Krdshrk

Pick Which Shirt I'll wear to Jury Duty!

Which Shirt should I wear?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which Shirt should I wear?

• Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Guns Don't Kill People, Crazy People Kill People (Sometimes they use knives)
    • A Long Time Ago...
    • Keep Calm and Kill Zombies
    • Eats, Shoots, and Leaves
    • NJGF T-Shirt
    • Other

I'm just going to throw out there I've been wearing sneakers and t-shirts and jeans. If'I'm going to be sitting there for eight hours and only getting paid $5.00 per day, the judge can lick my left nut if he doesn't like what I'm wearing. Anyway, wear what you want, jury duty/civic duty is not that serious.

So the latest trick in Mercer county is, you get called for jury duty (say, week of April 8th).

Friday afternoon you call in, great, your number is way high and you're excused Monday, and judging by the numbers they're asking to show up, you may not get called all week.

Saturday April 6th you get a notice in the mail that your service is not needed now and will be rescheduled for another time!

Just happened to my wife.

#2 or #5.

#2 will get you out of jury duty quickly.

I have an extreme shooters, zombie eradication shirt.... neon green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agree with #2 - this is a position statement that makes clear your bias to any lawyer. Zombie shirt would be fine too. A psychiatrist once told me that he got out of jury duty by talking about his favorite hobbies: sport shooting and watching horror movies.

Be careful. Around here the letter you get warns you about the kind of clothes you can wear. The judge can either make sure you spend the entire day waiting, send you home and tell you to change and come back tomorrow or a combination of the two. Around here they actually send the sheriff to your house if you do not show up but then again the population is not as great as it is up there.

I agree with those that say dress appropriately. That doesn't indicate any specific dress requirement, but wearing a t-shirt with your pro-gun opinion on it isn't that. Unfortunately, people get convicted by juries for stupid things all the time because people don't take jury duty seriously. So you end up with a bunch of morons as jury members because people who could actually make a good judgment find ways to get turned away...like you will if you dress like that.

I'm just going to throw out there I've been wearing sneakers and t-shirts and jeans. If'I'm going to be sitting there for eight hours and only getting paid $5.00 per day, the judge can lick my left nut if he doesn't like what I'm wearing. Anyway, wear what you want, jury duty/civic duty is not that serious.

The guy who may go to prison for 5,10, or 20 years sure take the jury seriously. So do victims who've been robbed, beaten, or raped.

I suppose some of you guys who throw around jury nullification would feel different if you were a victim.

Why don't you tell the judge to screw off while you're at it. Let's see where that gets you.

Being that someone mentioned it, a LEO does not automatically "get off".

The judicial system is far from perfect but it is not a joke.

The guy who may go to prison for 5,10, or 20 years sure take the jury seriously. So do victims who've been robbed, beaten, or raped.

I suppose some of you guys who throw around jury nullification would feel different if you were a victim.

Why don't you tell the judge to screw off while you're at it. Let's see where that gets you.

I have only ever heard jury nullification thrown around in the context of "victimless" crimes like prostitution or pot possession, etc. Are there other instances I haven't read about?

As part of Jury selection, they've asked me twice if I had any bumperstickers. I didn't . The guy with an NRA bumper sticker was dismissed by the defense immediately.

I spent 5 weeks on a murder trial.

They did this for jury duty in Freehold also. Everyone was asked if they had any bumper stickers and what was on it...

I actually don't mind serving. Never got one, but my wife got two summonses.

However I may have to try to get out of it if I am called because I have 3 young children and it would seriously screw up our child care arrangements. My wife can't do it alone because she doesn't drive much and not in the city either. It's a massive inconvenience for some and I wish there were a better way to do it. So for that reason I'll see if I could get myself excused.

Pay may also be an issue for some. My company pays full salary but not all of them do.

They did this for jury duty in Freehold also. Everyone was asked if they had any bumper stickers and what was on it...

I must have the most boring cars on Earth. None of mine have bumper stickers... In fact I just have one sticker on my car and that's from my alma mater (NYU). No pro gun stickers at all, don't want any unnecessary questions during a traffic stop.

I have only ever heard jury nullification thrown around in the context of "victimless" crimes like prostitution or pot possession, etc. Are there other instances I haven't read about?

Victimless crimes is not the primary reason for jury nullification. The conviction rate for felonies in the Bronx is in the mid 40s and only about 20% of those get jail time. The US Attorney's Office has a conviction rate overall of over 90% and about 80% get jail time. This is not because the Bronx DA is incompetent or the cops are making bum arrests. The average citizen in the Bronx knows that if they stay out of Rufus the drug dealer's business he will stay out of theirs. They are concerned about retaliation. If you blanket support jury nullification you're supporting letting many "genuine" criminals go free.

You can say you're for jury nullification for "victimless" crimes like simple possession and prostitution. The fact is virtually none of these crimes are heard in front of a jury, usually just heard in front of a judge. You can dream about using jury nullification for one of these crimes but you'll be dreaming a long time before you see one in front of a jury.

For me, it's a privilege to serve on a jury. I can imagine being wrongfully accused and needing the most rational and intelligent peers to judge my fate.

Your idea is noble but the fact is very, very few defendants are wrongfully accused. Does it happen? Yes, but prosecutors on all levels are way too busy to take iffy cases to trial.

I wore my Lehigh Sporting Clays shirt to Jury Duty in Trenton a few weeks ago. It was the case against James Sodano, Google-it, you'll see it. I was excused the second day of jury selection. The case lasted over two weeks. He will spend the rest of his life in prison, found guilty on all three counts. I actually wanted to be on it, but knew damn well they would toss me because I was "gun-friendly". We had a three page questionnaire to answer before the Judge, Prosecution, and Defense Attorneys. I could post the questions for those that may want to see them. When we got to organizations I belong too, started with NHRA, then NRA, NJ2AS, that was it. The Prosecutors rolled their eyes, Judge had me sit in the Jury Box, and within three more interviewees I was dismissed. Now I get to go to New Brunswick on the 16th, a day before you Nick. Just because I did my time for Federal Jury Duty, it has nothing to do with our local Jury Duty...............Maybe I will wear my Lehigh shirt again!

Now I get to go to New Brunswick on the 16th, a day before you Nick. Just because I did my time for Federal Jury Duty, it has nothing to do with our local Jury Duty...............Maybe I will wear my Lehigh shirt again!

First time I got jury duty I got it for both Federal and Local in the same year less than 6 months apart...

I have jury duty 4/23... I'm kinda looking foward to it TBH. Coincidentally, it came in the mail after I sent mass letters to my Representatives regarding either the DHS or the fed/state gun law proposals. I like the "Keep Calm (...)" shirt as it makes a subtle point, while the "Guns Don't Kill People (...)" shirt is a little distasteful, keeping in mind the poor people who've recently lost their lives as a result of those deranged psychopaths. To each their own.

Avoid getting any contempt of court charges. I suggest that you do not disrespect the judge.

That being said, I personally know someone who was asked during jury selection by the judge if he would be able to reach a verdict and find someone guilty. He answered "yes", but then asked if he could ask the judge a question. With a smirk the judge allowed it. He asked that if the jury did come to a guilty verdict would the judge then actually give the guilty person a suitable sentence. He was dismissed by the judge, but made to show up the rest of the week and sit there all day in the lounge as an "alternate" juror.