Pizza Bob

NICS Solutions and my letter to MPC

While I personally have not yet been affected by the extended NICS processing time, I soon will be. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, so I started thinking about what could be done, on a temporary basis, to alleviate the condition. I put my thoughts down in a letter to MPC, since I knew he was already working on this mess. Here's the letter...

Dear Assemblyman Carroll:

I write to you on the above-captioned topic because I know you are both a sympathetic ear and that you are already aware of the situation as it currently stands. I would also hope that, through your good office, it will find its way to the right people to implement a solution. I am not writing to complain, but rather to offer some possible short-term solutions. I have several ideas as to how the issue of excessive (and that’s being kind) delays of NICS approvals can be remedied.

As I understand it, NJ has chosen to be a POC NICS state. The logic behind this is that the NJSP add content to the regular NICS check as generated by the FBI NICS database. The current procedure, again as I understand it, is that the FFL faxes a NICS request to the NJSP provided number. The number sends those faxes to a third party, Champion Communications, in Florida. They bundle the requests – by some unknown criteria (and I certainly hope that they are not building a database of firearms NICS requests in violation of federal law) – and forward them to the NJSP Firearms Unit. There, the actual federal NICS check is undertaken, combined with whatever local content there is (speculation is that it relates to mental health) and then phones the submitting FFL with either an approval or denial. At this point, this “instant” process is running about 10 – 12 days in most cases.

The sheer volume of NICS requests, the inclusion of a third party, and the NJSP’s supposed reluctance to add clerical personnel are the reasons for the major delays. I understand that the inclusion of the Florida entity is in preparation for the design of a new e-check system. When this is actually supposed to become operational, no one seems to know, but the fact is that we need relief now.

Here is what I propose:

1) For the period of time until the e-check system becomes operational, waive the OGAM (one gun a month) requirement. Purchaser ID cards (long guns) and Purchase Permits (handguns) would still be required. One of the main concerns is that with the added delay of the NICS checks, coupled with the extended time that is required to obtain purchase permits, often times the permits expire before the holder gets a chance to use them. By removing the OGAM stricture, people could make multiple purchases requiring only one NICS check or make several purchases within the, normally restricted, 30 day time frame, thus optimizing permit use.

2) Alternately, extend all purchase permits to nine months (270 days) and remove the discretion of the local CLEO in granting permit extensions – just have an expiration date 270 days from the issue date.

3) Furnish to all FFL’s the FBI NICS phone number (as is used in the “free states”). Allow the FFL’s to use that number for handgun sales only. Since there is already the need to obtain a purchase permit to acquire a handgun, and since a component in the issuance of that permit is a local mental health check, there should be no need for the NJSP to subject these applicants to the full process – it’s redundant (as is the whole system anyway – but that’s another issue). For long guns, retain the current POC NICS check to ensure that no mental health issues have presented themselves between the time the purchaser ID card was issued and the time of the sale. In a nutshell: Handguns = Federal NICS only / Long guns = Regular POC NICS check as is currently done. This would alleviate the crush of applications to be processed, since only the long gun purchases would be processed by the NJSP, thus, once again making the check system “instant”.

Some of these solutions may require legislative action to effect, some may be done by executive order. They can be used only until the demand slackens, or until the e-check system is operational. But something needs to be done, and it needs to be done now. Just imagine if there was this kind of delay in processing assistance checks. The legislature would facing a rioting populous. Yet this is worse as we are being denied the exercise of a constitutional right.

The NICS system came into being, and was supported by the NRA because of that second letter in the acronym – “I” for Instant. When it is no longer instant it abrogates our constitutional rights.

I hope that this gives you some food for thought and a direction for action. This needs to be addressed now.

Sincerely,

MPC responded that he is looking into whether the NJSP really do add content, or just cause a bottleneck. His preferred solution is to use the FBI NICS check only, and eliminate the NJSP from the process.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this train of thought, this is not something that can be accomplished quickly. My goal was to offer short term solutions, until the "crush" passes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good luck Bob. This state still has done little to help those that are still homeless after Sandy, do you think anyone in Trenton gives a flying-f&%# regarding any of us buying guns? Anyway, well-written, I applaud your time and efforts, would be great to see something like that implemented, but I won't hold my breath!

Even though I'm still waiting-and probably have another 6 weeks according to the wonderful Kingwood SP on my P2P- I too will be copying and pasting this in an email to DiMaio, Peterson, and Christie.

This is inherently an even dumber system (if that's possible) than FPID and P2P process. WE HAVE A FEDERAL NICS SYSTEM.

Add in the fact that one of the most knowledgable guys here is writing this entire process out with what "he believes" happens-this whole process (including the name of the 3rd party) should be posted in detail on the NJSP page. Not pieced together playing better detective than Charles Mainor.

With the mass retirements ongoing with the state police something has to be done, their numbers went down by at least 400 in the last few years and NOTHING is being done. They have been in the process of "civilianizing" many of the desk jobs but is a very slow process and meeting resistance every inch of the way including a hiring freeze from Christie. They will need to be ordered to speed up the process as they will not do it on their own. Has anyone looked deeply into the NICS law and see if they are violating any of provisions for being a POC state?

Will be sending a version to all of my state reps, all are at least somewhat pro 2A and will be sending a copy to my federal assemblyman, since he has been somewhat pro 2A as well.

Thanks-

Can someone explain to me why I need to go through an entire new application (minus fingerprinting) to get a second pistol, yet I can buy all the rifles and shotguns I want (NICS delays or no NICS delays)?

Why is all the frenzy about the scary black 'assault rifle', when I can buy all the AR15s I want, yet the little .22 Ruger needs a full re-application process, thus bogging down a local PD Detective full-time (not to mention all of the other people in the process)?

Why do I need to show my FID card to buy 9mm but walk out with .223 or 12ga by asking the counter person to hand over a few boxes? I don't mind showing my card so the clerk can record the details in some archaic log book, but why the different standards?

I'm guessing some lawmaker made a compromise for hunting use at some point to get support for the rule.

Can someone explain to me why I need to go through an entire new applicsation (minus fingerprinting) to get a second pistol, yet I can buy all the rifles and shotguns I want (NICS delays or no NICS delays)?

Because most criminals prefer handguns. The most desirable feature for a criminal is concealability.

One of the most popular Saturday Night Special is a 22 revolver. Because the combustion of a 22 is not as high, performance tolerances can be a lot looser and cheaper to make. The revolver is also mechanically simpler not to break or jam, since criminals probably aren't big on cleaning.

Because most criminals prefer handguns. The most desirable feature for a criminal is concealability.

One of the most popular Saturday Night Special is a 22 revolver. Because the combustion of a 22 is not as high, performance tolerances can be a lot looser and cheaper to make. The revolver is also mechanically simpler not to break or jam, since criminals probably aren't big on cleaning.

You do realize that "Saturday Night Special" is another made-up media term, like "assault weapon". And the term applied to any cheaply made handgun, not just .22's. Handguns used to be given away as premiums with tobacco products. They were just the "focus du jour", again like black rifles are today.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The term has been around for nearly 100 years, carrying various connotations, including racial overtones.

I don't wear tin foil hats.

I believe it originated in the Reconstruction period South, when attempts were made to prevent freed slaves from being armed by banning the inexpensive firearms they could afford.

I believe it originated in the Reconstruction period South, when attempts were made to prevent freed slaves from being armed by banning the inexpensive firearms they could afford.

I think you are about right, or decade soon after.

One of the references that stood out for me was Nixon mentioning wanting to ban cheap guns.

Cheap, but gotta admit, a 22 can be effective.