BlueLineFish

New vehicle for 3 small kids

As you may know I have twin boys on he way as well as a 2yo. My wife is going to need another vehicle. We are trying to avoid the minivan because there are none we like the looks of. Looking for an AWD SUV with 2nd row captains chairs, third row and still has room in the back. Any info and pics would be greatly appreciated. Also is any members work at dealers feel free to chime in and I would like to support a forum member

Joe,

I was in the same situation a few years back. We had a 2 year old son and twin girls on the way. My wife hated the idea of a mini van and we got a Pilot. It has worked out ok but, the mini van would make things alot easier. I don't know of any suv's that offer captains chairs in the second row. I can tell you getting a sleeping kid out of the middle car seat without waking him up is a challenge. Take another look at the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. The Toyota is also available with AWD.

We have a Honda Pilot and Sunshine Radian Carseats... 3 across. Also, we also have a mini-van. My wife also did not want a mini-van, however, it is much more convenient for small children and she accepted our fate. The setup I had with 3 kids (a set of twins also) and a 2 1/2 year old was a Baby Jogger Double Stroller and the mini-van. The Pilot is just a backup car that can transport the whole family. We left the passenger side middle row seat out and put two in the back third row and just one in the position in the 2nd row behind the driver. We were also able to put the full-size double stroller behind the third row with it standing up, and yes, I highly recommend a Baby Jogger Double (and not the mini). For us, it just fit. With that setup, you don't have to worry about side doors when they start getting more mobile getting between one of the kids and you. Sliding doors are much easier and safer, and you can "herd" them all into the mini-van on the passenger side and then get them in their seats... Best option would be a Honda Odyssey, and on a budget the Kia mini-van is top notch. If you still want to go the other route, then I would strongly suggest a Honda pilot (as others have suggested) that will fit up to (3) Sunshine Radian carseats in the second row. However, I recommend that setup for kids over 5 and the mini-van for under 5. The mini-van is infinitely better for kids under five! Especially when you have twins (in my opinion), and/or with rear-facing car seats, getting sleeping kids out, etc. And, you can always put the other seat back in in a pinch to transport Grandma or for you to sit back there while your wife drives, etc...

The safety, etc. that it affords is tops. It is really hard to put 3 kids into a 2nd row of a vehicle and you cannot keep your eyes on all easily when doing it. It is much better to get them all in the van and then get them into their seats, especially with a two-year old as well... This works out especially well if you are by yourself with the kids and it gives you a place to change diapers, etc.

Multiples are a handful! And, ANYTHING that can make your job easier is worth it.

I would also recommend getting carseats and stroller before you purchase the vehicle and bringing them along for the ride to make sure everything fits.

I also recommend the double Snap and Go stroller for the the babies when they are really small and to have the right infant carseats that can be used with it. If you want a stroller as not so much a commuter stroller, but to walk to places from home, the pricy Valco with the extra toddler seat might work. I had one for a short amount of time, but it was too heavy and hard for my wife to manage and it took to much room when folded up to fit behind the seats in car. These are pricy and huge, but if you get something like the huge Toyota, etc., it might work for you.

Get the minivan...they come with a vascectomy. Ask me how I know. : (

They aren't too bad. They look more like SUVs now.

I generally don't understand why a lot of guys hate them, but I like ours (2013 Sienna) a lot. It's fun to drive with a 266HP v6 and sequential sport shift. It's not a sports car but it is quick.

You get the power slide doors which you don't get in a SUV. Toyota has AWD or VDIM in 2WD which makes driving on snow a piece of cake.

They are also very roomy inside. You won't get roomy in a SUV unless you go with a gas pig like a navigator or a suburban.

Toyota sienna. You will not regret it and they drive nice. They have a ton of room and you will need every inch of them. At least test drive it. Your wife will like it and so will you

Yep, we got the limited AWD 2013 with nav, RES, HID lights and all the other stuff. Even installed tracvision in motion satellite TV (rear passenger use only, I know cops are watching the forum, don't get any ideas, lol). I wish they offered the Limited in 8 passenger because we could use the extra seat.

If you get the AWD get a spare tire. It comes with run flats but I don't trust them. When they wear out I'm getting a regular set and a set of snows on spare rims.

To tell you how roomy it is, we can fit our triple stroller which didn't fit in a lot of other vehicles. It fits comfortably in the cargo area.

If you want a sedan that kicks ass and has room for three child seats in the back seat (try to find a sedan with three anchor positions) look at the 2014 Chevrolet SS. It is essentially a Pontiac G8 GT with a bowtie in the grill.. Since they have yet to be introduced (later this year), I'm assuming they will be the same seating arrangement. Lots of room in that car - almost as much in the rear as in the front and 17.5 cu ft of trunk space. Smaller outside dimensions than a Charger, but more room inside in every way. Not sure which engine iteration they're going with but it should be + or - 400 HP. Whohooo! If you buy a minivan or a cute ute, you'll have to turn in your mancard.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Mazda 5?

Too small. And, most likely would not be able to install seats rear facing.

Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade

wife didn't want a minivan

I had (not me, my wife) four kids in three years two weeks, and with all the stuff associated with babys, infants and toddlers, I don't know how you get all that stuff in a smaller vehicle.

I bet I changed more diapers......

Fred

Hyundai Santa Fe - 7 passenger SUV - Bucket seats in the front/Middle rows, bench in the back.

Awesome vehicle, but too small with 3 kids (two infants) and at the very least a double stroller.

Did not read all responses , but Honda pilot fits 3 car seats across with LATCH , and still allows you to fold down 3rd row. We have 3 kids , and 2 huge dogs , that is how we roll. Radian ( now Diono) car seats are the way to go. 5 pounds to 85 pounds in a 5 point harness. Winning. Then up to 120 pounds with a lap belt booster.

Joe , we need to chat , mine 2 youngest are 2 and 4 so I am looking to part with some double baby stuff.

Have you seen the new 2013 model? They stretched it out.

Really, I will have to check it out. I sold my Santa Fe w/ 250,000 on it and it was still running strong... just didn't want to put any more money into suspension,etc. and with 110,00 commute daily, it was more costly on gas than I wanted and I was afraid it would eventually break down on Route 3, etc.

Hyundai Santa Fe - 7 passenger SUV - Bucket seats in the front/Middle rows, bench in the back.

I'd recommend this also. Hyundai cars have won me over for affordability/reliability and good warranty and service!