MPA

100 people answer in 120 ways. What makes a 30 round mag NJ legal???

We are not whipping a dead horse. I am trying to figure out specifically how a mag needs to be modified by a modifier outside the state so it is legal in the state once modified (permanently) I find nowhere in the law at all any mention of disassembled parts, I find no mention of what permanent mods are within the law. A block of wood or a pin????? What does that mean?

Are there any written directives, instructions, decisions, etc other than what keeps getting posted over and over which everyone has read over and over.

ARE MIDWEST PX MODIFIED MAGS LEGAL. THEY ADVERTISE THEM AS JERSEY LEGAL. OR AT LEAST MANY DISTRIBUTORS DO. Is thier method legal? If it is, why are some FFLS willing to sell them completed but they are not willing to modify thier own using the same processs?

I am trying to get to the answer, and I dont think there is one. I fear this entire thing, as far as modifying mags is an educated guess at what the state will accept , at some point. DARE WE ASK THEM TO CLARIFY?

If I take what you have said to heart, they are not legal. But how do we absolutley acertain that. Does anyone have a link, website, or any informational guidlines from the state other than the one or two ambiguous meaninglesss sentences they provide. Because according to those sentences, it is absolutley impossible to definitivley make a decision as to what will be satisfactory, and what will not.

There are hundreds of companies shipping rebuild kits into NJ and saying they are legal. There are several companies making different types of modified mags and either calling them legal or having thier distributors do it for them. Are all of these people taking a shot in the dark. Is there not some form of guidance they are using to make these decisions? Do you understanmd my cunundrum?

We are not whipping a dead horse. Yes, you are. I am trying to figure out specifically how a mag needs to be modified by a modifier outside the state so it is legal in the state once modified (permanently) It can not be reverted back to hold more than 15 rounds. I find nowhere in the law at all any mention of disassembled parts, And you won't. I find no mention of what permanent mods are within the law. And you won't. A block of wood or a pin????? What does that mean? Plain in language, but not legal per law.

Are there any written directives, instructions, decisions, etc other than what keeps getting posted over and over which everyone has read over and over. No, you ask here and are given answers, then you continue to ask.

ARE MIDWEST PX MODIFIED MAGS LEGAL. I personally have never seen one. THEY ADVERTISE THEM AS JERSEY LEGAL. OR AT LEAST MANY DISTRIBUTORS DO. Who is a distributor for them? Is thier method legal? Unknown. If it is, why are some FFLS willing to sell them completed but they are not willing to modify thier own using the same processs? Time is money.

I am trying to get to the answer, and I dont think there is one. Not the one you want. I fear this entire thing, as far as modifying mags is an educated guess at what the state will accept , at some point. DARE WE ASK THEM TO CLARIFY? It has been clarify by them.

If I take what you have said to heart, they are not legal. What? But how do we absolutley acertain that. Does anyone have a link, website, or any informational guidlines from the state other than the one or two ambiguous meaninglesss sentences they provide. Insert dead horse here. Because according to those sentences, it is absolutley impossible to definitivley make a decision as to what will be satisfactory, and what will not. Maybe to you.

There are hundreds of companies shipping rebuild kits into NJ and saying they are legal. Really? Hundreds? There are several companies making different types of modified mags and either calling them legal or having thier distributors do it for them. Are all of these people taking a shot in the dark. These are non-NJ sellers that don't have to follow NJ laws Is there not some form of guidance they are using to make these decisions? Possibly their knowledge. Do you understanmd my cunundrum? NOPE.

BTW, you made at least 25 grammatical errors. Use spell check as someone might think you are a 10 year old.

We are not whipping a dead horse. I am trying to figure out specifically how a mag needs to be modified by a modifier outside the state so it is legal in the state once modified (permanently) I find nowhere in the law at all any mention of disassembled parts, I find no mention of what permanent mods are within the law. A block of wood or a pin????? What does that mean?

Are there any written directives, instructions, decisions, etc other than what keeps getting posted over and over which everyone has read over and over.

ARE MIDWEST PX MODIFIED MAGS LEGAL. THEY ADVERTISE THEM AS JERSEY LEGAL. OR AT LEAST MANY DISTRIBUTORS DO. Is thier method legal? If it is, why are some FFLS willing to sell them completed but they are not willing to modify thier own using the same processs?

I am trying to get to the answer, and I dont think there is one. I fear this entire thing, as far as modifying mags is an educated guess at what the state will accept , at some point. DARE WE ASK THEM TO CLARIFY?

If I take what you have said to heart, they are not legal. But how do we absolutley acertain that. Does anyone have a link, website, or any informational guidlines from the state other than the one or two ambiguous meaninglesss sentences they provide. Because according to those sentences, it is absolutley impossible to definitivley make a decision as to what will be satisfactory, and what will not.

There are hundreds of companies shipping rebuild kits into NJ and saying they are legal. There are several companies making different types of modified mags and either calling them legal or having thier distributors do it for them. Are all of these people taking a shot in the dark. Is there not some form of guidance they are using to make these decisions? Do you understanmd my cunundrum?

you say... what does NJ think about 15+ mags...

I give you specifically what they think as they wrote it....

it is clear as can be...

yet you keep asking?

This is the STATES definition of an illegal large capacity magazine (not mine)

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly

therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."

a large capacity magazine is illegal...

it is ONLY legal if it is PERMANENTLY modified to NOT hold more than 15...

I am truthfully not sure what else to tell you... you say "other than the one or two ambiguous meaningless...." it is not meaningless as it is the state clarifying what the intention of the law is... and it is to screw you out of large capacity mags... look if you think a 100 round drum is legal with the follower removed... then hey order a case of them... I am simply telling you what I think... an FFL is simply telling you what he thinks... the law is there to read... and while sometimes it is not clear.. I am not sure how much more clear this could be...

large capacity mag - illegal

large capacity mag temporarily reduced capacity - illegal

large capacity mag permanently modded to be not large capacity - legal

what part is unclear to you?

I don't get how there isn't one definition for a high capacity magazine. The fact that each state has a different definition might be some use to us someday. Besides the fact that high capacity means standard capacity to most of the country and world for that matter.

But Vlad where are you getting this definition from per the NJ State Police info Title 13 Chapter 54 Section 1.2 sub section 4 paragraph 7 states very clear only the first part of your statement it says nothing about what is allowed with regards to modification Is this some letter from the AG's office if so can someone please provide a link.

But Vlad where are you getting this definition from per the NJ State Police info Title 13 Chapter 54 Section 1.2 sub section 4 paragraph 7 states very clear only the first part of your statement it says nothing about what is allowed with regards to modification Is this some letter from the AG's office if so can someone please provide a link.

The state police don't make laws although they wish they could. Secondly, you really dont want our anti-gun attorney general giving opinions on how to make a mag legal.

Yea, you are. In simple terms, the law states that magazines that hold more than 15 rounds are illegal. While I'm kinda stupid, and my interpretation may be simple, I would imagine that a 30-round magazine permanently-altered to hold 15 rounds is legal. The law doesn't tell you what that means. Some would interpret it to mean that if you beat the crap out of the magazine to dismantle it, and it renders the magazine unusuable, it would meet the challenge. How far they would go to demonstrate that your 30/15 magazine could be disassembled and used as a 30-round magazine is anybody's guess. The answer is, there are no answers (at least by statute).

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly

therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

BTW, you made at least 25 grammatical errors. Use spell check as someone might think you are a 10 year old.

Pk90- i was 10 a very long time ago my friend. Id pay a million dollars to be it again for just one day. Enjoy the beautiful weather my friend. :)

The best way to look at it is do you want to pay a lawyer to be making all of the arguments people are making here in court for $250 an hour, to a judge who doesn't care, while you are held in prison or out on bail and unemployed because you lost your job because you were arrested?

Because if the answer to the above is no, then dont buy any magazine that could be large enough to fit more than fifteen.

If you can live with the scenario in the first paragraph above, have fun with your rivets, pins, etc. Or better yet forget about ruining perfectly good mags with modifications of questionable legality and just bury them somewhere or keep them out of state instead of destroying them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone here ever had their magazines inspected by someone of "authority" to ensure that they were in fact permanently modified?

I have been inspected by a police Sgt and my magazine had a wooden block in it with a rivet on the baseplate thus being considered permanently modified.

I have been inspected by a police Sgt and my magazine had a wooden block in it with a rivet on the baseplate thus being considered permanently modified.

Where did this "inspection" take place? Are you a leo? Did you voluntarily ask if your mags were in fact legal?

I hate to break it to you but the comment of one police officer in one instance does not set any universal standard...

the law is simply not clear in reference to what is permanent.... it IS clear on what is not permanent..