anactivegrenade

Almost got my FID, but...

...but my town's PD is seriously screwing with me.

Reference letters were sent from the PD at the start of March, and my references sent them back promptly. I called at the end of March, and they never received my neighbor's letter.

They said they were going to send another one out to my neighbor. Two weeks later, my neighbor has yet to receive it.

What the heck can I do at this point? I already met with my mayor, which is the reason why my reference letters actually got sent the first time around. I've got a rifle waiting for me at Monmouth Arms, and it's been there since January..

Any advice, guys?

Edit: I applied for my FID on November 15th of last year.

brocglock23 - Damn, I was considering it but hoped it didn't have to go that far. My neighbor is super nice, but I'd hate to be an annoying fly on his back. *sigh*, looks like I'm gonna have to bake some pastries to not have him hate me... lol

elgre - You know what, I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if I can do that. That'll be a great idea if my PD allows it.

When my town said a reference didn't receive a letter I had them email it to me and faxed it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My one friend faxes everything back. For whatever reason people seem to use him as a reference a lot and he got sick and tired of mailing them out just to hear, "sorry, we didn't get it". Now he keeps the copy of the fax transmission until the permits come in. He said it has helped the process a few times where they magically found it after he told them he could send them a copy of the receipt.

I have dealt with the same thing back when I lived in Hackensack. Each time, every time, something happened with a reference letter. I told the chief back then it seemed too much of a coincidence.

Either they are completely incompetent and cannot complete simple paperwork or this is a stalling technique to either give them more time or discourage you from moving forward.

First-What town is this?

2nd--Registered mail for returns. I have been through this many times--'we never received the letters from your reference'. So now I have the returner send it reg mail, recpt requested or whatever the cheapest option for tracking is. And I either do the same for them or pay them for it.

I too have encountered the magical "we don't have your references back yet" for a friend. When I asked where I could email the scan of the original filled out for, they subsequently "found" the form I had previously mailed.

Hey anti-gun PDs, we know your techniques. Try again.

Beotch and Moan all you want, but why on earth do you think you should be "special"? When my Eagle Scout turned 18 we went to the PD together and did all of the forms, fingerprints (old-style with real INK), paid for the processing, etc. We lived together at the same address his entire life. SIX MONTHS LATER his NJ FID was finally ready! And this was 5 years ago, long before the "Big Awakening" of so many Gun Virgins like yourself clogging-up "the system", lol! So you're not alone my friend....

As others have said, stay on top of it. And here's a little more insight: There is no Firearms Division in local Police Departments (in most cases), so the regular Detectives take turns doing this desk duty (hated by most) and welcome the opportunity to do real Police work like interview witnesses, photograph crime scenes, go on a stake-out, give courtroom testimonies, process prisoners, drive out-of-town to criminology classes, etc., etc. When there's absolutely nuthin else to do on a rainy day, the processing of forms gets done, SO HOPE FOR MORE RAIN and keep the faith!

Dave

Old Fudd who's seen it all...

Update: Called them again this Monday, same response as last time "just wait for us to call you."

I need some advice. I'm utterly confused because the ENTIRE PROCESS IS DONE. The Chief just needs to sign off. But the detective keeps telling me that "he's still working on it." WTF do I do? I want to give him an attitude and rip him for BSing me, but at this point, he can pretend to lose my app, and delay me for a few more months if I piss him off.

Should I just sit tight at this point, or keep calling them?

I'm not sure what type of government Linden has but find out who oversees the police department and call them. Maybe a city commissioner, maybe the mayor. Contact your state senators and assemblymen and ask for their help. Usually, their staff will make phone calls to grease the wheels. Make these contacts by phone, that gets more of a response.

If that doesn't work, have a lawyer call the mayor.

Update: Called them again this Monday, same response as last time "just wait for us to call you."

I need some advice. I'm utterly confused because the ENTIRE PROCESS IS DONE. The Chief just needs to sign off. But the detective keeps telling me that "he's still working on it." WTF do I do? I want to give him an attitude and rip him for BSing me, but at this point, he can pretend to lose my app, and delay me for a few more months if I piss him off.

Should I just sit tight at this point, or keep calling them?

Can you contact a local (state) representative and let them know what is going on?

I am in the same boat but with the NJSP. I call every 2 weeks just to make sure there is nothing I need to do on my end and always ask why it is taking so long.

Good luck!

I'm gonna still call them, even if it pisses them off. I'm attempting to meet with my district's senator. I was originally doing it to discuss gun control with him as he's been fairly neutral thus-far, but I think I'll need to take advantage of my visit with him. I already talked to my city councilman, my mayor.. this is getting tiring.

I want my effing FID so I can get a firearm before the laws change, the FID system is revamped, and my application is trashed.

What town? Jackson did this shit to my dad and tried to do it to me. Hell when i went into get my app people were conplaining aboit lost references and how its bs. I opted for certified mail and threw a sign reciept in theyre face when they pulled this shit. Good luck

What town? Jackson did this shit to my dad and tried to do it to me. Hell when i went into get my app people were conplaining aboit lost references and how its bs. I opted for certified mail and threw a sign reciept in theyre face when they pulled this shit. Good luck

Yep...mine was Jackson too. My references never even received their letters. I had to go pick up and hand deliver both ways. The ones in the mail magically showed up in a day or two. Funny...I didn't know it took 3 weeks for intra-town USPS deliveries.

I am having similar problem. Started process end of Jan & one reference received ppwk pretty quickly. One hasn't received it at all. I have emailed and left VMs for the detective in charge of the FIDs and only received one email back at the beginning of March saying he would send the ppwk back out.

My 2nd reference still hasn't received. I must have sent the detetective 4 or 5 additional emails & vms since then and not received a reply. Yesterday I went down to the station (which is unmanned as we now share services/dispatcher with other town) and I left another vm at the "callbox" for the detective and the person in charge of the records dept (they set up appointments for FIDs). I requested another appointment to check on the status of my application and to see if they have mailed out the ppwk for my 2nd reference as it has been over 2 months and they haven't received it.

In previous emails & vms I have asked if the application can be emailed or faxed to my reference, if I should us a different reference who is closer (the 2nd ref lives in NYC) or if I could stop by the station, pick up the paperwork and hand deliver it my reference as their office is 3 blocks from me in NYC. No reply to anything since beginning of March.

In all of my correspondences I have been professional and nice but this is getting a little ridiculous. I realize they are busy and have offered to assist them in getting the paperwork back to them and I have receive no reply at all in 2 months. I realize it can take 6 months to complete the process but I like to stay on top of things to know they are proceeding smoothly (which obviously it isn't). Who should I contact next? Call the Chief of police to inquire?