IronPriest

Pulled over with CRKT Rescue Tool

I carried one of these as a firefighter, and still have one in my car. It's all I need(short of jaws of life) to get myself out of the car. To me, yes I would consider your rescue tool as a knife since it has a cutting edge. My tool has a cutting edge for the seat belt, but it is covered by the plastic piece so it cannot be used as a knife. Has a window punch, works as a spanner wrench and has a spot to shut off gas valves on houses.

I get that it has a cutting edge, but without a pointy tip, it's nothing more than a bread-cutter or condiment spreader. And it has a lawful purpose for being in my glove box.

Another reason to keep your license, registation and insurance ID card in your wallet. They can't see something in the glove box until you open it.

all mine are in my wallet, no room in the glove box for it..

I get that it has a cutting edge, but without a pointy tip, it's nothing more than a bread-cutter or condiment spreader. And it has a lawful purpose for being in my glove box.

so it can be used for.slicing and slashing. Thats a dangerous weapon in my eyes. Like i said before, it would.be confiscated for the duration of the stop.

so it can be used for.slicing and slashing. Thats a dangerous weapon in my eyes. Like i said before, it would.be confiscated for the duration of the stop.

I can appreciate that, but it never occurred to me because without a pointy tip, it's not dangerous in my eyes. He did take it during the stop, but my problem was the he insisted that it was a knife that he could "arrest me" for having.

Since when does nomenclature have anything to do with what constitutes a weapon.

Baseball bat, crow bar, broken beer bottle. All have lawful purpose - sporting equipment, tool, trash. Each can be used to assault or kill.

You reach for one while I am talking to you we will have an issue.

Here the deal. The problem here is that You are a good person. Sounds weird, I know, but let me explain.

You would never think of using that tool for anything other than it's intended purpose, because you are a good person

You assume that everyone has good intentions just like you, because you are a good person

You don't like it when someone (in this case a Cop) treats you like you would do something a bad person would do, because you are a good person.

I get it. We all do. Again, don't take it personally, it isn't you - it is us.

Again, it isn't personal. We have just learned to be cautious and to treat everyone the same - Pleasant to everyone, friendly to none unless we are given a reason to be less than pleasant.

I get the laws are convoluted. I get that anything can be a weapon when used as such. I still don't care. A knife is a tool just like a hammer. Would I be deprived of my tool belt sitting in my backseat? How about a small screwdriver sitting on my passenger seat? A knife ain't nothing special and it is not illegal. If you say it is, show me the statute.

If I am following normal etiquette for a traffic stop (i.e. hand on the steering wheel, engine off, interior lights on, all windows cracked with the exception of the driver's window which is fully open) and I get flak for a tool that just so happens to be sitting on my passenger seat which I've made zero effort to reach for, I am going to have a problem and I will try my hardest to ensure the traffic stop is as difficult as possible from that point on. There will be no consent to search and I will cooperate as little as possible.

I carry a knife on my person when I'm out of the house and I have a copy of Title 2C in my glove box at all times. I will make sure we have plenty of time to discuss the law. I am an otherwise respectful person and I have a huge amount of respect for LEOs (I'm in school for Criminal Justice), but there's a line that when crossed, I lose respect very quickly. Respect is a two-way street and there is no law that says I need to be respectful to a cop that's being asinine.

I was trying to prevent my untimely demise at the hands of a burning vehicle, which is clearly messing with fate and, therefore, forbidden.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but what do you think of when you think rescue tool?

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000IDYKNC/

Keep it attached to your car keys - much easier to get to the ignition than to reach across the car into the glove box when you're car is upside down in a ditch. K.I.S.S.

Just read through these threads for a minute........can you seriously believe we live in this State under these conditions.....can't carry a pocket knife without the threat of a felony conviction.......Geeezzzz......and the citizens here allow this to happen. Y'all need to take a step back and look at what this state and it's lawyer politicians have created........troubling...IMO.

OK. So think outside the box. Keep everything you would need in the event of a traffic stop someplace else then. A lot of people keep that stuff in their wallet, the visor, in a center console.

I thought this was common sense. I keep mine clipped to the passenger sun visor. No one needs to see in any compartments in my vehicle and I don't have to rifle through all kinds of crap in the glovebox. Cops get nervous during traffic stops, just as I would. Why not take every opportunity to eliminate this potential friction?

Whether this cop was right or wrong, it never had to get that far in the first place.

I have a friend who was stupid once and was stopped and arrested for a more serious issue.

He had a small cheap Chinese pocket knife in his pocket that the police confiscated and didn't give back. As far as I know they didn't even tell him about it. It just wasn't with his stuff when he got it back.

The knife wasn't part of the offense or involved in anyway involved with what he did.

Egg-zactly---I would bet that 'I felt threatened by the LEO because of a bad experience the other day with a LEO' excuse wouldn't sit well with LEOs, for an uncooperative stoppee, hm? Remember, cops work for us, not the other way around. Get involved. Know your local cops, at least. Go to PBA fundraisers, chat with the guy getting coffee at Wawa.

Respect is a two-way street and there is no law that says I need to be respectful to a cop that's being asinine.

No it is not illegal to have a knife in your car. If you you have a legitimate purpose for the knife, you can have it in your car, on your person, wherever. Just don't go reaching for it/near it/towards it while speaking to a LEO.

If the OP had the knife, sorry - "tool", somewhere he didn't have to reach into, this would be a non-issue.

If I had a dollar for every person that pulled a knife out of their pocket to show it to me after I asked if they had any weapons, I could retire right now. They weren't bad guys. In fact I will guarantee that most of them had never even gotten a ticket before. They were all good people that had no intention of hurting anyone, we're nervous talking to a Cop, and had no clue that someone could interpret the innocent attempt at answering my question by showing me what they had in their pocket as anything other than an attempt at being helpful - because to them it wasn't a threat, they were trying to be honest.

Every bad guy that I have ever caught with any weapon small enough to conceal has simply told me where it was when asked. They never reach for it, they simply say "I have a knife/box cutter/scissors/whatever from work. It's in my front right/back left/wherever pocket" and let me grab it. They have had more interactions with LEOs so they know what to do.

This whole back and forth between cops and civilians on this forum is getting old. We get it that its a hard job. Possibly dangerous. But the way I look at it is personal liberty is more important than the cops personal safety. Sorry. Just the way it is. Stop using the excuse that cops are just doing their job and they deal with a holes all day. I'm sure cops would be safer if after every traffic stop they cuffed me and searched my car before talking to me. If you don't have a reason to arrest me or suspect I am doing something more illegal than driving faster than the tax collector says I can on that road. Than give me my ticket and move along

Walking through Times Square last year, I brought a 10 lb slegdehammer from home being that we needed it at work. It's obvious that I'm in construction. Boots, jacket, green vest etc. Cop#1 asks me as I walk right past him "hey, what's that for?" I say as I keep on walking "it's a slegdehammer, what do you think it's for?" Cop #2 tells me to stop but I keep going. Cop #2 run in front of me and tells me that she said to stop. I stopped, listened to her asking me for ID and where I was going and just looked at her. After two or three mniutes, she stopped, looks like she realized the stupidity of this and walked away. I threw it back on my shoulder and kept on walking.

I'm not paranoid, don't fear terrorist or criminals and won't put up with cops bs either. The 'doing their jobs' thing is bs.

To be frank, keeping any weapon, object that looks like a weapon, or can be used as a weapon, in a part of the car that you need to reach into for any Police interaction is dumb, even if it is not illegal.

That being said, the knife probably scared the Cop. When we get scared we get defensive (that whole "cops are part of the human race too" thing). For all you knew, last week some douchebag pulled a knife from the glove box and took a swipe at him.

Believe it or not, people don't always like us. Some people don't like us so much that of given the chance they will stab/shoot/bludgeon/punch/kick etc... This makes us wary. Sometimes that comes off as being gruff or rude - please don't take it personally. It isn't you, it's us.

Consider it professional detachment due to heightened situational awareness when something doesn't feel right. It gets more noticeable when a situation goes from "routine" - traffic stop for unregistered with a guy not making the spidey senses twitch to "exceptional" - WTF was that? A K-Bar in the glove box that he just reached in?

Think about your job. How when something out of the normal happens and you need to pay closer attention to figure it out. You get focused sometimes to the exclusion of social niceties.

Is that tool an "illegal" knife. No.

Can you be arrested for reaching for it while on a traffic stop? You bet your bippy.

ETA: Your tool looks a lot like a big brother to my Böker "Cop Tool" that I carry at work and in my personal car.

9718F2A7-4DA5-49F3-A942-77F3F27A426D-2786-0000031F90C7B7F0_zpse34e15a4.jpg

I understand all of that, and I understand your reaction.

You do realize, of course, that in most states, you'd be dealing with handguns falling out of glove boxes on a weekly or monthly basis as people went for their registration. And you would NOT be able to arrest them for "reaching for it." It would be part of the job. People keep weapons in glove boxes and center consoles. People happen to keep vehicle registration in the same places. Get rid of vehicle registration and the problem is solved.

I keep my registration in my door side pocket. I don't keep guns there. You will have to break into my glove box or break into my trunk. My glove box is locked and my trunk is disabled. You will not find the key, and it is not on my person. I will not open them for you.

I got pulled over a couple months ago. I was going the speed limit. I had a failed inspection sticker on my 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. I show the cop the paperwork that says I still have another 3 weeks to make the repairs. He hands me back my papers and then the questions start.

Cop....... So, Where are you going? Wawa. What for? To meet a guy. Who are you meeting? At this point I got annoyed by his useless questions that have NOTHING to do with anything that is his business. "I am selling a guy some camera bags that I advertised on craigslist. They are in plain sight, in the back of car. Look and see".

Then he starts to grill me on the LL bean keyring nail file, tweezer, toothpick, knife, flashlight combo in my center console.

Whats that? A multitool for a keyring. What do you use it for? I use it to clean my nails. Can I go now?

He then wishes me a nice day. Yeah, right back at ya.

Can you imagine if I had been on the way to the range with a trunk load of guns?

i've never been questioned on my knife that i keep clipped on my pocket. i think it's legal.

i have had police question me as to to/from locations though.

officer: where were you headed tonight

me: somewhere besides where i was.(in a very polite tone of course)

officer: where were you coming from?(in a somewhat terse tone)

me: the place i no longer wanted to be which lead me to head to the other place, and to this unplanned stop(again very polite)

officer: wait here.

25 minutes later he came back with my tickets for expired reg, and no current insurance card. during the wait, his partner(or backup) came up to my car from the passengers side(he thought i didn't see him walking up), and began shining his flashlight into the back seat of my car, like he was looking for something.

So what is the rule on knives in cars? I have a pocket knife that has about a 3" or 4" locking blade in my center console for things like cutting a seat belt - is that legal or illegal?

BTW - the link the OP posted has a video in it by the company that makes the device. I only watched the first 30 seconds, but the guy calls the thing a knife at least three times. When the company that makes it calls it a knife I think if it ever went to court you would lose - it is a knife.

Ok, although I am not a LEO, I was on my way to become one (taking courses in college like Criminal Justice, Criminology and Policing Science.) I was also an Aux. Police officer for about a year for my township police dept. So, I have heard some of the stories and know what these guys (not all) are looking for. I will make this easy...

1. When being pulled over, pull over right away. We all know it takes these guys a few minutes to get out of their car because they are letting HQ know where they are and your plate #.

2. With the time it takes for him to get out the car, if its night time turn on your interior lights of the car. ALSO, take this time to pop open your "glove box" and get your paper work out.

3. Place it on your lap or dash board. Then place both hands on steering wheel.

4. He approaches, hand him your stuff. If you need to go into your pocket state to him that you are going into your back pocket, or where ever it may be. They more comfortable you make them the better it will go for you.

We all hate getting pulled over but if we give them the least to question us about the better it is going to go.

It's a knife.... that's my take. This is what most people envision as a rescue tool..

This is what I envision when someone says Rescue Tool.

LifeHammer The Original Auto Escape Rescue Tool

LH01a.jpg