IronPriest

Pulled over with CRKT Rescue Tool

Ok, although I am not a LEO, I was on my way to become one (taking courses in college like Criminal Justice, Criminology and Policing Science.) I was also an Aux. Police officer for about a year for my township police dept. So, I have heard some of the stories and know what these guys (not all) are looking for. I will make this easy...

1. When being pulled over, pull over right away. We all know it takes these guys a few minutes to get out of their car because they are letting HQ know where they are and your plate #.

2. With the time it takes for him to get out the car, if its night time turn on your interior lights of the car. ALSO, take this time to pop open your "glove box" and get your paper work out.

3. Place it on your lap or dash board. Then place both hands on steering wheel.

4. He approaches, hand him your stuff. If you need to go into your pocket state to him that you are going into your back pocket, or where ever it may be. They more comfortable you make them the better it will go for you.

We all hate getting pulled over but if we give them the least to question us about the better it is going to go.

I disagree with the second part of 2. I don't want to see you leaning for anything. When I ask for your papers tell me they are in the glove box and then retrieve them.

If I am following normal etiquette for a traffic stop (i.e. hand on the steering wheel, engine off, interior lights on, all windows cracked with the exception of the driver's window which is fully open) and I get flak for a tool that just so happens to be sitting on my passenger seat which I've made zero effort to reach for, I am going to have a problem and I will try my hardest to ensure the traffic stop is as difficult as possible from that point on. There will be no consent to search and I will cooperate as little as possible.

This. Although I do keep my docs on my visor--the wife prefers to keep them in the glovebox of her car. If stopped, my response is to crack the window, put both hands on the steering wheel, and wait for instructions. I do not prematurely reach for ANYTHING either before he gets out of his car or after. Once instructed for docs, I tell him exactly where I am going to retrieve them, preferably with weak side hand. If by virtue of my being forthcoming and doing my absolute BEST to try and give him the sense that I am looking out for MY safety as well as HIS, he still reacts in an authoritative manner--I then go into least cooperation mode within the law. I am not a criminal, and will not be treated as such.

LifeHammer The Original Auto Escape Rescue Tool

LH01a.jpg

That's exactly what's in the door compartment of my truck--but with how all of these situations are going, I'd be willing to bet that even though the "blade" section of that tool is largely restricted, it still has a "striking device" section that SOMEONE would consider a "weapon".

Ok, although I am not a LEO, I was on my way to become one (taking courses in college like Criminal Justice, Criminology and Policing Science.) I was also an Aux. Police officer for about a year for my township police dept. So, I have heard some of the stories and know what these guys (not all) are looking for. I will make this easy...

1. When being pulled over, pull over right away. We all know it takes these guys a few minutes to get out of their car because they are letting HQ know where they are and your plate #.

2. With the time it takes for him to get out the car, if its night time turn on your interior lights of the car. ALSO, take this time to pop open your "glove box" and get your paper work out.

3. Place it on your lap or dash board. Then place both hands on steering wheel.

4. He approaches, hand him your stuff. If you need to go into your pocket state to him that you are going into your back pocket, or where ever it may be. They more comfortable you make them the better it will go for you.

We all hate getting pulled over but if we give them the least to question us about the better it is going to go.

I dont like #2. Dont go digging around anywhere until he asks for the papers. Then say they are in the glove box and retrieve them.

It shouldn't be... The blade can't be used to cut or stab. Only a seat belt thick size material or cord/rope.

That's exactly what's in the door compartment of my truck--but with how all of these situations are going, I'd be willing to bet that even though the "blade" section of that tool is largely restricted, it still has a "striking device" section that SOMEONE would consider a "weapon".

I dont like #2.  Dont go digging around anywhere until he asks for the papers.  Then say they are in the glove box and retrieve them.

Didn't see a citation of law for #s 1, 2, 3, or 4.I don't care what anybody likes. It's not my job to make you happy, my job is to make sure you don't abuse my rights. Think you can railroad me? You are being watched. And you can't physically seize the evidence against you, because it is offsite in real time.

You worry too much...

If anyone fears owning one of these or any knife, feel free to send them all to me... ;)

Right-so the blade wouldn't be considered a knife, but the ends used for breaking glass could be.

Didn't see a citation of law for #s 1, 2, 3, or 4.I don't care what anybody likes. It's not my job to make you happy, my job is to make sure you don't abuse my rights. Think you can railroad me? You are being watched. And you can't physically seize the evidence against you, because it is offsite in real time.

I like this. If you cops are paranoid, quit.

I disagree with the second part of 2. I don't want to see you leaning for anything. When I ask for your papers tell me they are in the glove box and then retrieve them.

Link to the statue or law that I would be in violation to?

I dont like #2. Dont go digging around anywhere until he asks for the papers. Then say they are in the glove box and retrieve them.

Oh stop...

Thats the thing...WE are being "pulled over" for a traffic violation. It is not our fault that they are paranoid to the point where they PROFILE every pull over to be "at large" or "armed and dangerous". YES, there is precautions you LEOs take...LIKE CARRYING A GUN...but dont give my the poppy cock attitude like "Do as I say when I say to do it"...

Cops worrying about potential threats to their safety is not paranoid.

\Citizens waiving their rights to the fears of cops is paranoia.

First off no one said they are waiving rights. Secondly....POs or any LEOs signed up for this...to SERVE and PROTECT...our rights and well being. Soooo yes if me making "moves" after I followed the law and pulled over for his lights,sirens,or direct order makes him fear that I am "acting in a criminal manner" then hate to say it my friend, thats paranoia.

First off no one said they are waiving rights. Secondly....POs or any LEOs signed up for this...to SERVE and PROTECT...our rights and well being. Soooo yes if me making "moves" after I followed the law and pulled over for his lights,sirens,or direct order makes him fear that I am "acting in a criminal manner" then hate to say it my friend, thats paranoia.

I don't care about a cop's "paranoia," as you put it, unless it involves and infringement of my rights.

If it does, you can be damn sure I will address it. And there will be results.

On the other hand (LOL), I do care quite a bit about people consenting to waiving their rights to cops.

Unfortunately, there is less I can do to address that.

The riverhead of rights abuses is waiving of rights by the citizenry. If you keep rolling over I'm sure the next cop that meets me will consider my behavior as "uncooperative" or "suspicious." Don't complain, walk the walk. And, BTW, support the cops who are doing a good job. And let their superiors and municipalities know.

I'm going to say one thing in defense of LEO...

- If you still live on a fooking planet that shows where LEO are not targets of opportunity, then you are from fooking Mars.

- A high percentage of criminals are arrested during routine traffic stops.

- It's a LEOs duty to look at the whole picture no matter what to assess the situation.

- Just the fact that he made a statement regarding the alleged knife then let you pass shows discretion and he's done his job.

- If you feel that a LEO is feeling paranoid, read above. OR, try standing on the other side of a barrel.

- If you feel nervous, jerky, or put out of place, then maybe you ARE guilty of something.

- And finally, if you feel they are not doing their job properly, by all means. Rewrite the rules of engagement and present it to them. Otherwise, let them do their fooking jobs without bitching.

Lock it down mods... It never fails...

I keep my registration in my door side pocket. I don't keep guns there. You will have to break into my glove box or break into my trunk. My glove box is locked and my trunk is disabled. You will not find the key, and it is not on my person. I will not open them for you.

Yep, I was taught in a CDL class that you should keep your documents in the side pocket or on the seat. In my cars always keep them together in an envelope in the side pocket except my DL in my wallet.