made in Brazil?

The newer Marlins I looked at looked a little sloppy so I think I'll stay away from them.

Yea $800 for the Uberti. I don't know if there was action work on it but it was in very good condition as far as I can see. I don't know how to check the internal parts. I thought $800 was a bit high. I would have walked out with if it was $600-$650.

Oh, it's in a store? They won't come down in price, unless it's maybe on consignment....if not, they seller already got his money for it. If it has action work done to it, you can tell by working the lever.....it will be REAL smooth. Untouched the action will be quite rough....but that can be fixed with a new hammer spring.

http://www.armslist....local-sale-only

Rossi .357 for sale FTF in NJ

Did you miss my previous post?

Saw it thanks. Very nice and would buy Problem is that I am short on cash the next couple weeks. I need to pay with plastic or wait til the end of the month. Probably be gone by then.

I just purchased a Marlin 336 NIB $450. I have been looking for a Win 94 to have the 'best of' in lever actions, but I can't find anything for less than $1K. What's up with that? Are they really that good?

May just have to go with a Rossi..

Local shop by me has a used Winchester 30-30 for sale. I think it is $600. I don't remember what model it is but I think they have it listed on gunbroker. Shop is called PK Firearms in Manahawkin. Their website has their gunbroker listings. Take a look.

I just purchased a Marlin 336 NIB $450. I have been looking for a Win 94 to have the 'best of' in lever actions, but I can't find anything for less than $1K. What's up with that? Are they really that good?

May just have to go with a Rossi..

The pre-64 flavor of Winchesters continue to go up in price. There was a time a few years ago they could be had for $400. Now a post-64 model will run north of that number up to about $600. Anything pre-64'ish are being driven up in price by Winchester collectors. The same can be said for pre-64 Win. Model 70's, Model 21's, Model 12's, Model 71's, Model 92's, Model 64's, etc.

I have a Henry big boy in .357 with the Octogon barrel, the weight for me is not an issue Im a bigger guy and can handle shooting and carring it with no trouble. It's extremely accurate, the action is very smooth once you get the hang of it and it's never had an issue as of yet. I think the fit and finish is a step above the rest in it's price class. The only draw back is that it's tube fed but It was a small trade off for me.

Albycleaning033.jpg