Sludog

Number of rounds fired in used guns...Are sellers truthful?

I see a lot of used guns for sale on Gun Broker and in shops. A lot of the descriptions add the number of rounds fired. Do you guys think these numbers are accurate or exaggerated to make the sale look like a better deal. Some I have seen advertised are super low like on "one box of ammo shot" or "only three mags fired". Seems weird that someone would shell out $1000 or more on a gun and sell it for a loss because they never used it or did not like it.

In reality.... your average gun will have at most 500 to 1000 rounds through it.....which is nothing.... its like buying a used car with 10k miles on it. It is only the beginning.

most guns are shot at the factory too, so they are not really new per say.

I have had a few guns that I bought over 45k rounds through.... others I have put as many rounds through.

"Only shot by a little old lady after going to church on Sundays..."

Some people may just pick up a gun they think they want (online?) having never handled it, find it's not for them, and just sell it. Most states don't make you go through all the hoops we do, so selling it off to get a new one is no hassle. Or it was a HD gun that sat in a drawer in the nightstand the last 5 years...

I have yet to sell any of mine, but if I did, I have at least a rough estimate of rounds through my guns...

Some are honest, some are not.

I've never mislead anyone about the number of rounds through a gun I have sold.

Also, some guns just lend themselves to a low round count. Snubbie revolvers, heavy magnums, etc. Like my 444p which is about 6.5lbs loaded and has some seriously stout recoil. A serious day at the range with it is a box of 20 rounds. I bought 250 rounds of ammo when I got the gun, I have 50 rounds left, and that's at least 6 years of shooting. So out to the range and fire between 10 and 30 rounds a couple times a year.

I call Bullship on 90% of the rounds though the barrel, since there is no way of telling unless you have some kind of micro scope to really look into the rifling. But even then you can only guesstimate into the hundreds.

I'm not an expert but I did stay a holiday inn last year.

I picked up a Taurus 1911 ALR on GB about a year ago. Buyer said they put about 500 rounds thru it. FFL that received it said there was definitely way more than 500 rounds.

The gun still works and I have no issues with it. Nothing is broken on it. It is accurate. In that case, I don't really care how many rounds are thru it if it functions with no issues.

I guess I don't have hard proof for this, but I would wager people are pretty honest about the round count. I would also say on average

most guns are not shot all that much. The only guns that are shot a lot are competition guns. And most people don't compete. Even if

they do they may not do it all that often. Even a pistol owned by a cop may not see that much action even with all the training. Guess it

depends on what you count as a lot. LIke Maks said, 500-1000 is just about the equivalent of new in my book. 5000-10,000 is light/moderate

use. Not enough to really do anything significant to the gun. Maybe a recoil spring change and that's it.

My bet is that at least half the sellers out there really have no idea how many rounds they have put through the gun. They may make their best guess, but that could be way off. I doubt many shooters actually keep records.

Bets policy is to buy based upon condition and not round count. Hard on a Gunbroker purchase, but that's why I only buy guns face-to-face so I can give them a good once-over.

I would sell the guns because I don't use, to buy something that I would (at least I think I would) use more often. I sold one Mosin Nagant that had 50 rounds through it in 8 years. The ones I kept, have 1000's.

At the price and availability of ammo lately, all of my new guns have very little use. Which is a shame. Sort of like being track car enthusiast with one gallon of gas left and no way to add more unless you pay $40 per gallon extra.

I would get the sense that the GB sellers are more of the honest (straight-shooter, yuk yuk) variety compared to general merchandise auction sites, but there is no way to be sure of course. In the end, there are enough local supplies to buy new in box if I'm not too picky about a specific item.

I call Bullship on 90% of the rounds though the barrel, since there is no way of telling unless you have some kind of micro scope to really look into the rifling. But even then you can only guesstimate into the hundreds.

I'm not an expert but I did stay a holiday inn last year.

i bought mine new and know exactly how many rounds are down the barrel. and what brand and model they are. i keep a log.

i bought mine new and know exactly how many rounds are down the barrel. and what brand and model they are. i keep a log.

Until you cross thousands of rounds. =)

in 95% of the used guns... if someone says they have 250 rounds through it.... and even if it has 1,000.... it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The vast majority of my guns have less than 500 rounds through them.... yet 2 of my guns, I will sometimes put 500 rounds through them in a day. There are some classes out there, where you are required to bring 2,000 rounds of 9mm or pistol caliber of your choice to shoot over 2 days.

I think it is safe to say the guns that are sold out there... will not even be used to 10% of what they were designed for. Ie... it would be a soccer mom buying a Hummer H1 to go grocery shopping.

Flip a coin to determine the truth, you really never know. When I sold my Nano and XD i bought them new and knew the amount of approximate rounds put through them +/- 20. I was honest with the buyers. Most people who know their guns know there is no difference between 300 and 3000 rounds to a gun, Maybe.................................. Springs. And that's a far stretch. (notice all the dots) Point is you just got to go with your gut and hope its right..... Hopefully the person didn't have a round get stuck in the barrel and decide to throw it a couple times.

I guess I don't have hard proof for this, but I would wager people are pretty honest about the round count. I would also say on average

most guns are not shot all that much. The only guns that are shot a lot are competition guns. And most people don't compete. Even if

they do they may not do it all that often. Even a pistol owned by a cop may not see that much action even with all the training. Guess it

depends on what you count as a lot. LIke Maks said, 500-1000 is just about the equivalent of new in my book. 5000-10,000 is light/moderate

use. Not enough to really do anything significant to the gun. Maybe a recoil spring change and that's it.

+1