MosinRob

Storing guns barrel down

No, just be careful not to damage the crown of the barrel.

Some guns SHOULD be stored muzzle down, such as all muzzle-loaders to prevent oil migration in the breech plug. Also, it is reccomended to store 1919s muzzle down due to the weight on the pistol grip potentially cracking the buffer tube.

"Some guns SHOULD be stored muzzle down, such as all muzzle-loaders to prevent oil migration in the breech plug."

Really? I've been shooting muzzle-loaders for 20 years and have never heard of this. Not saying it's wrong, and I'm always willing to learn. Anyone else hear of this?

BTW - if you look at amories at places like Williamsburg, muskets are stored muzzle up.

Maybe horizontal is best of all, if we are splitting hairs here.

And if we are going to get really technical, horizontal and upside down, to keep oil out of the stock if it seeps due to gravity.

Since i cant help myself, i would point out that best of all is storage in a zero gravity environment!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

"Some guns SHOULD be stored muzzle down, such as all muzzle-loaders to prevent oil migration in the breech plug."

Really? I've been shooting muzzle-loaders for 20 years and have never heard of this. Not saying it's wrong, and I'm always willing to learn. Anyone else hear of this?

BTW - if you look at amories at places like Williamsburg, muskets are stored muzzle up.

After I clean my muzzleloaders I store them barrel down on a towel so excess drains out, but only for 2-3 days. Then I turn back up.

Police had problems during the 80s with shotguns racked in the muzzle-down position in their cars. With all the bouncing around, it cause powder to migrate past the cup/wadding into the shot over time. And there were incidents of misfires at inopportune times.

From what I read back in the day. Don't know or care if it was true or still is, but there it is for your consideration.

I don't know, sounds like you'd be using the wrong kind of oil, or too much of it if your concerned about it running into the stock or breech plugs.

There was some truth to this. Mostly seen with older guns (you may be religious and use oil sparingly but you didn't know how the previous owner/owners cared for it and lubed it.) Guns with two-piece stocks where inletting was tight in the tang area and where wrist areas were thin were the most prone to damage. Too much oil softened the wood, or if it was untreated swelled when moisture came in contact with the wood. One-piece stocks for rifles fared a lot better.

I was taught by a friend that is a gunsmith and he said after cleaning and oiling put a rag on the ground and store the gun upside down for 3 days prior to putting in the safe. Although you dont put much oil on you will be amazed when you see what ends up on the rag. After cleaning if you store muzzle up, any excess oil on the gun drips down the reveiver and migrates toward the tang. Over time this oil will impregnate the wood around the tang and bedding and cause what is commonly called "oil rot." Walk around a gunshow and look at the old used guns and you will easily identify it, it looks like the wood around the receiver is darker than the rest of the stock. That is the oil that soaked into the wood. I set them muzzle down for a few days before putting them in the safe, it might be a little overboard but who cares, it doesn't hurt anything.