MPA

100 people answer in 120 ways. What makes a 30 round mag NJ legal???

I seriously doubt that some LEO, range officer, FBI, Homeland Security or tin foil mall cop is going to beat the snot out of a magazine to get the floor plate off to see if they can get it to hold more than the 15-round block will allow. Seems to me to be a bit of analysis paralysis. Epoxy the bottom of the spring retainer to the floor plate, pin it and call it a day. I'm reasonably certain that big brother won't be watching at the moment you're blocking your mag.

I seriously doubt that some LEO, range officer, FBI, Homeland Security or tin foil mall cop is going to beat the snot out of a magazine to get the floor plate off to see if they can get it to hold more than the 15-round block will allow. Seems to me to be a bit of analysis paralysis. Epoxy the bottom of the spring retainer to the floor plate, pin it and call it a day. I'm reasonably certain that big brother won't be watching at the moment you're blocking your mag.

Right that's the point... The point is just a pin... Jus a rivet... In itself is easily reversed... You start getting into welding... Epoxy... Etc... You are far less likely to end up with something easily reversed...

Simple enough of a step to create the image of a more permanent modification..

Ok, lets say you buy the magazineblock.com locking plate with block and swap them. Is there a water soluable glue that you can put on the floor plate so it can be removed in order to clean the mags? This way you have it blocked with a device made for blocking AND you have the glue holding the floorplate in place for some extra security from over eager leo and prosecutors?.

I HATE paying for mags, extra no less due to the conversion that are ruined due to epoxying the floorplate on.

Ok, lets say you buy the magazineblock.com locking plate with block and swap them. Is there a water soluable glue that you can put on the floor plate so it can be removed in order to clean the mags? This way you have it blocked with a device made for blocking AND you have the glue holding the floorplate in place for some extra security from over eager leo and prosecutors?.

I HATE paying for mags, extra no less due to the conversion that are ruined due to epoxying the floorplate on.

This is the only real answer...

Large cap mags are banned in NJ.... You can't have them...

The only way a large cap mag stops being large cap is through a permanent modification...

If you have a large cap mag that has not been permanently modified you run the risk of being the test case...

Best case scenario you spend a bunch fighting the system and get some clarity through winning...

Worst case scenario you lose... And find yourself with serious problems..

No one can say its this or that because there is no case to reference... The chances of ending up in that situation are extremely slim... But living in a very anti gun state makes the situation possible... Wrong cop... Wrong range officer... Wrong day... It could definitely happen... As others pointed out they have had mags checked..

Has "anyone" been prosecuted for a pinned mag? If the answer is NO why is everyone so Dam nervous?

Cuz not many people want to be bubbas cell mate or pay hefty legal fees.

Goes to show you that most gun owners are law abiding citizens doesn't it? Even if the laws are retarded.

there is also a difference between pin and rivet. pin can be removed with relative ease... while Rivet has to be drilled out, hole deburred and so one..

I feel relatively safe with my riveted mags and stocks... but yes, noone wants to be a test case.

what make me feel safer is the support of our community. I feel there will be plenty of support available for who ever finds himself in unfortunate situation of being a first test case.

Has "anyone" been prosecuted for a pinned mag? If the answer is NO why is everyone so Dam nervous?

im not nervous.. I dont even live in NJ anymore...

This is what I believe is happening..

the state makes a law... and gives an example of what they mean about the law... the intention (if you want to comply) is very easy to understand... and very easy to satisfy...

but we find that explanation ridiculous.. and infringing... so we ignore it.. and interpret it how we want to..

a rivet might do the job... but so might a pin.. and so might some duct tape..

the reality is with no case to look at.. you really have no idea how the court case would go..

and due to that you are left with the law and intention as it is written...

like it or not.. the intention is crystal clear.. and that is to deny you a large cap mag.. or a mag that can be readily made into a large cap mag.. that is clearly the intention...

as I and others have stated... very unlikely you will become the test case...

but less likely if you just comply with the state as they want....

im not nervous.. I dont even live in NJ anymore...

This is what I believe is happening..

the state makes a law... and gives an example of what they mean about the law... the intention (if you want to comply) is very easy to understand... and very easy to satisfy...

but we find that explanation ridiculous.. and infringing... so we ignore it.. and interpret it how we want to..

a rivet might do the job... but so might a pin.. and so might some duct tape..

the reality is with no case to look at.. you really have no idea how the court case would go..

and due to that you are left with the law and intention as it is written...

like it or not.. the intention is crystal clear.. and that is to deny you a large cap mag.. or a mag that can be readily made into a large cap mag.. that is clearly the intention...

as I and others have stated... very unlikely you will become the test case...

but less likely if you just comply with the state as they want....

cool, now define comply LOL! If I have a mag with rivets and I don't own tools to remove them it's pretty dam permanent to me

cool, now define comply LOL! If I have a mag with rivets and I don't own tools to remove them it's pretty dam permanent to me

if they are aluminum I bet you could get them out with a butter knife... but at this point we are beating it to death..

the state says what it says.. and you just have to go from there..

Let me be the first to say it. None of us have any idea. Which is the point. Maybe it wont be issue soon. If they go to 10, I understand they may specifically outlaw modified mags now that magpul has the gen3 10 rounder. Then all these mags that we bought from midwest px and elsewhere will have to go to Colorado. Think everyone will get thier $50 back?

large capacity is a legal term that the state of NJ defines.. that is why I use it..

No offense intended Vlad, I'm just tired of all the bs in this state. I personally don't care what NJ calls it, all that matters is that the mag doesn't hold more than 15 rnds in this state. Just because a mag does hold more than our mandated limit, does not make it high capacity just because they call it such, its politicized propaganda that the average gun owner in NJ has been brainwashed to believe. In the rest of the free parts of America a 20 or 30 round mag is what comes "standard" as the system was intended.

I have a question to add to this what exactly makes a 30 or 20 or what ever size mag that size. Say i own a 30 round shell, spring, follower, etc but its not assembled is that OK or can i not have any of it if that's the case then you should never be allowed to have any mag that could ever physically hold more then 15 rounds. for example there are plenty of 15 round pmags that i could cut the plate off and some how affix a new base plate, remove what ever block i used and put it back together somehow now its not a 15 round mag any more. just wondering everyone's thoughts.

I have a question to add to this what exactly makes a 30 or 20 or what ever size mag that size. Say i own a 30 round shell, spring, follower, etc but its not assembled is that OK or can i not have any of it if that's the case then you should never be allowed to have any mag that could ever physically hold more then 15 rounds. for example there are plenty of 15 round pmags that i could cut the plate off and some how affix a new base plate, remove what ever block i used and put it back together somehow now its not a 15 round mag any more. just wondering everyone's thoughts.

If you have all the parts to build a hi cap mag then you are breaking the law even if its not assembled.

Like i said so then what makes a 30 round mag that has been "Pined & Welded" no longer a 30 round mag the spring, follower, shell are all meant for more then 15 rounds so why is that ok but disassembled parts are not. Its like a AR15 the lower is not whats illegal its when its assembled that the total of the features are. So why would a disassembled mag be any different it has the same possibility of being a 30 rounder as a striped lower does of being an illegal rifle when put together.

, I understand they may specifically outlaw modified mags now that magpul has the gen3 10 rounder.

what one manufacture does in regards to production has next to no impact on what states decide... laws are not made exclusively for AR15s... there are thousands of other guns and magazine combination... if they outlaw modified ones.. it is because they feel like it..

No offense intended Vlad, I'm just tired of all the bs in this state. I personally don't care what NJ calls it, all that matters is that the mag doesn't hold more than 15 rnds in this state. Just because a mag does hold more than our mandated limit, does not make it high capacity just because they call it such, its politicized propaganda that the average gun owner in NJ has been brainwashed to believe. In the rest of the free parts of America a 20 or 30 round mag is what comes "standard" as the system was intended.

no offense taken.. what you are not understanding it the literal term "high capacity magazine" exists in NJ law.. therefore when discussing this it is relevant and the term should be used.. because the term means something specific.. if you hate NJ.. then leave.. it's what I did and I dont regret it at all.. in PA law.. the word "large capacity magazine" does not exist.. and you can use whatever magazine you like..

Like i said so then what makes a 30 round mag that has been "Pined & Welded" no longer a 30 round mag the spring, follower, shell are all meant for more then 15 rounds so why is that ok but disassembled parts are not. Its like a AR15 the lower is not whats illegal its when its assembled that the total of the features are. So why would a disassembled mag be any different it has the same possibility of being a 30 rounder as a striped lower does of being an illegal rifle when put together.

no one knows the answer to your question other than the fact that the state has already made the statement that a large capacity mag is still a large capacity mag unless it has been permanently modified...

a disassembled large capacity mag still possesses the ability to function as a large capacity mag.. disassembly is a temporary state and IMO does not satisfy the law..

to understand the point of the law makes everything else very clear... the point of the law is to deny you access to large capacity mags...so that is why the ONLY way you can have a large cap mag is to modify it in such a way that the change is "permanent" the reason this is OK is because you have done something to the mag to prevent it from ever working again as a large capacity mag..

if you walk away from all the splitting hairs... that is the scope of the law..

to stop you from having in whole or parts.. a magazine that still has the capability to run more than 15 rounds..

So why would a disassembled mag be any different it has the same possibility of being a 30 rounder as a striped lower does of being an illegal rifle when put together.

because a large capacity magazine can only be a large capacity magazine unless it is permanently modified to not be... my assumption is it would go something like this..

prosecutor explains how they are illegal...

he then holds up the parts and explains how the mag was simply apart for service as is common with magazines..

he then snaps it together in 3 seconds with no tools..

he then feeds in 15+ rounds...

your defense is what?

a sawed off shotgun can't fire without a trigger.. but I bet if they found one in your house without a trigger you would go to jail..

If you have all the parts to build a hi cap mag then you are breaking the law even if its not assembled.

Where do you get this info, is there a link to it, or some reference you can provide. Not being wise guy, truly want to find some writing or reference to back that up, or find out there is none. Looking for definitive answers in writing from source. However there is a vacuum of direction from state as to specifics.

To break the law, you would have to be doing the opposite of the direction in a particular statuate. Whate law are you refering to that contains that wording, is there one?

What if I don't have the spring but have everything else?

Just my opinion, but I think the part that really matters is the box(body). If you can't get more than 15 rnds into it with all the other parts installed then it is a legal good to go "reduced capacity magazine"

To break the law, you would have to be doing the opposite of the direction in a particular statuate. Whate law are you refering to that contains that wording, is there one?

you have gotten the answer a thousand times over....

in NJ they are illegal PERIOD... you cant have them.. it is a banned item...

the only provision being you can have one if it is permanently modded.. really not trying to be difficult.. but you can ask the same question a thousand times.. the answer is going to continue to be the same..

they are banned.. having it taken apart does not change what it is...it is STILL a gun magazine...

if you want to rest your freedom on the argument that a disassembled 30 round magazine is somehow not a 30 round magazine you can by all means try that..

I would not take that chance since a fully functioning magazine is built to disassemble to clean and service.. having it taken apart is a temporary condition.. and as pointed out about 10 times.. the state has stated that a temporary change to a large capacity magazine does not make it not a large capacity magazine..